iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Post hole augers

Started by Kevin, November 29, 2004, 05:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

I'm thinking of buying a one or two man gas powered post hole auger, probably 6"auger.
Is there anything I should consider or avoid?
Thanks.

breederman

Together we got this !

breederman

If ya got rocks they either don't work very well or they'll about kill ya!
Together we got this !

splinters

the best one man post hole makers are usually attached to a three point hitch.  actually it's cheaper to rent one unless you are thinking of a very lot of holes or a long period of time,  Breederman is right. A rock in the hole can do serious damage to the operator.  

breederman

I once had a 3 point hitch one catch the edge of a flat rock about a foot down-- it screwed that thing into the ground all the way to the top of the auger before I even knew what was happining! cant just pick it up,ain't got no reverse.nothin but time and a pipe wrench to back it out with. >:(
Together we got this !

etat

OUCH!, reminded me of when me and another was running a two man reamer.  The holes were too close to the edge of the web of the beams to use a magnetic based drill, or anything else we had in the shop. BIG steel beams better than two foot tall and with and inch and a half thick web.  We'd blow the holes through with a torch and ream em out with a two man reamer.  The dang thing had a one inch inside diamater air line running to it, and it was about bigger than we were.  Hooked to an air tank as big as a house. The reamer bit hung and he fell underneath the handles when it jerked us.  I was up on top of my handle but I couldn't twist it back so it'd cut off.  I figured if I let go it was a gonna take his head off, hard hat or no.  I only was able to hold it for a second, thankfully enough time for him to move clear, before it threw me about 15 feet and on top of some railroad tracks inside the building.

I HATE it when you're lying there hurt and folks come running up and ASK you if you're hurt.  Make no bones about it, DANG RIGHT I'm hurt, that's what I say. Threw my right arm, elbow, and shoulder out of socket and it swelled up like a baloon.

Turned out ok though. The guy, his name was David, didn't get his head knocked off, and I got to spend the whole rest of the winter on light duty in the tool crib checking tools in and out.  It was the only place in the whole dang building that had enough heat to keep you warm.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Captain

Yes, drilling holes on baseball fields.

I worked for a summer between high school and college for a pools and fencing company.  Got a job one day to put up chain link around the outfield of a new baseball field.  The field was lit.  440V is not fun, the operator was removed with the swing of a 2x4.  After a hospital visit he was OK.  Gave me a new respect for DigSafe.

Captain

DonE911

I live ( at the moment ) in south FL and have built miles and miles of fence. Our soil is basically sand and you almost never hit a rock.  I assisted ( two man unit ) putting in about 200 fence post over a weekend with one of them thar things.

It was better than digging by hand, but not by much.  If you hit a root you go for a ride, get hurt, or the dang thing outright breaks. I can't imagine the difficulty and injuries that a rocky soil would produce.

Rent a tractor or skidsteer mounted unit as either of them are better than the hand held unit.  If this is not an option, dig them buy hand or buy one of those things and hope you still have a hand when your done using it.

Jeff

Kevin, aintcha ever about broke a wrist with a power ice auger?  Them dirt devils are worse from my limited experience.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

pasbuild

Kevin I think U should buy my skid steer for them holes ;)
it comes with the auger and two bits, they may be a bit large for your use being 16" and 24" bet it comes with a bucket so the back fill would be EZ.
Oh ya the small print.. U will have to fix the cracked head :(
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

duke401

i use a 12 v. all most every day to dig a hole or two. if i have a lot i get the  one that fits the skid loader an go to work.
the 12v. can be a handful too. we dont hit eny rocks but tree roots are fun
duke

Kevin

Rethinking my purchase.

sawguy21

My buddy rented a 2-man auger that had been equipped with a lawnmower type throttle instead of the original "deadman"
We hit a root and I lost my footing on the wet grass. That beast parked him on his butt with a sore wrist. We had to go for lunch and wait for the DanG thing to run out of gas.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

chet

Kevin,
I got a three point auger on my tractor. With what dat auger can do to the tractor, dar ain't no way I would ever attempt to run one by hand.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

