iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Strange billing problem

Started by Brandon1986, December 29, 2016, 08:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon1986

Ok so I have a dilemma a lot of people would like to have.  Back story, my old man owns an excavation and logging company up here in Alaska.. I manage much of the processed firewood aspect of this company for him.. In turn I get more high quality saw logs than I can mill with my small set up.. Its a pretty good deal.. The problem I am having is I have been milling a bunch of Alaska birch for him for his trailer decks, he and I keep arguing about payment.. I tell him it's his wood he keeps me in more spruce than I can handle for hobby milling, and it costs me very little to run my mill for him (the cost of a sharp blade on pressure washed birch which amounts to roughly $12 per 500-650bf) so I want happily want to call it square.. He is insistent on paying me for my time and materials.. There in lies the question... what would be an hourly rate reflecting my appreciation for the (call it 20 cords a year) saw logs I get, yet enough where he might feel like I am actually charging him enough to pay for my time....

Thanks in advance,
Brandon

paul case

I have a Dad like that.

My guess would be If you let him pay for your next box of blades he would be very happy. I understand that you are getting the good from the sawing that you do for him however he wants to be a part too. My Dad just loved when I was logging to bring his tractor and carry logs out while I was cutting. It made his day. Mom appreciated it too.

I get a lot of enjoyment from working with my sons too. Dont deprive him from being part of your deal too.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Brandon1986

That's a good idea, although "I" feel like $380 for 400 bf of HIS birch (per year) is a might expensive... Maybe just help me buy blades..

4x4American

I agree that you are most likely square just from trading logs, but if he insists, maybe give him a bdft price of say $.30/bdft?  I think thats reasonable.
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!