iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Swingmills - What's best?

Started by CosmoPack, November 29, 2004, 11:44:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CosmoPack

I have a job to saw 200-225 large hardwood logs (mostly oak, 40" ave dia, 16' long) into 8" cants for a large hardwood mill.  These logs are too large to go through their debarker.  I have decided that a swing mill is the best choice for this job.  What have you seen on processing loarg logs that may be helpful to me? What experience do you have with swing mills?  Can you share the benefits/limitations of these mills? I've talked to Lucas and Peterson so far.  

Thanks for the feedback.

Chris

Captain

Holy smokes, Chris that is over 200,000BF :o  Sounds like you need a Peterson ASM, and a really big machine to move logs, lumber and waste.  Not to mention a hired hand or two.

But seriously, I am biased  ;D.  Tell us more about your plans...is this temporary, full time, new career??  What kind of support equipment and help will you have available?

I don't think that you will get an argument from many here that a swing blade is the way to go.

Captain

Ianab

That would be classed as a fair Whack of Logs  :D

I'm biased to the Peterson mills as well  ;)

However probably more important than the mill is the support equiment and work area. However if you will be working at a large mill I presume they will have forklifts or loaders for moving logs and cants around, and disposing of slabs and sawdust.

I believe one major advantage of the Peterson for you will be that it can reliably make 8 inch cuts in hardwood. The Lucas with it's thinner blade may have to make two runs to make an 8" cut.

Whatever you end up with get the larger engine option, you are going to be doing full capacity cuts all the time.

Expect to see some pretty impressive production if you have the right setup there.

Good luck  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Fla._Deadheader

Yep, fixin to buy 1 or 2 Petersons. Lucas is a simple design, but, I got both Videos, and have checked with those members of the forum that run Lucas and Peterson. That's why my choice.

Hey Cap'n, got any Petersons in my area, at least south of the Mason_Dixon line ???  I gotta learn how to run 'em.  ::) ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Jeff

I can tell ya right now that the support here will lean towards the Peterson's for sure. Many of Peterson's staff are members here as well as the fact that they are sponsors of the forum. I certainly can totally recommend Peterson Mills where as Lucas, I ain't got a clue.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

D._Frederick

CP,

If you would have study work (more than 200 - 300 logs)  to be canted, I first would look at the Moble Dimension mill if you want higher production go with the larger Mighty Mite circle mills. I question if the lite weight swinger mills will hold up to the pounding of having heavy equipment moving logs to them. Just one touch with heavy equipment and you will have a bent or sprun track or frame.

Timo

I'm new to milling, but considering I just went through the research process you are about to, I'll add my 2 cents worth :) which are worth more now with the rising canadian exchange rate!

Now, from what I can tell you need to know how long they will give you to do the job. If time is not a huge factor, then a non - automated mill 'a pusher' ;D might be fine.
Secondly, the size of the cants is an issue - you should get better production with larger cants, provided you can move them (fork lift?).
My guess would be a Peterson 10" WPF if this is a one time job, or ASM if this is a long term set up (added cost will pay off in added production). Either way I would figure the largest cut possible would be a benefit. My guess is the user would prefer a larger cant as well, assuming their mill is more efficient (less kerf).

I spoke with a fellow locally that is doing something similar: He is set up at a mill that handles 24" and under - they deck the larger wood on the side for him and he breaks it down into +/-8x8 beams for bridge timbers for their road building. He is running a Lucas 8" modified to fit a 9'' cut blade (Lucas use to offer this as an option but he just hogged out the guard and fitted it). He claims to do 3000-5000 bf per day with a helper and fork lift and is making pretty good $. Happy with the Lucas to, incidently.  :D :D :D
Peterson WPF27 with bipedal, dual grapple, 5'6" loader/ offloader

Captain

Aww now, Harold just get up here to Boston before the bay freezes up and we will cut as much as you want...maybe more.

I'll even let you push buttons on the Automated..... ;)

Captain

PS Yep, we got them in the south too....

Fla._Deadheader

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr,  Why ya supposin I'm headed further SOUTH ??? ;D :D :D :D  I done put up wit that froze over Bay, many a winter. ;D ;D

Gimme a head's up on somebody close, except that guy near Lake City. He's too hard to get pinned down. Got a "secret" sawin business going, I'd reckon. ::) ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

CosmoPack

Hey guys, thanks for the responses.  I'm going to start into the sawing business as a full time gig starting with this contract.  I've been hobby sawing for 8-9 years now with a small TA Schmid manual mill.  I added hydraulic log dogging last year - got tired of bending over on Saturdays!  I grew up in sawmilling and logging with my family.  My brother still logs full time in NC putting out 65-70 tractor trailer loads per week.  

