iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Older Stihl models and use

Started by JW IN VA, January 02, 2017, 04:20:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JW IN VA

Today the major manufacturers designate their saws by Home,F and R or Professional. I know the 026 was considered a pro model as was the 044,066 but I am wondering where the 028 fell in.Stihl seems to not make sense with their models back then as an 026 had a slightly bigger engine than the 028.I am guessing the 028 was probably a farm and ranch?

ZeroJunk

The 028 was a Pro saw as far as quality and longevity although I don't know that they had even come up with the separate classes when they were current. The 026 is a later design than the 028 . The comparable series with the 028 would be 038, 048.  Typically the home owner saws now are clam shell where the engine is two piece separated at the crank shaft whereas Pro saws have split crankcase halves and removable cylinder.

Al_Smith

The 028 was the smallest displacement saw of that design type .They aren't bad saws very robust

Of that design I feel the 038 magnum was the crown jewel of any Stihl saw ever made

As mentioned probably the 028 saw more service in farm type use than it did in tree service work and doubtfully in logging operations .My 028 I believe has a "farm boss"
decal on it .Of course they saw service as firewood saws.

nitehawk55

028 was marketed to both the consumer / semi pro as the wood boss and was also used by pros mostly when the super came out which the 026 eventually replaced .
Stihl didn't have anything in the way of clam shell design back in that time period , that's when all the saws were heavy and rugged .
The 028 and 038 series were the first generation of saws to come and in my opinion some of the best saws built .
I AM NOT BRAND LOYAL !

HolmenTree

Good post nitehawk.
The 028 was introduced in 1979(depending on location 1978) and 038 in 1980. Design of these saws basically originated with the first master control 042 in 1977.
024/034 new series introduced in 1984.
Clamshell the best of my knowledge was early 1990s with the 039 etc.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

nitehawk55

I think the first clamshell saws Stihl introduced were the 021 , 023 and 025 to replace the 009L , 010 , 011 , 012....etc. The 029 and 039 followed soon after .
I AM NOT BRAND LOYAL !

ZeroJunk

The 026 is a little more nimble and quicker than the 028.
But, I can't see any difference that would effect reliability other than the oiler. Not sure which oiler is more reliable, but the 026 is certainly simpler.

weimedog

So...what about 034 & 036 class saws? Build able? They seem to be in an interesting to me size , displacement, and weight class. How do they compare with the new 60cc saws?
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

ZeroJunk

Newer saws have better anti vibration and are more EPA friendly.

The 034 036 series is about as easy to rebuild as it gets.

Most aggravating thing on the whole saw is replacing the oil line from the pump to the bar.

Al_Smith

The gear driven oilers on the 028 through the 048 are reliable .Plus as far as I know all the same with the exception of the assortment of nylon gears depending on the drive systems used IE spur,rim drive etc .

SawTroll

What has been considered "farm and ranch" saws have changed a lot trough the years. Originally if was about what I would call "semi-pro" saws (saws built like pro saws, but with less performance and/or less/fewer nice features). With Stihl it changed to large versions of plastic case/clamshell "homeowner" saws in the early 1990s (at least in the US), and the same thing happened about a decade later with Husky. With Husky, the use of the "rancher" designation has been a bit on/off with time and market - and with Stihl it was at times used on different models on different markets.

Regarding the 028, I would say that there were both pro and semi-pro versions, the semi-pro ones usually called "Woodboss".

All in all, "farm and ranch" can't be said to be a class of saws, it merely is about more or less random use of such designations, when the marketing people meant that it fit a purpose.
Information collector.

ZeroJunk

Yeah, there are Stihl models that they put a Pro sticker on and there is no difference from the ones that didn't have a Pro label.

