iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How many generations?

Started by Darrel, January 04, 2017, 02:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darrel

For how many generations has there been sawdust in your family's blood?

For my family it's been at least five. My great great grandfather, John Carson was born in Detroit in 1828 and built a sawmill in Carson Washington on the north side of the Colombia River. My grandfather, Charles Carson attended seminary in Portland after which he would move to a community and start a sawmill and a church. When both the mill and church were well established he would move on and do the same thing all over again.

My father, Fred Carson was born in Troutdale OR in 1913 and grew up in the sawmill and woods. My dad built a portable circle mill when I was in about the first grade but he never got the axel under it. It had a wooden frame as I recall.

So I grew up with sawdust in my blood and it's still there. And I guess I could call it six generations because my Son Ben sure likes to slice logs on my mill. If I step away from the controls he'll take over if I let him.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

sawguy21

Dad and mom's father were very accomplished wood workers, me not so much. I was more interested in tinkering with engines.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

WV Sawmiller

So far as I know - 1. As far as I know my ancestors were mostly sane individuals. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

sandsawmill14

3 for certain don't know about the 4th on mom's side but the 4th on dad's side hauled freight from the barge at saltillo  to Jackson tn with mules and wagon about a 50-60 mile trip made trip twice a week usually :o
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

coxy

as far as I know I'm the 4th wish my daughter would have stayed with me but she got boys on the brain and left but has a real good job now with a retirement and all kinds of  bennys  :) 8)

Don P

My aunt did the family tree some years ago, it kind of depends on how I trace it. I imagine we all can find a number of woodworkers of some sort all the way up our tree.  If I trace back to the revolutionary war period by my family name, through the men, to that grandmother and then follow her menfolk back to Jamestown, he was trained as an engineer but was a carpenter in the new world, as was his son. His daddy had Royally upset someone and an ocean must not have seemed enough, he hit the beach, altered his name and headed south. By the time of the revolution when my line and that grandmother's family's cross down in Carolina she and my many great grandfather have had 3 children before the war, and he goes MIA, we've never found a trace. She raised them all and did not remarry. I've thought about how hard her life must have been.

In the 1835 census my fathers ancestors in eastern Carolina listed their occupations as turpentine, they were tarheels. Thirty years later those longleaf were in flames and within a generation my ancestors worked other peoples land until WWII when my Grandad went up to Norfolk to work in a sawmill. After the war he came back to the farm and the landowner shared a portion of a plot of tobacco each year for my Dad's college. Between that and ROTC he graduated with a degree in industrial arts. He taught several times but while I was growing up he was a residential builder and I was picking up nails and sweeping floors till I was old enough to hit the nail. He decided he didn't need one of those fancy new T nailers after all. I preferred the hands on stuff to anything going on in the schoolhouse. Much to my mothers displeasure.

oh, so, 2 generations, or 11  :).

Percy

I cut down my family tree and milled it up so I havent a clue..... ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Magicman

I am the 4th generation to own this property, buying it exactly 100 years after my Great Grandfather bought it.  All of my ancestors were dirt farmers, but their sawdust took a different look.

They had no sawmill, but an axe and adz were put to use when timbers were needed.  I reused these barn timbers on my Cabin Addition

I am the first generation sawyer.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

coxy

MM i have a wooden level all most like that and it still works have a bunch of old wooden planes that I collect along with the levels

Brian_Rhoad

My boys are the 5th generation. We bought the land where we live from my wife's grandfather. We found out that my great grandfather sold half of the land we have to my wife's great grandfather around 1910. My great grandfather had a steam powered mill here in the late 1800's to 1910. My dad was setting up a Frick mill about 5 years ago. He was doing some digging and found some old teeth from a mill blade. They had to have come from his grandfather's mill.

Darrel

I've been doing a lot of thinking about what kind of legacy I'm leaving for my kids and grandkids. I've also thought quite a bit about what was left to me. Before my dad built his mill, I remember him building a shop from lumber he cut freehand with his chainsaw. Then he taught me how to turn wheels for toy trucks we'd build. Of course this was done in his new shop. My 13 year old grandson loves to off bear and wants to learn to be a sawyer. So if I count him, that makes seven generations.

More important, what are the younger generation learning from me?  I learned a very good work ethic from my dad as well as a love for woodworking and sawing. It is my job to pass to my grandsons this same work ethic.