My plan is to get started full time with the swinger and purchase a stationary electric bandmill later in 2005 for grade sawing.  I've looked at alot of info on mills and my top three are the Baker 3630E, Woodmizer LT40HD and the Timber Harvester 36" electric (can't remember the model!)

I talked to the people at Lucas (Baileys) and the folks at Peterson today.  Looking forward to the move from my office job back to the mill!

Some may think I'm crazy, but I've got the sawdust in my blood!

Equipment line-up on hand-
OLD Allis-Chalmers forklift model 514 (I think)
Prentice 210C Knuckleboom Loader
Prentice 384 Knuckleboom Loader

BW_Williams

Chris, I'm just a part time, hobby type sawmiller with a Lucas 618 and I'm wondering how your working this deal, by the hour or by the bdft.  My vote would be for a MD with the single edger option, (8x12 max) .  I haven't seen the ASM in real life yet, they might be up to the task.  Good luck and keep us posted.  
Harold, I run one of them secret sawmilling business, but people keep finding me :D got a cedar gave to me today 61" on the butt end (tapers quick though)  BWW
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

Fla._Deadheader

Hi BW. We tried to meet this guy 4 different times, on a weekend, and finally, during the week. He kept saying, he has the mill at another location, 45 minutes away.

I could find no other reason than to think he only wants credit for owning the machine. I believe you sign a release to have folks contact you for info ???  I'm NOT giving this guy some credits for talking to me. He said NOTHING. >:( ;D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Fla._Deadheader

What's the biggest diameter y'all can cut, comfortable wise ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

BW_Williams

Lucas 618,  54" diameter. Hey Harlod there's a Peterson for sale in FLA on the exchange.  www.sawmillexchange.com
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

Captain

And a good price too. About 20-25%off new.

Captain

TN_man

Captain,
Can that 10' WPF use a 8' blade if you wanted to have the thinner kerf and run at a higher RPM ???
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

Captain

Good question but sorry, not possible.  :(  The blades are not interchangable.  The reason is that the geometry of the swing mechanism is designed to work with a specific diameter blade....The 10" blade is about 26" in diameter, and the 8" blade about 22.  If you put an 8" blade on a 10" mill, the blade would be about 2" too short of reaching intersect in both horizontal and vertical.

The 6" mills are upgradeable to an 8" mill WITH A NEW GEARBOX.  It has a different gear ratio to achieve the proper rim speed, and a different dimension output shaft.

The 6" and 8" mills ARE NOT upgradable to a 10" mill because of the physical size between the framework of the saw carriage, it is too small to accomodate the 10" blade, 10" mills are bigger.  This, by the way, is the reason that the 10" mills are legitimately more expensive than the 8" mills.

Captain

Ianab

TN... the 10" mill can use the new thin curf blade. It's the same diameter and speed, but has a large reinforcing boss that reduces the maximum cut depth. It achieves the same thing, less sawdust and faster cutting.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

TN_man

Thanks for info guys. I was just curious.
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

Ga_Boy

Captian,

How far away are you from Providence, RI?

I have a daytime JOB  >:( issue up there I gotta go look after.  If it is close I would like to drop by and say hello.

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Captain

I'm about 16 miles from Providence.  23 miles from TF Green Airport.  I am actually much closer to Providence than Boston.  Just let us know when you're coming, I got one of them day jobs too.... ::)

Captain

Ga_Boy

Cap,

That is close.  I was to be on a plane Monday morning, but a last minute problem came up that resulted in me getting sent on a detail to another agency to assit.  I should be up there in a week or so.  

Need grits?

Mark

Fla._Deadheader

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Captain

Naw, no offence to you southern fellers, but I get all the grits I want when I go to the Cracker Barrel.  It is not that I dislike them, but this is more like what we have in the food pantry here in New England....

http://www.mybrandsinc.com/ShopOnline/Catalog.asp?t=7&s=HOMESTAT&ss=0&p=1

Too bad Mark, you'll miss the ASM.  It will be all crated up and headed for its new home in Louisiana then...destined for a lifetime sawin' up sinker pine and cypress.....the new owner will be here Friday for training.

Captain

CosmoPack

Again, thanks for the responses.  I received the video from Peterson last night and watched it.  The Peterson looks nice, but the price does too!  

My biggest concern is for parts and support for the Peterson having to come all the way from New Zealand.  If there was a domestic source for parts and service, I would be in strong favor of the Peterson.  As it stands now, I think that I am going to try the Lucas 827 and see how it stands up to the big hardwoods that I have waiting.