Magicman

My 028AV never had Farm Boss or Wood Boss written anywhere on it.  I don't know what it is, but I do know that it is reliable and still going strong.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Spike60

Back when the 028 eas on the market, everything made by Stihl and Husky was a pro quality saw. The cheap entry level market was left to what remained of Homelite and McCulloch. This was before clamshells and re-labeled Poulans infected both brands. But the void in the low end market had to be filled by someone, and who else was left?  :)

Things like Rancher, Wood Boss and Farm Boss are just marketing terms, (and very effective ones), that have been slapped on various models over the years.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

HolmenTree

In our area and I guess most others when taking the 61cc 038AV for example, when the saw was upgraded to a 67cc 038 Super loggers no longer wanted the 61cc 038AV when they could buy the 67cc Super. So the "Farm Boss" sticker was put on the 61cc top cover with a $50 discount.

Magicman

Which category would my 310 fall into?  I know that the 310 has been replaced by the 311 but I do not know what changes were made.  I am running a 20" bar and since I am not in a production situation, it does me a good job.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DelawhereJoe

Its my understanding that the even number 024, 026, 240, 260, 241, 261...etc..880 were semi  pro or pro models the odd numbers were home owner / farm, plastic crank case.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

SawTroll

Quote from: Magicman on January 10, 2017, 08:24:49 PM
Which category would my 310 fall into?  I know that the 310 has been replaced by the 311 but I do not know what changes were made.  I am running a 20" bar and since I am not in a production situation, it does me a good job.

The 310 (and the 311) are "homeowner" type saws (plastic cases and clamshell construction), but relatively large ones. They would fit in the "farm and ranch" category, with the current use of terms like "farm boss".
Information collector.

SawTroll

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on January 10, 2017, 08:31:58 PM
Its my understanding that the even number 024, 026, 240, 260, 241, 261...etc..880 were semi  pro or pro models the odd numbers were home owner / farm, plastic crank case.

There are too many exceptions from that "rule" to actually call it a rule, despite it more often is true than not.

The same goes for the "handle color rule" - there are too many exceptions.

This means that the only way to know is to actually know what is what, model by model.
Information collector.

Magicman

Thank you SawTroll for the response.  Kinda what I figured, but as I indicated, it is my Cabin saw and sees minimal use each year.  It does what it is asked to do, so it is OK.

blackoak

Pro saw-- usually worth rebuilding
Home owner saw-usually not worth rebuilding
Not knocking the HO series saws at all, they work well for what they were designed to do and I know several that have been used as Pro Saws and have made their owners a lot of money.
Didn't ever hear the term home owner or pro saw until the early 1990's. Stihl's # selling saw of all time is the 029-MS290 home owner saw

ZeroJunk

You can buy a 039 Chinese motor for $78 shipped. I have upgraded five 029's . They seem to work fine for a home owner or fire wood cutter. So, don't throw them away.

SawTroll

Quote from: ZeroJunk on January 12, 2017, 11:49:25 AM
You can buy a 039 Chinese motor for $78 shipped. I have upgraded five 029's . They seem to work fine for a home owner or fire wood cutter. So, don't throw them away.

That statement doesn't fit very well with your username, as junk it (usually) is!   8)
Information collector.

ZeroJunk

Quote from: SawTroll on January 13, 2017, 01:44:31 PM
Quote from: ZeroJunk on January 12, 2017, 11:49:25 AM

That statement doesn't fit very well with your username, as junk it (usually) is!   8)

I suppose Apple phones are junk too.

I have several running in the neighborhood as well as one that I use. I'll let you know if it pukes.

HolmenTree

Quote from: nitehawk55 on January 03, 2017, 08:40:45 AM
028 was marketed to both the consumer / semi pro as the wood boss and was also used by pros mostly when the super came out which the 026 eventually replaced .
Stihl didn't have anything in the way of clam shell design back in that time period , that's when all the saws were heavy and rugged .
The 028 and 038 series were the first generation of saws to come and in my opinion some of the best saws built .
Here's the orignal 1979 028 advertisement when it was first introduced.  Called a 028WB.

Thank You Sponsors!