iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Carving Bowls (Updated with Final Video)

Started by 123maxbars, January 01, 2017, 11:00:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

Does anyone on here other than me carve bowls? I don't use a lathe for mine. I use only handtools. Axe/Adze/Draw Knife/Spokeshave/Gouges etc.

I started on a sycamore one over the weekend. This stuff was really hard to split due to the interlocked grain. I am doing a short video series showing my progress.

This is a really fun project. Carving bowls/spoons is very satisfying when I am not sawing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbFpqAQJCJo
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Kbeitz

I make bowls but no carving. Just a lathe and round cutting with a table saw.
But I have a friend that carves pictures. Looks like big $$$ stuff.
He uses Bass wood. I don't think I ever seen a draw knife like what
you'r using.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

Quote from: Kbeitz on January 01, 2017, 12:37:26 PMI don't think I ever seen a draw knife like what you'r using.
LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kbeitz

Quote from: Magicman on January 01, 2017, 02:39:33 PM
Quote from: Kbeitz on January 01, 2017, 12:37:26 PMI don't think I ever seen a draw knife like what you'r using.
LINK
Thanks for the link. I looked at 534 draw knifes on E-bay and seen nothing like that.
It must be kinda rare.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

jwade

very nicely done video.  thanks , i will be following this.

123maxbars

Quote from: Kbeitz on January 02, 2017, 04:24:25 PM
Quote from: Magicman on January 01, 2017, 02:39:33 PM
LINK

Thanks for the link. I looked at 534 draw knifes on E-bay and seen nothing like that.
It must be kinda rare.

The one I used in this video was the John Neeman log peeling knife. Does a great job at removing bark and heavier wood chips. I used the John Neeman chair makers knife when I get to more critical carving. 
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

123maxbars

i finished the bowl. However the sycamore developed some ring shake so I had to start over with a piece of walnut. I finished the bowl in this video and have it packed away in wood chips for drying. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa9FlCohOBE
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Den Socling

Incredible work! A real shame about the shake.

CHARLIE

123maxbars, a member named Woodbowl hand carves dough bowls. He lives down in Florida and has been a member since about 2007.  I saw a bowl he made for my brother Tom and it was beautiful. Send him a message, y'all have something in common. :)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Thank You Sponsors!