Fla._Deadheader

Cosmo, I am figuring on a Peterson or two. If you look closely, there are very few parts that could fail on the swing mills. Unless a gearbox goes out, I plan to order several blades and talk to Jake about the parts that have a record of failure, I will order those also.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Hammy

Hi Cosmo,

Just so you know Captain holds spare parts for us (Petersons) on your side of the States. So you have the option of either working slightly ahead of yourself & ordering from us, or if you need something in a hurry you can always contact Captain & have him send you what you need.

All the best!
C. Hammond
Petersons

Ga_Boy

Cap,

Well today my Providence trip got cancelled.  Not to bother, I also have a trip scheduled for New Haven after the first.  If'n I remember my geography that is just down the road a spell from you.

My real purpose for wanting to visit is to get a look see at either a ATS or WPF for my operation.

Let you know more after the first.  Most likely when I go to New Haven I'll get redirected into Providence anyway.

Mark

FeltzE

Don't worry about blades, you can get them made to order from several manufacturers here in the states.

BTW the swingblade behind the barn got some use a cpl weeks ago and was running well!

Eric

Captain

Hey Mark, New Haven is about 120 miles on I-95 from me.  We've always got mills around  ;D  If you're going to New Haven you may just have to stop by LogRite as well.  If I went with you we may ba able to convince Tammy to whip up some of the WORLD FAMOUS LOGRITE BROWNIES.  I also heard that Kevin had FF Event Withdrawl Syndrome, so this may be good for him as well.

Captain

woodbeard

I have ordered parts from Peterson a couple of times and had them in under a week. They have also been helpful in sending tech info via email.

doublecutusa

CosmoPack
  Zebulon NC

Sawing for fun - maybe more?

« on: 11/29/04 at 14:44:27 »  Report  Quote  Modify  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a job to saw 200-225 large hardwood logs (mostly oak, 40" ave dia, 16' long) into 8" cants for a large hardwood mill.  These logs are too large to go through their debarker.  I have decided that a swing mill is the best choice for this job.  What have you seen on processing loarg logs that may be helpful to me? What experience do you have with swing mills?  Can you share the benefits/limitations of these mills? I've talked to Lucas and Peterson so far.  

Thanks for the feedback.

Chris  
CosmoPack
  Zebulon NC

Sawing for fun - maybe more?

« on: 11/29/04 at 14:44:27 »  Report  Quote  Modify  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the feedback.

Chris  
Really good feed back for you here Chris.  I like both the Peterson and the Lucas.  Recently, I was at the Sunbelt Farm Expo in Moultrie, Georgia.  I was able to watch and meet all the sawmill guys there.  Woodmizer, Lucas, Peterson, Oscar, Hudson, and D&L if I remember right.  The swingarms were really hummin'.  I had a chance to personally saw with the Ecosaw at the D&L booth.  Its arm swings 180 degrees or 90 degrees either to the left or right. There were a couple other features I liked as well.  The Peterson had a neat saw there as well as the Lucas.  I did not get a chance to go through the band-boys as thoroughly but wow, what a show.  I would suggest checking them all carefully. ;)

CosmoPack

Holding my nose and off the deep end I go!

Just pulled the trigger on a used Peterson 10" WPF from the Sawmill Exchange.  He's going to deliver to me on Sunday.  Will start setting up next weekend.

I felt that the WPF was the best mill all along for what I am going to do.  However the $ difference and delivery date from NZ were holding me back and steering me to the Lucas.  The 10" capacity gives me the ability for 2 x 10 joists that will make a big difference in the long run.

Thanks for the helpful opinions from all sides.  Keep the suggestions coming.  I know that I'm going to need them.

Hammy

Hey Cosmo,

Congratulations on your Peterson mill & welcome aboard!!!

Would you be able to touch base with our offices here sometime soon when you have collected the sawmill? We would like to be able to enter your details so we can keep you informed with updates, news & so on. We will also be able to update you as the new owner of that mill.

You can either call our free phone 1877 3271471 or drop us an email. Be great to hear from you!! If you ever need anything just give us a call or drop an email through.

Well I guess thats your Christmas present sorted out then huh? Santa was good to you.  ;D

Congrat's again & enjoy!!
C. Hammond
Petersons

Ga_Boy

Cap,

I did not know Log Rite was so close.  I like brownies, we'll have to stop by and say hello.

Mark

Captain

Congrats Cosmo!!