I spent 20 years as a Registered Nurse, providing  care to those who couldn't care for themselves. During that time I also taught certified nursing assistant classes and continuing education classes for nurses. And on the rough days I'd reach in my pockets wish to find sawdust.

:new_year:
1992 LT40HD

Darrel

Quote from: Percy on January 05, 2017, 01:08:37 AM
I cut down my family tree and milled it up so I havent a clue..... ;D
Haha :D
1992 LT40HD

Ox

As far as I know, I'm the first one.  It seems the rest of my family is all about making money and buying the stuff instead of making things from scratch and saving money that way.  It's not about how much you make so much as it's about how much you save.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Chop Shop

My grandpa owned one of the local sawmills and lumber yards here.  My grandma managed the hardware store they owned next to the sawmill/lumber yard.

My great grandpa was a logger and I still have his Scribner scale pocket book from 1923 with notes he wrote in it.

Allot of my uncles logged for a living to.  Two of them died in the woods from timber.  One worked for Columbia Helicopter logging Alaska for many years.

Before that Im not sure?

Babylon519

I'm the first generation with sawdust in my blood. But I come from a long line of butchers who left a lot of blood in the sawdust. Funny how life turns...
- Jason
Jason
1960 IH B-275 - same vintage as me!
1960 Circle Sawmill 42"
Stihl MS440 & a half-dozen other saws...

Iwawoodwork

I am 3rd  gen for sure, grandfather had a circle mill near Detroit , Oregon during the Depression and my father worked for over 20 years in a big band sawmill at Empire , Oregon, I worked in plywood mills  for 6-7 years in 60's and  logging for weyerhaeuser out of Coos Bay during 70's  and early 80's. now trying to build a circle mill of my own. My fathers family were carpenters back to 1856 when they came to Oregon.

rjwoelk

I am the first sawer. In the woelk family don't know what happened back in Russia. Mostly farming. But my dad and his brothers were all carpenters.  The house on the farm is 60 years old. To bad dad is not alive to have seen the log cabin we did. 8x10 dovetailed. He would have injoyed the fit of the logs. My son is a welder. Perhaps when grand kids come one of them will take over.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Den Socling

My father's father was a blacksmith and tool maker. My father, for awhile, built wrought iron railing and columns. I don't saw but I handle a lot of wood. What the three of us have had in common is that we were each entrepreneurs. Never could work for anybody but ourselves!

VTwoodworker

It is 5 for my family if you count me on my fathers side.  My great - great grandfather and great grandfather owned and operated a water powered sawmill in Elmore Vt.  The mill and mill pond are long gone.  My grandfather was a long time logger starting with horses and later bought one of the first John Deere 440 skidders in Vt.  He my dad and uncle started a sawmill in the 60's and operated the logging and sawmill business in Hardwick, Vt until my dad passed in 1989.  My Dad was an awesome sawyer and millwright and I wish I had paid more attention during my time working in the mill.  The mill is still in business under different ownership.  So that leaves me currently as a hobby woodworker, logger and sawyer as my day job is a highway bridge engineer.  Hopefully is a few years I can retire and spend more time making sawdust. 

I have two daughters that do not seem at all interested in any aspect of forestry so it will probably end at 5.  Maybe a son in law or grand child some day to pass on the curse. :D

Wayne Symonds

Sixacresand

My folks did not own a mill, but worked at one at one time another.  All were carpenters, furniture builders and refinishers.  If they were alive today, they would be hanging out around my sawmill. :)  I probably will be the one and only in my family to have a mill.   >:( Nancy jokes that if I kick the bucket, her next husband prefers Cooks mills. ???
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

thecfarm

I am the first to own a mill. My Father and me spent time looking at the same mill that I bought. He worked at some mills,nothing full time. He lived on The Farm until he was 41 and married my Mother. Mills was water powered around here. Only ran in the spring.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

Bruno of NH

My great grandfather came from Canada as a logger.
Settled in Wilder Vt started logging and building.
Then opened up a mill work shop and building supply in Lebanon NH.
Built a lot of homes in the area .
I have been working on my own since i got out of high school.
It looks like i will be the last with saw dust in my pockets kind of sad :(
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Thank You Sponsors!