UNCLEBUCK

I seriously use my Jiffy ice auger ,it really works great and I use the 10 inch auger with replaceable cutters . When it does happen to stick it dont spin me maybe a half step backwards . I have sandy soil and no rocks
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

sawguy21

UNCLEBUCK, I am wondering what you are using for a bit on your Jiffy in sand. Because of the l.h. rotation, I have only seen ice bits
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

MULE_MAN

Kevin

Like Chet I also have a digger that mounts on a 3 point tractor hitch, It doesn't
happen often, But I have hook it on a rock or tree root , and that sucker will jump
& buck , It's a heavy Danuser model digger  & it still will go crazy !!!

I don't think I would want to be holding on to a handle of one . I guess it the right
condition , they would be alright .  But if there would be one rock in a 40 acre
field, I would be the one to hit it  ::)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

Engineer

'Is there anything I should consider or avoid?'

Yep.  Consider avoiding one.

We bought a one-man, 3hp Ardisam PHD (that's PostHoleDigger) for use in digging percolation tests for septic designs.  We found that it was much quicker to dig the holes by hand unless we were in pure sand, and then it was only a little bit quicker.  By the time we hauled the *DanG thing in, got it started, and began drilling, both me and my assistant were already tired.  Maybe if you're drilling 200 holes for fencing along a beach, but, man; NO WAY I'll ever use that thing again.  Wanna buy it?   ;D

The best way we've found is three different tools wielded by two guys.  First is a regular shovel to take out the first foot or 16" of material.  Then we alternate with a standard post hole digger and a digging bar thats about five feet long, with a ring handle on one end and a chisel point at the other that's about 2-1/2" wide.  Using that setup, in nearly any soil, we've been able to go 36-42" in five minutes or less.

I've been diggin a trench through hard packed clay, across my house cellar hole, for plumbing drain/waste lines.  I've found that, even faster than the shovel and bar trick, is a small demolition hammer with a bull point or clay spade.  Hammer in, lever it out, and dig.  Easy peasy.

Ed

Skidsteer auger ONLY way to go. Hydraulic drive, so you got reverse. ;D If it hits something you just unscrew it! 8) 8)

UNCLEBUCK

I use the replaceable ice bits and I dont have to grind them very often unless I go ice fishing . Its lightweight and handy for fencing where I can get into places instantly like crowded corner posts . The DanG thing never quits and I have bored many many holes with it . A 10 inch hole is almost too small for railroad ties but I just choose a smaller tie or just make a chop or two with the hand post hole digger , only takes a minute to make the hole bigger .
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Murf

Kevin, there is only one way to make holes anywhere near the Soo.

It should look kinda like this.

Pick your favourite flavour of diesel power and go crazy.
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Kevin

Roots and rocks, mostly roots.
I'll use my hand auger and pole spoon I guess.

Thanks all.

Larry

Hey Kevin, I've met the spoon also Mr jobbers.  Sorta like the clickety clack sound once ya get the rhythm.  And then when ya need some muscle there is always the diggin bar.

In some soils those tools can out do my Danuser on the 3 point.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

wiam

The small walk behind track skidsteers work well with an auger(Dingo  by Toro)  We have also used a small rubber tired skidsteer that you ride on the back standing up.  These can be rented pretty reasonable.  The company I work for has used them for putting up chain link fence.

Will

ps I have used a 2 man auger :'( :'(

Dana

In my area there are lots of free old electric poles for fence post ect. The only problem is the hole needs to be very big and we have lots of clay , rocks, and roots. My 3 point post hole  auger was always geting stuck and the hole still needed to be bigger. I asked a friend who worked for the electric co. of they ever have any surplus augers around. It turns out each time they order a new truck they get a new auger with it. I got one for a small fee, cut it down to the size I wanted, and have never been stuck since! (the auger teeth are slightly larger than the hole.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Thank You Sponsors!