I see a whole new thread starting....and we expect more questions..... ;D

Captain

Fla._Deadheader

Sure glad an FF member got that mill. I thought hard, but, I believe it's easier to get one dropped into CR, direct from NZ. 8)
   First, it is ridiculed;

CosmoPack

Yea,  I'm glad that I got it.  I did a lot of brain cell exercise over this.  I know how the mill concept works, I've got to figure out how to handle the 8x8x16' Red oak cants that I will be cutting out of those monster logs.  I'll have to get some pics of the log pile before we start moving them.  I definitely believe that the pile will qualify as a "Whack" of logs ;D

Fla._Deadheader

Cosmo, you in North NC, or South NC ??? May hafta slide up there and "Hep" ya play with that mill  :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

TN_man

Congradulations Cosmo!
I am glad another FF brother was able to get it. My son and I talked about that sawmill as well, but did not have the $ to turn loose of yet to get it. We are getting closer though. I just got a job cutting a whack of red oak logs up into 6x6's that I could have used it on.
Have fun with it ;D

CosmoPack

Hammond,  Thanks, I'll be in touch first of next week after I receive the mill.

Fla_Deadheader - I'll be set up in the south central part of NC - a small town of Candor - agout 50 miles south of Greensboro, 75 miles east of Charlotte.  Drop on by if you ever get up this way.  I'll let you slice a few boards off the mill.

TN_Man My brother and I went in together to make this happen.  It seems that the stars lined up straight for once.

Captain - I'll be starting up a new thread next week for all my questions.  I hope that the server is ready for me to cut loose!

Arthur

Give Lindsay at D&L Doublecut a call (they are also sponsors of FF).

He is now selling the EcoSaw with modifications for the US market (imperial measurments, 31hp Briggs,etc).

The US version is made in Canada and can cut a log 6.2m length (longer with extensions) and over 78" diameter.  Electric versions are also available.

Give him a call for a CD Video

Swing_blade_Andy

Cosmo

Good Job on the choice of a swing mill for this job. I've run a Lucas with all the trimmings and used a Petersen thanks to my Mate in Wales (Hiya). I think that you made the right choice, mainly because you'll find the easy double cut option of the Petersen helpfull for breaking down those big logs.

For my part the biggest log I've processed was 7' 4" diameter at eye level and still thicker than your leg up 80'. These machines are extremely versitile and best suited to the big bad boys.

Just curious, I hope that you will begin right away, quarter sawing those logs. Oak in particular lends itself to more than usual attention to the cut. If there are any edge trees you need to cut stable shapes (quartered). Why for instance have you chosen to cut 8x8? Seems an odd thing to do to me, even at 16' that'll weight more than 250 kg (or more than 2 men can lift). The materials handeling of this job will be the factor that will make it humm or deliver hernia's and headaches all around. I've done something similar(give or take 100 logs or so), but they were not Oak logs.

Take plenty of pics so they the rest of us poor sods can droole and dribble at the mouth.

Cheers and merry christmas from France to all you chaps
Swing Blade Andy

CosmoPack

I'm cutting these logs for a larg hardwood mill nearby.  These logs are too large for them to run through their mill.  All I have to do is break them down into cants for them to put back into their mill.  That's why figuring out how to handle the cants is my challenge.  What I have floating around in my mind is to set up a winch out one end of the mill.  I will attach a set of log tongs to the cable and use the winch to pull the cants off of the log into the pile.  That's my plan, anyway.

I'll be sure to post some pics when I get started.

Swing_blade_Andy

Cosmo
That will be nice work I hope that they are paying you well for the job, after all they cannot do it themselves. If you can then you've got the upper negotiating hand.

As far as handeling the cant is concerned, try to stay as simple as possible. I suggest a technique that I have employed before with some success. Errect a bipod like a big 'A' at the far end of the mill. When the cant is cut lean the Bipod over the end of the log and attach dogs or some other fixer of your choice. Then winch the top of the Bipod away from the mill, this will slightly lift the cant and pull it away at the same time. From there you can stack it of move it to a log bench or so forth.

The one thing you don't want is for the cant to fall to the ground after it comes of the end of the log. If it does its dirty and nie on impossible to move to a stack easily. The Bipod is easy to make and will keep your height so that the cant can be manhandled without busting a valve. If it falls - don't be anywhere near it, it could kill you as no two people will not be able to lift if of you. I'd do a drawing but I don't know how to up load graphics (help! some clever person...)

I think that the bipod was employed in the Pyramids, certainly the ancient Celts used it for moving large stones. Hope that this helps..

