The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Reverse Roll Quarter Sawing  (Read 14535 times)

ljohnsaw and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • There's a lot more to it.
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
Re: Reverse Roll Quarter Sawing
« Reply #220 on: December 05, 2017, 08:48:36 am »
It definitely looks different.
Hobby Hardwood Alabama.com
LT40 Diesel Hydraulic, Stihl 028, MS440, MS660, 2 Kilns

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #221 on: December 05, 2017, 09:01:44 am »
I have had customers rave over nail/metal stained lumber, and especially the actual metal.  They used it where the metal/stain would be their badge of honor or trophy. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Resonator

• I'm new!
« Reply #222 on: December 05, 2017, 09:08:01 am »
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. (Old saying).
"Chasing the sawdust dream..."

Online ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
« Reply #223 on: December 05, 2017, 09:39:46 am »
Does the stain continue up out the top end of the log?  If so, the metal was up higher.  If not, have you tried your metal detector (not your blade, ;) ) yet to see if you can find it now?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 38" cut Bandmill up to 64' - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline POSTONLT40HD

• Senior Member x2
  • G29
« Reply #224 on: December 05, 2017, 05:49:07 pm »
I have had customers rave over nail/metal stained lumber, and especially the actual metal.  They used it where the metal/stain would be their badge of honor or trophy.

I have a bucket full of Trophies.  ;D
I'm thinking......

Offline PA_Walnut

« Reply #225 on: December 05, 2017, 06:10:15 pm »
Whatever it is, is invisible to my detector...now and before. Maybe I need a new one. However, I always confirm it's working by putting it to my pocket of keys or something and it starts squawking.  :-\

Maybe I need to market it as "Metal Meets Wood: The Showdown" or call it "Peace Era Hardwoods" (no mention of which one) and maybe a bearded dude with a flannel shirt,uncomfortably tight jeans, a MacBook Pro, a Carmel Mocha Orange Zest free-trade coffee and a pocket full of organic cashews with want it.  :D
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe

Offline alan gage

« Reply #226 on: December 06, 2017, 09:30:51 am »
I was cutting down some oak trees a few weeks ago and one had heavy iron stain in the butt. It was about 140 years old and the stain looked to be within the first 40 years of its life. The tree was long dead and pretty cracked up so I decided to use it as firewood rather than save it for the sawmill. Started bucking it up and splitting the rounds to see what had caused the stain. All I was able to find was a sliver of a nail that was left. Almost rusted completely away.

Alan

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #227 on: December 06, 2017, 02:34:27 pm »
I opened one up last week that from the size it obviously had been a small nail, but was now only black powder.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline xlogger

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #228 on: December 08, 2017, 04:36:22 am »
I've just started sawing some lately. Looked over this post several times and agree its slow the way in the video on here did it. But that's the way I did one yesterday and got some nice boards. Question is that I don't have an edger and rrqs might be faster on sawing but how much time again do you have to put in it on edging? Not sure it was worth it. I was planning on getting an edger last year but decided on getting a slabber saw. Still looking for an used one in my area but no luck so far.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Offline PA_Walnut

« Reply #229 on: December 08, 2017, 05:28:25 am »
For me, it would be rough w/o an edger or straight-line rip. As a matter of fact, an edger has made ALL of my sawing easier and faster since I really dislike edging on the mill. I can edge a whole day's worth of sawing in less than an hour with someone offloading to stacking.

However, a qsawn board full of flecks is worth a LOT more in my market, so it's worth is to take the extra time and/or labor to make it. I've considering making a "set" or "bundle" of material that is same-tree with the qsawn material featured, but some lesser, perhaps rift sawn lesser boards part of it for rails/stiles, etc. Same-tree sets have a lot of appeal in my market, especially exceptional material.
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel

Offline PA_Walnut

« Reply #230 on: Today at 07:39:22 am »
Well, in the way of an update, the 2nd half of my metal-infested white oak seems to be producing better stuff. However, I think this log is cursed: Had to cut off the flare with my saw and it fell on my toe (yes, I need steel toes NOW), 1/2 fell off the mill when trying to turn it, broke a blade, until finally I shut'er down for the day...had a bourbon and decided to regroup at a later time.

The wide RRQSawn is looking good, allowing 2-3 boards before needing to roll, take a wedge and cut again.
Some of it is getting really pink when the air hits it.

LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #231 on: Today at 07:52:20 am »
All my white oak pinks up, too.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #232 on: Today at 08:00:11 am »
Hope your foot is OK.  The wood looks great.  If your are turning big halves toward the backstops, move the head about midway down the carriage, so it blocks the cant from rolling off.

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #233 on: Today at 08:01:39 am »
All my white oak pinks up, too.
Its interesting it turns pink, so does my sycamore, which will sometimes turn very red.

Offline nativewolf

• I'm new!
« Reply #234 on: Today at 08:01:50 am »
Well, in the way of an update, the 2nd half of my metal-infested white oak seems to be producing better stuff. However, I think this log is cursed: Had to cut off the flare with my saw and it fell on my toe (yes, I need steel toes NOW), 1/2 fell off the mill when trying to turn it, broke a blade, until finally I shut'er down for the day...had a bourbon and decided to regroup at a later time.

The wide RRQSawn is looking good, allowing 2-3 boards before needing to roll, take a wedge and cut again.

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

Try a pair of boots with composite toe protection, they are much warmer.  Based on several threads on this forum I bought a pair of Haix and after a bit of wear in they are doing really well right now.  Others make composite as well.  Just one more instance of this forum really helping out, I have cold feet and am a bit clumsy so I was looking for the best boots possible.

Offline PA_Walnut

« Reply #235 on: Today at 08:03:28 am »
Never thought of that. Great idea. I seems to be having issues of the back edge (toward the uprights) sticking out too far at times and getting the carriage hung-up. This causes a HUGE pita as I have to back out of the cut. Am I doing it wrong?  :-\
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel

Offline PA_Walnut

« Reply #236 on: Today at 08:05:34 am »
Thanks for the tip. Seems to be on ongoing curse. Over the summer, dropped a HUGE flitch on my toe...will spare the details. Then, just was it was healing...did similar.
Last week, was unhitching my plow off the UTV and dropped the blade edge on the other toe. :(
Steel toes are gonna be my new friend!  :D :D

Try a pair of boots with composite toe protection, they are much warmer.  Based on several threads on this forum I bought a pair of Haix and after a bit of wear in they are doing really well right now.  Others make composite as well.  Just one more instance of this forum really helping out, I have cold feet and am a bit clumsy so I was looking for the best boots possible.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #237 on: Today at 08:15:22 am »
Never thought of that. Great idea. I seems to be having issues of the back edge (toward the uprights) sticking out too far at times and getting the carriage hung-up. This causes a HUGE pita as I have to back out of the cut. Am I doing it wrong?  :-\
You can also forward roll the half log, with the high back edge set up toward the idler wheel, and lower edge against the backstops.  You can get a little more clearance that way.