iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

H profile stickers

Started by BillyB, December 28, 2016, 10:15:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

Need any advise on this. I've got a slabber saw coming and I'm going to start cutting some larger heavy slabs, too heavy for me to play with. So I was thinking about making some 3" thick stickers so I could use my forklift to load and unload. So I'm thinking about making some H stickers for this. I've got a cheaper craftman table saw, not a very heavy unit and need a power feed. Would I be better off getting a heavier table saw? Also I've never use a power feeder, do they mount on the machine? I've got a jointer that would be nice to use it on also.
Also on 2+ inch slabs do you think using only 3 stickers on a 8 ft long slab would be ok or should I use more? I'm thinking the less sticker the less chance getting sticker stain or at least not as many stains.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

xlogger

After posting this I looked around and getting a shaper might be a better idea for cutting 2" out of a 3" sticker. I would think if I did this I would need at least a 3hp shaper.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Larry

I make them on the shaper just because I have a feeder mounted on the shaper all the time.  I have a feeder for the table saw also but its normally not mounted and ready to go.

Ricky we need pictures of this new slabber.  My neighbor has had a Lucas slabber for years....he has hundreds of slabs on sticks.  A little pic of his showroom.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

YellowHammer

I have a friend who uses 2x2 stickers for his slabs to use with his forklift.  I have used 1.5x1.5 but only if the slabs are heavy, as I lose too much packing density.  I bought thin, polished lumber forks for my forklift for just this reason.
There is a mill down the road who makes their own fluted stickers and they profile several sizes using a multi head molder, but a shaper would work fine. Here's a pic. 

A powerfeeder is an excellent device.  I wish I had bought one many years earlier.  They mount to any machine and have articulating heads to be used on pretty much any machine. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

xlogger

Quote from: WDH on January 07, 2017, 08:03:50 PM
Ricky,

It never ends  ;D.
I know Danny its all your fault, see what I'm doing after you told me about our "expiration" date.

Larry, it's on the way from NZ not sure when it will get here maybe end of the month but you can click on Turbosaw below to see it. That's all I've seen so far and youtube, I just like it because of getting forklift next to the log without removing the bar.

Savannahdan

The power feed sure makes work easier even if its running fast.  Didn't take you long to get that pile run through.  Thank you for the video.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

petefrom bearswamp

Made several hundred about 15 yrs ago on my shaper, power feed
Mixed AD hardwood, 1-1/2 wide 1 thick.
Dont use them much anymore as i am 95 percent softwoods, just use edgings now
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Regarding the 3x3 or whatever size you need for a fork lift...use a 3" wide by 2" high and then screw or nail a grooved sticker (or two side by side) to the top and bottom faces to get the wider opening and still have ventilation.

Note the wonderful curved grooves, which provide a much stronger sticker than if sharp corners were used, in Larry's posting.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

xlogger

Larry what hp shaper and power head do you have on your?

Larry

Its a 3 HP Delta with a 1/4 HP feeder.  With such a small cut, it runs as fast as I care to feed it.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

woodweasel

Try as I might, I cant wrap my mind around how the h- profile stickler keeps the stack from staining.  And I'm not doubting y'alls word?? ??? ???

YellowHammer

Quote from: woodweasel on January 13, 2017, 12:10:35 PM
Try as I might, I cant wrap my mind around how the h- profile stickler keeps the stack from staining.  And I'm not doubting y'alls word?? ??? ???
Airflow....
Wet wood against wet wood in warm temperatures can cause mold, discoloration, enzymatic stain, bugs, etc. So the more the surface area contacted the more chance of trapped moisture.  The grooves in the H stickers allow air flow in the tunnel and dries out the moisture under the sticker.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

moodnacreek

Interesting reading about H stickers, I need to try them on white hard maple however my long experience with flat sticks proves they should be rough.

DelawhereJoe

Why not try to create sticker stain and use more stickers, basic make a pattern out of it and sell them, creating your own market...I'm sure some yuppy would buy all you have.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

jaciausa

What size would the blanks for the H stickers be milled at for the finished 3/4 x 1-1/8 stickers using different species of green lumber. Would 7/8 be enough for green white oak?

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The green size is just barely ok.  But you also,need to consider warp as the green pieces dry.  For this reason, most stickers are made from dry wood, planing and then ripping to size.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

jaciausa

Thanks for the information, I have not sawed any for the stickers yet but have some white oak that I wanted to use. Sounds like a full inch would be a better choice. I have a foley belsaw moulder planer to make the profile. Not sure that would work in one pass or what is the quickest. I could leave it set up until i have made as many as i would need.

Thank You Sponsors!