iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Reverse Roll Quarter Sawing

Started by YellowHammer, December 27, 2016, 01:02:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

The waste generally look like little wedges or thin triangles.  I haven't figured out a use for them yet.  Too small for leg stock.

The waste can be reduced by applying a little windage and sawing high.  For example, when making a correction wedge, at first I was rotating until the exposed face of the wedge had excellent fleck, so I knew that the next board down would have two good faces of fleck.  However, it occurred to me I was wasting potential wood, so now I will make my correction wedge were I will just start to see fleck by starting a little high.  Since the lower face of the board will get better as I get in line with the rays, I "know" the other face of that board will be nice.  Since with QS wood, only one side of the board has to have good visual fleck, I can apply a little windage to get an extra board every now and them.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Crusarius

Yellowhammer that is exactly what I was wondering. Whether there was a use for the leftovers. I guess I will have a very well stocked firewood pile when I start sawing.

Thanx

Kbeitz

Glue all the  triangles back to  together and you will another log to cut...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Resonator

Find someone that heats their house with wood and you can get paid for the "waste". :)
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

John S

YH, by "gunbarreling" do you mean trimming the log into a hexagon or octagon type shape before the RRQS?
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Crusarius

YellowHammer

Quote from: John S on December 01, 2017, 05:22:18 PM
YH, by "gunbarreling" do you mean trimming the log into a hexagon or octagon type shape before the RRQS?
Yes, it should look like the old Henry style gun barrels.  Octagon shaped by skimming the four faces of the log level to the pith, then faceting the corners also level to the pith.

Unfortunately this is a tedious process but common to all quarter sawing techniques. 
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

YellowHammer

Quote from: Crusarius on December 01, 2017, 12:16:03 PM
Yellowhammer that is exactly what I was wondering. Whether there was a use for the leftovers. I guess I will have a very well stocked firewood pile when I start sawing.

Thanx
Problem is even the waste looks good.  Sweet little triangle sticks with ray fleck on one face.  Eveytime I look at the waste pile I think I should be able to use it for something.   
YellowHammerisms:

caveman

Robert, if you stumbled across someone who makes small boxes you may establish a market for the thin pieces which could be cut out of the wedge shaped pieces with good ray fleck. 

The boxes pictured are devoid of figure and are from a machinist's tool box project I started and abandoned several years ago.  (Australian Pine).  I still have a wedge of spalted sycamore from the Sycamore Project standing up by a pallet rack in my shop waiting on me to find a little time and ambition.

You may even pile some of the nicer ones in a "free with every purchase pile" and have a free pile brag board to display photos of some of the projects that they were used to construct.
Caveman

John S

2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Crusarius

Quote from: YellowHammer on December 01, 2017, 11:36:03 PM
Quote from: Crusarius on December 01, 2017, 12:16:03 PM

Thanx
Problem is even the waste looks good.  Sweet little triangle sticks with ray fleck on one face.  Eveytime I look at the waste pile I think I should be able to use it for something.   

Acoustic dampers? Could make some really neat acoustic panels. Probably be a market for them in home theaters or even commercial buildings.

Crusarius

I like cavemans idea. But I would make those shadow boxes not drawers.

woodyone.john

So could a possible product like picture frame stock be run out of these odd triangle sections and edgings ?
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

YellowHammer

I don't know, they could be used for a number of things that could be made of thinner stock if the wedges were run through a resaw.

We have had one customer get the wedges and since they are 8 feet long, cut them into three pieces and make short triangle shaped table legs. 

Could always turn them into tomato stakes or pen blanks. 
YellowHammerisms:

PA_Walnut

We have been taking our sizable chunks and making "artisan" charcoal and smoker chunks.
My wife chops them with a miter saw and puts them in nice little bags. People like a little TLC where it comes to their food making.

Kinda started when I cut down some hickory and sawed the butt logs, but didn't want to use the smaller uppers for lumber. So, I 8/4'd them on the mill, hacked them in to squares with my chop saw, for use in my own smoker. Smaller pieces are good since hickory can become overwhelming when smoking most meats other than bacon.

Not sure if it's actually profitable if counting my labor, but it's fun and uses the bigger scraps for something worth.  8)
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

PA_Walnut

On a more solemn note. Not all big oak logs are worthy.  :(

I got this BIG 40" white oak from a local dude I know that didn't want to wrestle it on his small LT15 mill. We noticed stain on the end, but figured it was on the cut-off since metal detector didn't find it. You can actually see them through the AnchorSeal in this pic.

Wrestled the thing for 2 hours to rip it in half with chainsaw. Finally got it. (really turned pink when air hit it).

Started the RRQS and realized the 1/2 was too big to clear the top of the carriage and/or the sides, so made some full width slab cuts. But the horror began...

Made some cuts without actually hitting metal, but the significant stains were everywhere. (disregard the pine sitting on the arms from an 8x8 I cut right before this).

The pain continued through almost the entire half log. Since I didn't hit any actual metal that I could determine, must've been something small and/or really soft that just deteriorated, yet wreaked havoc on this thing.  :-\

So, most of a day spent getting REALLY wide, full of rays quarter sawn white oak that has not-so-nice black stripes in it. I tried to edge off most of the black and will make SOMETHING of it, but not a fun day. It was getting dark, so I'll take some pix of the edged stock today. Some was 12-14" wide after edging.

The good news is that the other half doesn't show the stain and I sent the dude whom I got it from, some pix and he's a really stand-up kinda guy and immediately offered to replace it. (which is REALLY decent since I figure the risk is always assumed by the dude who saws it).  ;D

Stay tuned for more RRQS updates from the hood.   ::)
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Jemclimber

You just need a catchy name to sell it, like charred oak, similar to denim pine, and then up the price.  ;D
lt15

catalina

PAWalnut, if the stained part has good fleck-save it for yourself, make something out of it and use steel wool dissolved in white vinegar as a stain. you can get a fairly close surface match to iron stain. Gene 

Darrel

Quote from: catalina on December 04, 2017, 10:52:02 AM
PAWalnut, if the stained part has good fleck-save it for yourself, make something out of it and use steel wool dissolved in white vinegar as a stain. you can get a fairly close surface match to iron stain. Gene

x2
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

PA_Walnut

Yes, it has really good fleck and clear...great material except that dang metal. Interestingly, didn't effect the blade, etc. but really tainted the wood. Not sure what it is/was in that thing, but you can even see little spots here and there. See pix for the pain. :(

The other half of the log doesn't exhibit the same metal clues that the first one did. Hopefully, it will be better. Will post results.

Moral of the story is: don't let log-lust lure you into deceit. I saw the metal in the end and hoped for the best.   [taking a silent moment to bow my head.]  smiley_mellow

I'm gonna follow it through the process to drying, etc. Never know if someone may think it's got "character" and is cool. If not, I'm building a cabin and may use it for "conversational flooring".  :D
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Magicman

I have had customers rave over nail/metal stained lumber, and especially the actual metal.  They used it where the metal/stain would be their badge of honor or trophy. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Resonator

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. (Old saying).
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Ljohnsaw

Does the stain continue up out the top end of the log?  If so, the metal was up higher.  If not, have you tried your metal detector (not your blade, ;) ) yet to see if you can find it now?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on December 05, 2017, 09:01:44 AM
I have had customers rave over nail/metal stained lumber, and especially the actual metal.  They used it where the metal/stain would be their badge of honor or trophy.

I have a bucket full of Trophies.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!