iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Found my grandfathers mill!

Started by Wallee, December 28, 2016, 12:55:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul case

The knot or your arm or both?

Just kidding. Them big circle blades can be dangerous. no kidding.

Be careful out there.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Wallee

Quote from: Bruno of NH on January 14, 2017, 12:28:06 PM
Can you add some Lexan or some other safety glass product in front of the blade ?

Yeah a lot of guys running similar setups run plexiglass to stand behind. Actually the wife has is already demanding it lol. I will be putting it in really soon. My great grandfather sawed till he was 90 years old and never got so much as a scratch. Just have to be careful and know what to look for. I was riding the carriage of this mill and setting blocks at 12 years old. I think you just have to have respect and make sure your tail guys are paying attention.
Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

Wallee

Quote from: Gearbox on January 14, 2017, 07:06:51 PM
A couple of ideas on safety . One mill I had a old refrigerator shelf between me and the blade . the one I run now has a plastic window . MAKE A RULE that your  off bearer does not reach near the saw past the board splitter . IF anything needs to be removed from this area you do it with a push stick . That may save you from getting hit with a knot that my off bearer tried to balance on a piece of slab . Fell into the saw at the board splitter I tried to move fast still got me in the arm . we looked and never found it .
We did some trial runs today and I already did a safety meeting with my off bearers. They did a thing or two I found to be questionable and I might have hollered at them! "Look and pay attention!!!"
Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

Wallee

Quote from: gww on January 14, 2017, 11:42:26 AM
The mill must have been in pretty good shape.  You sure got it put together and running pretty quick.  I always thought circle mills were cool. 
Cheers
gww
Took 3 weeks of straight 7 days a week 8 hours a day work!

Ohio_Bill

Wallee you're a get it done guy.  Very nice job. Congratulations
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

thechknhwk

Great story :) and congrats. I would love to see a longer video of it running, cutting up a few logs.

VTwoodworker

Nice mill and awesome job putting it together in just a few weeks.  I also grew up working in a circular mill.  Healthy respect, being alert and common sense always are vital but safety starts with personal protective equipment (PPE).  At the risk of sounding preachy - no one should be in that building while the mill is running without real safety glasses, hearing protection, safety shoes and gloves.

Now that you have done the test run, a sawyers screen of safety glass or mess is a must.  Also, eliminating all trip hazards for the sawyer and offbearer is very important.  Engineering a roller or conveyer system to catch the lumber as it comes off the saw and prevent small slabs slipping under the saw will improve safety.

My uncle lost an eye from a small edging ejected from the edger.  He was 20' away involved in a completely separate mill operation but not wearing glasses.  I use this experience to remind myself to take time for safety.

Good luck with that mill and be safe.

Wayne

Kbeitz

Quote from: Wallee on January 14, 2017, 11:08:51 PM
Can you add some Lexan or some other safety glass product in front of the blade ?

Yeah a lot of guys running similar setups run plexiglass to stand behind. Actually the wife has is already demanding it lol. I will be putting it in really soon. My great grandfather sawed till he was 90 years old and never got so much as a scratch. Just have to be careful and know what to look for. I was riding the carriage of this mill and setting blocks at 12 years old. I think you just have to have respect and make sure your tail guys are paying attention.

Plexiglas will shatter like glass...
Lexan is a much better choice.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Gearbox

This may be a little off topic . I just got a call from my off bearer on a club mill I run . He asked if I would take time to teach him to run the stick end. He was nice enough not to imply that I was getting old . He has been around mills since he was young and loves to work . When he started he told me not to back off he would keep up . I LIKE THIS GUY .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Wallee

Quote from: Kbeitz on January 15, 2017, 09:02:24 AM
Quote from: Wallee on January 14, 2017, 11:08:51 PM

Note taken!

Plexiglas will shatter like glass...
Lexan is a much better choice.
Note taken!

