iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1966 C5 TreeFarmer with pictures

Started by 47sawdust, December 28, 2016, 06:38:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

47sawdust

I have an interest in a 1966 C5 TF.It would be used for personal firewood purposes.It runs,is straight and original,with new tires.What problems should I anticipate with a machine of this age.It has a 3 cyl. Detroit.Don't know what type of winch.
Thanks,Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

David-L

Don't know about tranny or transfer case parts , but a 353 detroit is a good motor. I have had a few. With a block heater they start without either, so running in the winter is not a problem.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Stephen Alford

Hey Mick, 50 years haulin wood, quite a career. I found the C5D which was a 79 light on the back end when backing up steep terrain.  May have to load the rear tires. Any pics ?
logon

47sawdust

.No contact with the owner yet.
The hour meter reads less than 3k but that is if I squint and who knows if it works.
Probably best to let it it pass and keep my ideas and money under lock and key.
The lifting capacity of my Kubota was maxed out yesterday with 2 14'' rock maple trees.Have to start making more trips with a lighter load.No reason for an almost 70 year old man to be hauling high,wide, and heavy anyway.

Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

bushmechanic

That machine is definitely not a 1966 model C5 Tree Farmer. A 66' would be a B series machine, I would date that one at late 70's to early 80's, looks like Centrax diff's too. Rubber on it alone is at 10 to 12K.

47sawdust

Well the skidder seems to be getting younger.That's encouraging.I've added a couple more pictures.I've seen much worse.
Asking price is 9500,but accepting offers.
Mick

Corley5

One of the parts guys at DAVCO told me a couple years ago to be real nice to the Centrax axles my C4D forwarder has under it as new parts are made of unobtainium.  It was recommended that the planetaries be rotated side to side on a regular basis to wear evenly.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

lopet

Agree with bushmechanic, early 80's or so. I think member   LJ 48    used to have a couple of the early ones and they were painted yellow, but I don't see him often being on here anymore.

Looking at the wear on the foot pedals, it definitely doesn't have 13000 hours on it, but could be a bit more than 3000. Just guessing.
If you could get it for what the rubber is worth then there is not much to lose.   Or am I wrong ?

Mine is what I believe a 85 or 86. It has the limb risers and the roll cage painted black, a can car 20 winch and a deutz engine. Oh yeah and it has a steering wheel.   As for a comparison,  I paid about 2/3 of what they're asking for the one in the picture.  As it turned out to be more work as I thought, I ended up with buying another  skidder which I use now.   Maybe one day I will rebuild the engine and mount " Junior's " crane on it with a clamp on the back and a turn around seat and have a little grapple skidder . :D :D     Just  Dreeeaaming   ;D :D
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Stephen Alford

There was a treefarmer on craigs list in November in vermont said it was a 78. Looks in good shape from the pics. Check the ply  count on all four tires.  Six , eight, and ten did not work for me. Th 12 ply were combine tires they were good for 900 each out of Montreal. The best as others have said are the 16 ply forestry specials  .  The  transfer case caused grief if they were used rough.   Check all fluid levels and plugs for metal.  Drop the blade quick and stop it quick and watch the center for movement.  One important thing is to keep it clean between manifold and engine to avoid an onaboardafire.  :)
logon

Logger RK

To check the center pin's you can just put the blade on the ground and lift the front off the ground a few times also. Then you can check the front cradle slop also. My C7D was so bad when I first got it that the front diff would push against the motor oil pan.

Thank You Sponsors!