iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling leaners?

Started by diyguy, January 02, 2017, 12:24:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diyguy

A couple of large black walnut's need to come down... but they are leaners.. were talking 20-30 degrees. I wouldnt think of milling into boards because of the reaction wood effect (nor do I need any more walnut on hand) -- but what about for large beams? Say 10x10's? What do you think?

kelLOGg

Being that much of a leaner it, the pith is off center. There are several threads posted about sawing off-center piths; my favorite is https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,79020.40.html. At reply #53 by Dboyt there is an image that is very helpful to me. I wouldn't give up on sawing your BW into boards yet. Magicman has also written a lot on the subject, too
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Magicman

Depends upon why it was leaning and for how long.  I recently recovered several Walnut trees from along the creek bank on my property.  They did not grow leaning, but rather the soil washed away and they lost their root support.

Be very careful when felling those leaners because they will barberchair in a heartbeat!   :o

If the pith is badly off center then it depends upon whether you want to deal with bow or crook in the lumber.  If bow is OK, then saw through from either the hump or horn faces.  If crook is OK, then saw through from either of the other two faces.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kbeitz

I will not cut a leaner without putting a good ratchet strap around the tree.
I have used up enough of my 9 lives and then some.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

With enough lean, it could still split under a strap, but I would still use one for safety.  A proper bore cut will be necessary when felling. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Czech_Made

I milled an oak that was leaning for few years against another tree.  The 4x4s I cut bent quite a bit drying.

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Thank You Sponsors!