iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Some nice ash

Started by alecs, January 03, 2017, 03:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alecs

Hi folks,
I've been away from the forum for awhile, but thought you'd like to see the results of some sawing that Jim Rogers did for me a couple of years ago.  We had several large ash trees taken down, the biggest of which was a good match for Jim's Woodmizer.  The center of that tree yielded two boards (if you call them boards at this size) that were 12'+ long, 20" wide, and 2.5" thick.  After letting them air dry for a couple of years, I got myself setup with a planer that could handle those boards. 

So now I can plane up to 20" wide boards and make them flat, too.  I made a planer sled that takes care of the warp and twist pretty nicely.  One of the big boards got finished off at 9.5 feet long, 19" wide, and 2" thick once it was planed.  That became a bench top for a kitchen renovation.  The floorboards in the picture are wide pine boards that I also planed on-site.  Some of that pine was also from our local logs and sawn by Jim, while the rest came from P&R Lumber of Wolcott, VT, and WR Robinson of Hardwick, MA.  The widest floor boards are 18".  Other boards from the giant ash turned into the desk-top and the hutch shown in the other pics.

Enjoy, and thanks to Jim for his sawing help in 2014!
Alec

GRANITEstateMP

I really like all the character in ash
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

WV Sawmiller

Alecs,

Pretty woodworking. I am not a woodworker - at best a rough (and I mean rough) carpenter. Like everyone else my ash trees are dying and I'm trying to salvage as much of the wood as I can. I plan to cut several more when it gets colder and the ground freezes so I have less mud than the present. I like the old honey smell as I saw it and the grain is pretty. I just built a shelf out of some of my scraps. Lots of the boards had the reddish tint. I have one customer who buys it and makes cutting boards alternating with cherry, walnut and sometimes maple. The ones I have seen are beautiful. I hate to see the trees going but am glad to see folks like you put it to good use.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

69bronco

Nice ash! Really like the contrast in the hutch! Good job smiley_clapping

Jeff

There have been some modifications done to this topic to make it conform to our family site mandates.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DeerMeadowFarm

Very nice work! I think Ash is one of my favorite woods. That mill in Hardwick is about 10 minutes from my house. I bought all my T&G pine from them when I built my house almost 14 years ago!

thecfarm

That all looks nice. And than some!!!!
Don't stay away so long.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

petefrom bearswamp

Nice work.
Is the pine fastened with cut nails?
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

alecs

Thanks for the nice comments.  Yes, the floor is installed with cut nails.

coxy

your work is great wish I had the patience to that     I have 50lbs of cut nails my dad had for years he use to drive them in the king pins of his trucks to pass inspection  :o :D :D

Don_Papenburg

Modifications???????????? how could this topic need any modifications?
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Jeff

Clearly I'm good at my job because of your post. The title was changed from being an innuendo and a couple posts edited to remove the "companion" comments made by some uncontrollable urges due to the title.
Satisfied?
Now enough about that.  It's a neat project that doesn't need any low-level hyperbole
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

drobertson

What amazes me, just me, I reckon, how ash like this, resembles what a cross of certain hickories and oak might look like if that could ever happen! Nice work
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

coxy

I was told by a wood buyer that they use to or still do pass off high grade ash for oak in furniture

Sheepkeeper

Years ago when I worked in the furniture factory our oak furniture was built with oak veneers and ash solids. The ash was easier to work and less prone to splintering than the oak. After the 17 step (IIRC may only have been 8 or 9, it's been a while) finishing process you had to know what you were looking for to see the difference.
The hurry-er I go the behind-er I get.

Thank You Sponsors!