iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Beauty coming to South Louisiana

Started by SkyDoc, January 03, 2017, 08:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyDoc

This new, custom built, Turner Mill should be at my house late this week. 38" bed, 24 foot capacity, fully hydraulic with all the bells and whistles plus 34" between the blade guides.

Super Excited Doc....
Dad always said "its easier to learn from someone else's  mistake than to make it yourself". Thats why I am here....

jwade

wow that is really nice. hope to see pictures of it in action.

Ljohnsaw

Interesting design.  Is that electrical or hydraulics on the overhead wire?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

SkyDoc

Electrical. It doesnt have much in the electronics department like many other mills. It's mostly hydraulic. Electric up and down, clutch, and start.
Dad always said "its easier to learn from someone else's  mistake than to make it yourself". Thats why I am here....

SkyDoc

Here are a few more from the build.

Test run

scully

I'd be prity excited about that ! Looks like a nice mill !
I bleed orange  .

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Darrel

I've never heard of Turner Mills. Looks like they make a pretty good machine.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

SkyDoc

When I didn my research I wrote down all of the options I wanted/needed and priced them out to all the manufacturers. Bottom line if I wanted hydraulic loading arms they all started at 27k or more. I got a custom mill with a much larger capacity for a decent bit less. Plus I was involved with the whole process. They don't do a lot of advertising but those that have them swear by their reliability and quality.

For example. If you break down you can go to napa and get almost any part for it. If you lose a bearing on the head of an orange mill you are down until you get one from the manufacturer. Based on what I've learned.

fishfighter

Congrats. Now that is a big step up. When you get it set up, I will come by and check it out. ;D

47sawdust

Looks like it has a separate motor for the hydraulics.The power feed must be electric as well?
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

bandmiller2

Doc, does Turner still use rubber tires for their wheels on there larger mills.?? They work and you won't have to stretch belts over cast iron pulleys. I have seen the manual Turners cut at shows but not the deluxe model. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

slider

Looks like a good score on a nice mill but the killer shop is what i like the best.
al glenn

SkyDoc

Yes, Turner uses trailer tires for the bandwheels.

Bruno of NH

What is the power unit for the mill head ?
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

thecfarm

You will like it!!!
What's the plan for the lumber?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SkyDoc

The power unit is a 36 hp Subaru, the biggest I could get without going diesel and really upping the price tag. I'm told that subaru is shutting down it's small engine department but will carry parts for 8 years. Despite this news, I still went with it over the 24hp Honda.

c-farm, I intend to mill for others primarily and develop my property. Possibly (if the wife approves) build a house with the spoils...

Darrel

I've heard no complaints about Subaru engines
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Oliver05262

My understanding is that someone (Yamaha?) is buying the Subaru small engine line, so it will not be an orphan, and will be available and supported in the future. Subaru had already promised support, but now it will also be still manufactured, although it may gain a name change. I'm sure there will be plenty of press releases to keep up customer confidence.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

Bruno of NH

I have an industrial generator with a robins/Subaru engine
It's built like a tank and they rebage it as a John Deere

W5E2J

SkyDoc, You will enjoy that mill and get a lot of work done with it. I have had a manual Turner Mill for 15 years and cut many 1,000's of feet of lumber with it. Other than replacing a few bearings on the guides and the main drive belt, it has been very reliable for me. Mine is manual with a 13 hp Honda. But I have wished on many occasions to have something as large as yours. Good Luck with it. smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
W.Jones

SkyDoc

Bruno, that's good to know. I've only heard good things about the Subaru engines that's why I was comfortable getting one knowing that they're stopping production.

WS, that's good to know that you've had one for a long time. What I liked the best was the ability to talk to Bill and design the mill.

Everyone else, yes the mill runs on trailer tires not steel band wheels.

Oliver, thanks for that tip. If you hear more in the future please let me know for my own resources
The mill should be here late tonight or tomorrow. I'm not sure about the power feed but I will let y'all know about that specific item. I've got 2 26" logs that were too large for my small push mill that have vexed me for nearly a year. They will meet their demise when the Turner Monster shows up. We had some weather the other day and I'm crossing my fingers for more free trees.

Rando

I stopped by the shop one day to look at the Turner mill. Very impressed but he was behind in production for months so I went with something else.
From what I remember seeing I believe you'll be very happy with your choice.
Also, he was a very nice man and easy to talk to.
Good luck and have fun!

SkyDoc

When I called him I asked him what his production time was and he said about 8 weeks for what I wanted. He had to do some custom fabrication to meet my needs.

I couldnt be happier with the process and his product. It's supposed to be here either late tonight or early tomorrow.

Doc

Thank You Sponsors!