iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 045AV

Started by E fan, December 31, 2016, 06:59:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E fan

I've been over at my FiL's again rummaging through his old barn and found a 045 that is missing the bar and chain but needs a lot of TLC. I'd like to revive it if I could. Any knowledge on this saw would be appreciated in advance

sawguy21

What do you need to know? Is it complete? Does it have good compression and spark?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

E fan

It's just the power head, I've cleaned it up as far as the outside. I know it will not turn over ( locked ) but Its all there except a C clip on the carb and the bolts to the pull rope cover

sawguy21

Remove the muffler and take a peek at the piston. That is an old saw and some parts are getting scarce, a complete rebuild is probably not worthwhile unless you are a serious hobbyist.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

HolmenTree

A little WD40 may loosen it up. Just might only be gummed up from years of sitting.
Parts are readily available on ebay.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

E fan

I poured desiel into the sparkplug hole yesterday thought I'd let it set a day or so

HolmenTree

Better yet try our sponsors product Blue Creeper.

E fan

I've gotten it down to where I need the tool to get the fly wheel off and figure out how to get the clutch off and inspect/replace the ignition system and possibly the clutch and oil pump while I'm in there It spins freely so I've been told unless I have the case gasket to leave it be just make sure things are clean on the inside and seeing as I can't find the case gasket or any set of gaskets for that matter I may have gone too far to return it to working order

HuckFin

Like HolmenTree said, go to EBAY they have Stihl 045 gaskets plus what ever you need there. Or better yet check with our sponsors.

E fan

can find every gasket set for every other saw but this and the 56

I've emailed a couple of the sponsors here but no return as of yet

HuckFin

If the sponsors don't contact you back, just go to EBAY and on top of page type in "stihl 045 chainsaw gaskets" and hit search.  In fact the first gasket that comes up is the one you want (045 056 crankcase gasket)

HolmenTree

If you have no luck then call Madsens in Centralia, Washington.  I'm pretty sure guaranteed they'll have those gaskets and what ever else you need.

Weekend_Sawyer

E Fan, Please tell us some more.

What did it take to get it to start spinning?

Did you pull the muffler and look at the piston?

I am watching with interest.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

E fan

I let it soak in diesel for a few days then just started taking stuff off and while doing so taking notes to where things went and some what cleaning them as I went. Once I got down to just the block,crank, rod and piston I put a socket to the flywheel and rocked it back and forth a few times then soaked t some more rincing it out several times then got it freed up to spin freely. I don't want to break the case till I can get the correct gaskets for the saw and I still need to flywheel pulled along with the spocket  ( I've got the tool ordered for the fly wheel )I'd like to find the ignition parts as well as the oiler parts too. Found an identical starter side on Ebay and purchased it because mine wasn't all well enough to reuse. I also need to get a carb rebuild

4x4American

I have an 045av I got going a few years ago.  It was a pain in the butt getting some parts for it through the dealer.  I had to wait over a month for a clutch that had to come in from Germany.  I think they sold me an aftermarket sprocket too..I don't remember...All I know is it wasn't worth it for me because I never really used it...and then I got an 056 mag II so the 045 is just a shelf queen now.  Nice shape too.
Boy, back in my day..

E fan

I got the clutch assembly off today and all thats left is the flywheel and I'll have to wait till the puller I ordered comes in for it. But everything seems to be in good condition, I get some gaskets, rings and the ignition ( points style ) in I should be ready for reassembly

E fan

Okay I've noticed there are two different clutches one with three small springs ( mine is this way ) and one with a long spring that wraps around the clutch

Any know or have an idea as to a time frame mine is in years or is it what ever was on hand was thrown in the saw

E fan

Learnt today that there was two different size pistons/cylinder heads in the 045 and it varied in all models. Also that my Stihl dealer can get everthing I need in a couple three weeks tops so I've ordered everything but the rings ( finding out which set I need before we order them

Al_Smith

Old trick from a junk yard dawg .If penetrating oil doesn't work knock the insulator out of a 14 MM plug and grind the swedged portion above the hex off and run a 1/4" pipe tap through it .Use a 1/4" to 1/8"reducing bushing and a 1/8"thread pipe grease zert .If the piston is stuck above the exhaust port a little shot of high pressure grease will knock it free .I've done it several times .Just recently on a Partner P100 I'm working on . It's a good idea to remove the cylinder bolts that way you are only jacking the cylinder free of the piston not rotating the crank shaft in case the bearings are froze .If the bearings were frozen what would happen is you could break the flanges off the cylinder .A regular grease gun puts out about 5,000 PSI .

E fan

ok, parts ordered, parts in...... but they dont fit?
rings were too small
now my question is this the pumpkin has this on it ....
V
B
MAHLE
56 ZN 7 W1

then

STIHL
on the opposite side

piston has 523 ont top of what appears to be the M for Mahle then 045

Rings were way too small for the piston so tell me what do dI have ? a 056 pumpkin/piston or is there several different piston sizes for the 045 ?

HolmenTree

Looks like you have the 54mm piston which would make it a 045 AVSE (Super).
045AV was 50mm p/c.

Canadiana

The saw is more fun than the purpose of the wood... the forest is trembling 🌳

Thank You Sponsors!