Wallee

Well guys I had to work a few bugs out this first part of the week. Had to get a rpm gauge and check rpm and have the saw hammered to match. Turns out saw was dished and didn't show up until I put a oak log on the deck. Sweetgum and pine didnt make it rear its ugly head but oak sure did! Saw smith fixed me up today and we sawed 6 ties at the end of the day with success! Now to tidy up the edger and grease everything in the morning and see what we can get done tomorrow! Pics to come!

4x4American

I kniw it's early but how many ties you think you can saw on an average day with that some buck vs what could you with the mizer?
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

I am proud of the work that you have done Sir.   smiley_thumbsup   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Wallee

Quote from: 4x4American on January 18, 2017, 05:59:15 AM
I kniw it's early but how many ties you think you can saw on an average day with that some buck vs what could you with the mizer?
Lt28 I was getting 25 in a 8 hour day with edging on the mill and various other mill activities. I'm averaging 12 ties a hour this first week!!!! 8)

Wallee

Quote from: Magicman on January 19, 2017, 10:00:44 AM
I am proud of the work that you have done Sir.   smiley_thumbsup   8)
Thanks so much! I appreciate it. Stop through when you head this way again!

4x4American

Holy cow, thats a huge inprovement in production!  I've given thought to a circle mill myself.  I'd have to keep a much bigger log inventory.  I can't believe you were edging on the mill, hats off to ya!  And yea man, killer job on getting that sawmill set up.  You done good!
Boy, back in my day..

Wallee

Quote from: 4x4American on January 19, 2017, 08:28:20 PM
Holy cow, thats a huge inprovement in production!  I've given thought to a circle mill myself.  I'd have to keep a much bigger log inventory.  I can't believe you were edging on the mill, hats off to ya!  And yea man, killer job on getting that sawmill set up.  You done good!
I love the circle mill vs. the band for cant production! However I'm highly considering trading the band mill in for a resaw now!

4x4American

For doing pallet lumber?  I really like the looks of that baker a model with lasy susan turnarounds.

Today I was really wishing I had a circle mill when I was fighting half frozen beech.  It was a beech of a time.  Half frozen anything and a bandsaw can be aggravating.  I did however find a blade that would cut it and I just got back in from making more that hopefully will cut.  See with a circle mill I wouldn't have these late night sharpnin seesions, just sharpen it right then and there when it's dull.  But then you get into hitting hardware and all that
Boy, back in my day..

Wallee

Quote from: 4x4American on January 20, 2017, 11:06:06 PM
For doing pallet lumber?  I really like the looks of that baker a model with lasy susan turnarounds.

Today I was really wishing I had a circle mill when I was fighting half frozen beech.  It was a beech of a time.  Half frozen anything and a bandsaw can be aggravating.  I did however find a blade that would cut it and I just got back in from making more that hopefully will cut.  See with a circle mill I wouldn't have these late night sharpnin seesions, just sharpen it right then and there when it's dull.  But then you get into hitting hardware and all that
Sharpening the circle saw vs. bandsaw is cheap and waaaaay less of a pain. I can hand file in 15 min and saw all day. Soon as I get a grinder and swap to carbide bits it will be even better. And no waves at the slightest knot lol. But on the bandsaw side I have to say the kerf is its best advantage. I want a resaw for pallet wood and to turn lumber out of cedar cants and such!

4x4American

I hear ya.  I was really hating bandsaws yesterday cutting half frozen beech into ties. 
Boy, back in my day..

Gearbox

Wallee got a market for slabs yet . At that rate your  slab pile will grow fast . Welcome to the saw mill merry go round .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Wallee

Quote from: Gearbox on January 22, 2017, 10:34:38 AM
Wallee got a market for slabs yet . At that rate your  slab pile will grow fast . Welcome to the saw mill merry go round .
Hopefully adding a chipper real soon. Slabs get in the way fast!

Wallys World

Wallee, how has it been going lately? Hadn't seen you post in a while and was just wondering!
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

Thank You Sponsors!