iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ash for flooring

Started by DR Buck, December 30, 2016, 09:23:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR Buck

I have the possibility of getting a fair amount of large Borer killed ash logs.  Some as big as 30" diameter.   Will ash make good flooring or should I use it to make shiplap for my shop walls?  In the future I will need about 3000 sq ft of flooring that will be done as wide plank 6 or 8 inches wide.  This could be a start.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

petefrom bearswamp

My neighbor has an ash floor in his kitchen, been there 30 plus years. No problems as far as I know.
I used ash for wainscotting in my downstairs bathroom and have made some cabinets and end tables. Looks good and works up just fine.
BTW the borer hasn't reached my place yet.
I sold mine in 2009 very prematurely it seems.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

VTwoodworker

I have an ash floor which is going on 10 years old.  It is significantly softer than oak or maple so it is more prone to dents and scratches from dogs and kids.  My wife calls all of that patina.

I like ash as a good utility hardwood in the workshop.

DDW_OR

Kiln dry to 150 Deg F
that should kill anything in the wood.
"let the machines do the work"

Don P

My SIL's house is floored and paneled in ash and is absolutely beautiful. It was built in the Wright style by the owner of the local bakery in the '50's.

Magicman

Absolutely!  That is what I used for flooring in the bedroom in the Cabin Addition.  Cabin Addition
Reply #739; still on the trailer.
Reply #746; laying the flooring.
Reply #753; testing stain.
Reply #762; Ash on the ceiling.
Reply #781; finished.
Reply #798; a look around,

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

I find it is still pretty hard, even if not hard like rock maple. It sure makes the old portable planer moan and the surface is like glass when she comes out the end.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Carson-saws

Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

SwampDonkey

There's been an ash flooring mill near here for a number of years as well. I just recalled that there was. Didn't click earlier.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Just Me

I have put down a lot of ash flooring, better than maple or oak in my opinion. Finishes better than oak and almost as hard, and maple is always boring to me.

My trees died and I made all my interior doors out of the trees.

Don't lt them stand dead too long, degradation happens fast.

SwampDonkey

I would call it nice for flooring, but no better than maple or yellow birch. I like them to. Everyone has their preference and biases. ;D  :) Been the same hard maple flooring in grandmother's house since the 40's when it was built. All the moulding is maple and the stairs as well.

Just Me

Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 31, 2016, 04:43:30 PM
I would call it nice for flooring, but no better than maple or yellow birch. I like them to. Everyone has their preference and biases. ;D  :) Been the same hard maple flooring in grandmother's house since the 40's when it was built. All the moulding is maple and the stairs as well.

I was referring to the look more than the durability. I just like the look.

Den Socling

I wish I had a truck load like this piece.

Just Me

I just finished an Ash vanity that looks like an old dresser. I bookmatched the end panel veneers out of some figured pieces, came out beautiful. Just love that wood, really going to miss it.

SwampDonkey

I've made a few things of ash, including this accented with walnut.  ;D

and

and this along with butternut

sealark37

Dried ash is only as hard as a baseball bat.  I put down 4500 square feet in my new house 30 years ago, and it is still beautiful.   Many people have admired it, and are surprised to find that it is ash.  Use top quality urethane to finish.  You will be pleased.   Regards, Clark

Brad_bb

I've been milling a lot of ash lately and discovered that there are two kinds that look the same from the outside.  The first has the typical white/yellow sapwood and very light brown heartwood.  The sapwood isn't very thick.  The second type has the same looking sapwood, only it's a much thicker band.  The heartwood is a much darker red brown, which can sometimes have yellow streaks in it. Some have speculated that they are white and green ash respectively.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

jtmccallum

We put ash flooring in my sisters house last spring. Finished it with polyurethane.  Looks great. Put red maple in the bedrooms.   We installed the same in our house this winter except I used Rubio Monocoat for the finish. One step process and looks awesome.  :)
John M.        '97 WM LT40Super Manual 40HP Lombardini,  XP372,   CASE 1210 W/ Loader

Thank You Sponsors!