iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood Mizer LT40 Super with Kubota 42 hp Diesel Valve adjustment and little more

Started by MartyParsons, December 29, 2016, 05:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyParsons

Hello,
   Here is a story about a Wood Mizer LT40 Super 6970 hours. The new owner drove from Maryland to Wisconsin and purchase this mill. On the way home he stopped here for a tune up on his new to him Wood Mizer. The mill had a fresh paint job and it is real Orange. When they painted it they missed a few service items. That may be another post later.
So finishing up on the alignment we engaged the bladed the Kubota 42 hp engine changed RPM but only went a few hundred rpm increase. I could see the high speed governor adjustment had some vice grip marks.

Got the tach on the engine and started for 3200 rpm. I turned the screw and not much happened then it went to 3600 and kept on going. Released the clutch and the rpm went back to 1600, engaged it again and it only went to 2000. Very strange.  ???

Called a mentor and he said the governor pins were worn and sticking.

Number 17  you can see the weighs have bushings and pins. I went with the assembly, one little mistake with a governor and this engine could be a paper weight.
Disassembly of the engine was not bad.

As you can see many assemblies needed to be removed to get to the governor shaft.

There was a lot of different length bolts in the front cover. This is the best way I have found to make sure all bolts go back in the same hole.

Replace the FRONT seal it is a place for a common leak. I think the seal cost was less and $ 10.00!

Now we have that completed next is checking the valve clearance. The engine manual from Kubota says every 800 hours. I am pretty sure I am the first one inside this engine, but I am guessing.

Again get access to a manual . I did not have one but found one online. Thanks Google!

You see the bottom of the table it says .005 to .007. I set them at .006. Most were real close and with in spec. One was tight on # 3. That is not good. No harm done at this point but it could if the valve sticks open and burns.

You will need to find TDC Top Dead Center this is on the flywheel on the Kubota.

This was easy compared to the Lombardidi.  ::)

While you are here. Check the breather from the valve cover.

and the intake on the turbo. Kinda of sotty.

While we are talking about engines how about antifreeze! This was what was in the engine. Pure antifreeze? How would you know?

This tool takes the guess work out of freeze protection. The bubble float thing there is not way to tell. I mixed this green stuff in the jug 50 % water and 50% green and it still checked out at -35.

We pressurized the fuel tank a little to help with bleeding the fuel.

The small plug by the hose clamp can be loosen and the fuel will bleed here.

Most times the Kubota engines are a challenge to get running once you have the fuel system open . This one started after a few turns.  8)

Watch out for cranking the engine more the 10 sec. Starter damage may occur.

I had the engine purring like a Kubota should. Set the RPM to 3200 and it worked great!

Hope this helps!

Happy New Year!.

Marty

"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

WV Sawmiller

Marty,

Pretty cool. Way more involved than I will be trying but I do like that idea about how to save the bolt hole pattern. I will file that away in the old mental hard drive. Happy New Year to you and your family and the rest of the team.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

One slick homestead

Have fun with that hopefully it all comes back together and works as intended.
Happy new year
A wise man once told me, never get in the way of a man with a broom.

scully

Marty thanks for posting this as I will have particular interest in servicing my engine when the time comes .  I'm not sure if I will tackle it myself but maybe I can schedule your services sometime if you come up to Hannibal . 
I bleed orange  .

Thank You Sponsors!