iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Don't wait like I did

Started by blackfoot griz, December 28, 2016, 12:09:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackfoot griz

A few weeks ago, I started getting a case of the chills and nasty body aches. I couldn't seem to get warm. I was convinced I was fighting a flu bug and had to let it run it's course. A week ago Saturday  I ventured out into the cold (-22°F) to replace a short hydro hose on my tractor. I was shaking from the both the chills and cold while adding some hydro fluid. I heard a snap and looked down in time to see a six inch funnel extension slide right into the transmission. I had tears in my eyes,  went back in the house cranked up the electric blanket with extra blankets and crawled into the nest.

When I woke up a few hours later, the rattling from my lungs scared the hell out of me....sounded like bad rock music played through a blown speaker. I drove myself to the doc to discover I had double pneumonia. I barely dodged a trip to the hospital. I just wish I hadn't been so hard-headed and gone to the doc much sooner. 

Since then, I have heard a lot of horror stories about pneumonia and I guess I am lucky.  If anybody can add any insight into distinguishing the differences in the onset of flu versus pneumonia, please share as it might make all the difference for somebody in the same circumstances. Wishing all the FF members a healthy 2017!!

Ljohnsaw

I rarely get sick - I attribute that to having lots of colds as a kid (with 6 siblings sharing germs).  Anyhow, I get a cold maybe every other year.  Usually big things like an appendix flare up that woke me at 0400.  Diagnosed over the phone but went away by the time I got to the doc.  Got an awful headache, turned out to be viral meningitis (MRI, spinal tap).  Wife and I got Whooping Cough 12+ years ago.  Docs said no one gets that anymore.  Right after that, there was an outbreak around us.  Wouldn't wish that on anyone!

One time I had a cough after I had a mild head cold for a few days.  Called the doc - said it was just post nasal drip, take some OTC meds.  Cough got worse.  Finally went to the doc, listened, took an xray and they said it was "walking pneumonia".  I think they gave me something for it.  Was about 10 years ago so I forget.  They did say if a cough comes after you "got better" from a cold, probably pneumonia.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Bruno of NH

Sorry to hear this I have been sick myself .
It's no fun
I hope you get better !
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Thank You Sponsors!