iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chase sawmill

Started by Kellyj, December 28, 2016, 06:57:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kellyj

Good morning, new to site.

Been working on building a homemade bandsaw mill, was trolling site frequently.

Opportunity just came up to buy an old chase sawmill, (have to move) from a retired sayer, for what I believe is a good price. So I made an offer, he accepted.

Does anybody have any info on these great old mills?

It comes with a Detroit 6-71 power plant, a log roller/loader, debarked, extra blades 50" and a couple of planers. The planers look like they need some tlc, been under cover, but seen some weather.

I plan on taking lots of measurements and pictures.

Thanks for any advise.
Many projects started, few finished.

ozarkgem

Sounds like you hit the jackpot. Every thing you need in one package. Do post pics and welcome to the forum.  Circle mills rock.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

bandmiller2

Welcome Kel, sounds like you found a good mill. Up here in the northeast Chase and Lane are the most common or a mixture of both as they are very similar. My mill is mostly Chase with some Lane parts thrown in. A handset circular mill is the most bang for your sawmill dollar today. Theirs a lot to read on this forum really anything you want/need to know has been talked about. Your mill was built in Orange Ma. by the Chase turbine co. they sold sawmills, shingle mills, and water turbines, and in the early days steam boilers and engines. They are not building mills now, but parts should still be available. Before you move the mill take measurements and a lot of pictures especially around the husk. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ddcuning

I don't have info on Chase mills but congrats on the find!  8)

Welcome and be sure to post some pictures!

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

Kellyj

Yes, actually he told me some lane parts are interchangeable.

The (correct me) trolley/cart?? has been rebuilt.

I haven't seen husk yet, but alot of things have been rebuilt.

bandmiller2

Its the carriage that was rebuilt. Your 6-71 should have plenty of moxie to run the mill and accessories. Its more work to set up a circular mill but if done right should give you many years of service. What are your plans for a foundation.?? Frank C.

Kellyj

My plans are to pour a concrete slab.
But, if you have better suggestions, I'm listening.

bandmiller2

Kel. concrete is the premium product as long as theirs enough with good drainage so it won't heave with the freeze. Leave yourself enough room under the mill for sawdust removal and cleanup. My mill is set on sections of utility poles set in concrete as I didn't want as permanent a setup, its held its level for many years now. It will help your sanity to build a doghouse around that Detroit unless you like that drone. Warm air can be ducted from the doghouse to the sawyer and off bearer during less than balmy winters. As always any decent mill deserves a roof over its head remember you know a guy with a mill. Keep us posted. Frank C.

VTwoodworker

Hi Kellyj,

Good to hear about your project preserving a circular mill.  Where in Vt are you located?

I agree with the thoughts above about planning your slab/foundation construction around sawdust collection and I would add that it is important to plan for how you will transmit power from the diesel power plant and how you will install the log turner.  The log turners I am familiar with need to sit 24" +/- below the track elevation. 

I am looking forward to seeing pictures.

Wayne

Kellyj

Well, stopped by and paid for mill, sorry it was dark by the time I got there. No pictures.

Wayne, I'm in Lowell, vt

VTwoodworker

My mother lives in Lowell.  Nice part of the state. 

Kellyj

this is the only picture i have so far

bandmiller2

Kel, I like how the cant hook is stored looks handy. Do you have a screw dog, a headblock with a long acme thread rod and a crank handle on top.?? About 90% of my dogging is done with the screw dog, in fact I even have two on my carriage. They are extremely handy to hold a log for the first cut.  Frank C.

bandmiller2

Relooking at you picture it looks like you have whats called a "sawyers favorite" headblock which does the same duty as the screw dog. The mill looks to be in good used condition, spelled always under cover. Frank C.

Kellyj

The mill is still located at (previous) owners location. I have to move. Yes always been under cover.

Like I said, I don't know much yet, but he did say it had a "Sawyer's favorite"

Hopefully I'll get down there this week to get some more pictures and understand a little more of what I've gotten myself into.

dgdrls

Congratulations KellyJ.

take lots of photos and notes before you make the move,

Best
D

Kellyj

So, made it mill this afternoon, to really start looking at what I've purchased. The husk has already been rebuilt with I-beam steel, and carriage with 4"square tube.

Kellyj

Also 2 planers, 1 is burried, but this one is supposed to be a 3 sided

Gearbox

Kellyj get that spare blade hung on the wall or on a blade pallet . Leaning one like that is a no no . Nice find .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

ozarkgem

I best not find something like that because it will follow me home. Good find. Cool stuff
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Kellyj

Actually, 2 extra blades. The other one is on a board, he claims it cuts good at first, then strays off, needs to be hammers? He said.

I also brought home several boxes of extra teeth.

Gearbox

When you set it up are you going to do a pit under the husk . I have run mills with saw dust blowers and they can be a pain . You never know when you get a sliver or bark in them and plug and plug and then you shut down and unplug and tear apart and unplug . A drag chain is simple and works great .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

bandmiller2

Kel, looks like you "done good" with your mill all those little things you got with the mill add up. What do you have to sharpen the bits, hope a Jockey is included in the deal. Remember, the saw is like a wife when she's happy everyone is happy. Success with a circular mill all hinges on adjustments and saw management. Frank C.

Kellyj

I don't know the term "jockey" yet.
This is what he gave me.

Darrel

Quote from: Kellyj on January 20, 2017, 07:50:56 AM
I don't know the term "jockey" yet.
This is what he gave me.

That will get them sharp!  Newer ones are electronic some folks chuck those up in a drill those work great.

When I worked at a big circle mill in the the late 70's, the saw filer used exactly what you have there. Oh he had other options, but he swore up and down that it was well worth the extra 5 minutes it took to sharpen the bits manually. When you sharpen with a high speed stone you get a bur on the tooth and he was most likely right when he claimed that a tooth with out a bur is sharper than one with a bur.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Thank You Sponsors!