iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Residing a Pennsylvania Barn

Started by Colonel_O, January 05, 2017, 05:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colonel_O

My cousin's dairy barn was built in 1855 by my grandfather's grandfather.  It has been used hard and is need of repairs.  Milk prices are at very low levels and limited funds are available, but my cousin does have 100 acres of timber and a lot of hemlock.  I recently purchased a Woodmizer and needed to learn how to use it...so we started!  We brought the logs down from the woods and cut 4/4 x 16' siding, 2x8s, and several 20' replacement beams.  An Amish crew came in on a Monday and tore off the old siding (held on with cut nails), replaced beams, built doors, and nailed up 80' worth of siding to finish the barn hill side, and were gone by lunch on Tuesday.  Oh--they also poured/finished a truck's worth of concrete.  Hard workers!  We learned something every time we cut a board and still have a long way to go to get "good" at it--let alone fast!  When we first started, my older cousin labeled us "the log a day boys" in keeping with our limited production.  Here are some pictures--we'll start cutting for the remaining three sides of the barn soon.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35-RS. Logrite Buck Arch.   US Marine Corps (retired)

ozarkgem

Nice looking job. Think what that would have cost if you had to buy all that lumber. Went a long way toward paying for the mill.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Unbelievable Colonel.....looks great and good pictures.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

Good job by the sawyer and the builders.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

edwin dirnbeck

What a beautiful and uplifting post. I would pay to watch these craftsman work. It inspired me to start on my long delayed project. Thanks again, Edwin Dirnbeck

Kbeitz

Me and my son was up last spring to give you an estimate for repair
on that old barn... Glad you found someone to fix it.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

John S

Great work for your first project.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

bill m

Impressive they did all that in one and one half days.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

drobertson

Very nice, I bet them folks liked building with that lumber,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Colonel_O

Thanks for the positive comments!  Look for part 2 around April. We're going to cut for the East and West sides this winter as weather permits.  I have learned an awful lot by reading this forum and need to do some research on sawing frozen logs.  I'm currently using 7 degree blades--should I switch to something else?  Any other tips appreciated!

samandothers

Great job!  Looks really good.

Did the pre build some panels on the  ground and the nail up and in fill the boards?

Colonel_O

They built the frames for the 4 barn doors on the ground, hung them on the new door rail, then screwed the boards in.  They nailed the regular siding.  They're building the door frames in one of the pictures (using hay bales for saw horses--I just noticed that!).

samandothers

Well that would certainly make it easier to add the doors! Thanks

Gundog

What did you do with the old siding? Around here you get big dollars for old barn wood and rusty tin roofing. Nice work by the way.

Bama_Mill

Great work! Looks like it's ready for another 150 years.

Czech_Made

fishfighter

Thanks for posting. I really enjoyed the pictures. It gives me an outlook to how other people do things in other places in the country. ;D

Roxie

What a great job for such a worthy project!  Can't wait to see the rest of the story.   :)
Say when

Lumber Grader

Thanks for sharing!  The Amish are incredibly skilled at carpentry work and most things they do.  Your grandchildren should be enjoying this barn years from now.  Thanks for this incredible post. Did not see in your post what specie of lumber you used for barn siding. I know most folks like white oak, as the pores keep water out making it more durable in the weather.  What specie did you use to rebuild your barn?

Colonel_O

Quote from: Gundog on January 05, 2017, 09:29:56 PM
What did you do with the old siding? Around here you get big dollars for old barn wood and rusty tin roofing. Nice work by the way.

The old siding is in a pile by the side of the barn.  Would love to sell it--I know price varies widely on siding but trying to get a feel for what the market is like. 

Colonel_O

Quote from: Lumber Grader on January 06, 2017, 01:22:29 PM
Thanks for sharing!  The Amish are incredibly skilled at carpentry work and most things they do.  Your grandchildren should be enjoying this barn years from now.  Thanks for this incredible post. Did not see in your post what specie of lumber you used for barn siding. I know most folks like white oak, as the pores keep water out making it more durable in the weather.  What specie did you use to rebuild your barn?

We used eastern hemlock.  They already had quite a bit cut down.  We put it up green--will wait for it to season and then paint.  I'm trying to determine what some of the old beams are--chestnut was a predominant hardwood in the 1850s--the blight didn't kill them until the early 1900s...I'd like to think there's some chestnut in that barn but still investigating.  Any tips on identification are welcome.

Magicman

Good job.  I need that crew to work on my barn. 

Barn lumber like that is a hot item in restaurants such as Red Lobster.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Colonel_O

Quote from: Magicman on January 06, 2017, 05:36:22 PM
Good job.  I need that crew to work on my barn. 

Barn lumber like that is a hot item in restaurants such as Red Lobster.

It's 12 degrees here--I'm sure they would love to head South for awhile!

Ron Wenrich

I have an old house from the 1850s period.  Not a lick of chestnut in it, and I'm from Lebanon county.  My guess is that white pine is more apt for your area.  Williamsport was the lumber capital of the world back around that time frame - 1840-1850.  Chestnut grew after the hemlock and white pine were cut off. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Colonel_O

Thanks Ron.  The old siding definitely looks like pine.  Stop by and take a look at the beams if you're in Mifflin County.

Knute

Great job! Happy to see an old barn being restored. Many are left to fall down and a part of history being lost.

MayIrwinFarm

Colonel O, you can be very proud.  That is beautiful and, I'm sure, very gratifying to see the fruits of your labor!
Semper Fi,
Jim Munroe

Weekend_Sawyer

Very nice. That barn deserved some sprucing up!

Now my lazy brain red the title as if you were moving into the barn to live, so I'm reading along thinking "When is he going to talk about finishing the interior?" :D

Jon

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

samandothers

How is the sawing going for the remaining sides or did I miss that all sides are now complete?

bandmiller2

Colonel, you asked about & degree band hook. 7 degree Its what I use and its a good compromise between 10's and 4's. You may want a few 4's to use on real knotty or hardwoods but sharp 7's will do it all. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!