Cheers

Andrew

CosmoPack

Andrew,

Thanks for that idea.  I'll put that into my list and see what comes out.  I have built a hydraulic power pack for my band mill to dog my logs with hydraulic power.  I am thinking of adding a power-beyond section to the main valve and running a couple of lines over to the swing mill area to power the winch, rollers, stacking device`(when I figure out what that will be!)  I have also thought of purchasing a grapple for a skid-steer loader.  Then my stacker man could pick the cant off of the log and move it to the pile with the loader.  Any more ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

Ianab

Hi Cosmo

Do you have forks on your Skidsteer?
If so you should be able to run them up to the log where the cant is sitting and roll the cant off onto the forks. ( I'm sure the Logrite folks can help with this ) Pull the skidsteer back, cut the next cant. Once you have a load on the skidsteer trundle them off to the stack. You will have to move them some way to get a hook or grapple around it anyway. A slide and a roll then they will be on the forks for easy handling.

Cheers

Ian

Swing_blade_Andy

Ian
I Don't like to pore the water on a mate, but don't you think that a fork is a bit too much of a brute to gently pick of a big cant without disturbing the level of the log.

For my part I'm not good enough with a fork to do that every time, don't know anyone who is either. I think that one touch too much with the skidsteer and the rest of the log is out of line and will take a lot of time to get back else your next cant is a taper. Client will not be a happy camper with much of that carry on I would say. (Sorry mate just had to pitch in)

Cosmo

I would encourge you to reconsider the use of a skid steer with the cant whilst it is still on the log for the reason above. After its off no problem of course. As I see it the difficulty is to move a 250kg thing which is free on two edges sitting on a nice moist bed of duston the third and 7mm away from the fourth edge which you must not touch when you are grabbing and moving this thing. I tell you, after having done it a bunch of times - it is deffinately not simple. Doing it once when there is no time pressure or it really doesn't matter if the log moves a little bit is different - you can get away with everything. But I don't think that you are in the asituation, or maybe I have read this wrong and you have unlimited time to get this done profitably. If so ignore me completely.

These are the problems that keep me addicted to milling.

Thanks for the opportunity to mess with them.

Andrew

Ianab

Hi Andy

I understand what you mean, it wouldn't be practical to pick up the cant using forks, it would almost surely move the log. I was suggesting the forks be set a couple of inches away and below the cant. Then it is manually slid or rolled over and down on to the forks and taken away. You would still have to be carefull not to move the log but it's a big log and if it's cradled in a good set of bunks it should be OK?

Ian

doublecut

Just wanted to mention the ecosaw as well as a part of the swing blade mills. Something to look at. It has some big advantages when sawing large timbers or boards. Have a look at the ecosaw. I haven't heard it mentioned so i thought i would mention it.
doublecut

woodbeard

Congrats, Cosmo! 8) 8) 8)
Now, it sounds like what you need is a sky hook. :D

Swing_blade_Andy

Hey Woodbeard

You recon that would be a no.4 or a no.5 skyhook now?

Myself I got a bunch of hours on a 4 but 5's are pretty rare around these parts, I can't think for the life o' me were you'd get a 5.

If you know it'd be grand for a just knowing.

The father used to send me to the shop to get him no.4's all the time when I was a lad...He also wanted 'emery sparks' , couldn't think what he wanted them for, but I go em just the same.

Andrew

woodbeard

Andy, I doubt there are any No. 5 skyhooks in France. You might be able to get one in Belgium, but it will be Flemish, so bring a towel. The emery sparks are what make the board stretcher work.

CosmoPack

Arthur

We use a cant hook with adjustable rollers at the end of the log.  Lets you get the timber away from the log before using any mechanical equipment.

1953greg

good day    greg

Ianab

Greg

Cosmo bumped this post up to the top of the list as he was asking the same question a few months back.  He got the same answer too  ;)

Ian

DanG

I've had a chance to watch the swingers swing quite a bit, and the biggest problem I see with them has nothing to do with the saw itself.  Setting the log on temporary bunks, held only by gravity, is fine in remote locations, where you're going to be moving around a lot. But, in Cosmo's case, he'll be sawing in a fixed location with plenty of time and reason to set up a better log holding system.  Face it guys, the notched beam is a half-fast solution to a very simple problem. You shouldn't have to worry about knocking the log out of alignment while just removing a cant.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Ianab

This is true Dang. If you are setting up in a semi-permanant location there is nothing to stop you making a more permanant set of bunks with proper clamps like the MD ones.
I haven't bothered because I'm allways sawing in remote spots and need the portablilty. I here that Jake is working on a better set of dogs that I guess will be available as an option to those that need them.

Cheers

Ian

CosmoPack

I put in a full day of sawing on Saturday with the Peterson.  I sawed 5 red oak logs and produced about 2700BF of cants.  The MD log dogs have done a real good job of holding the logs in place.  I am setting the logs in place with a knuckleboom loader.  I saw a few (2-4) cants and roll them off to the left side of the log.  I then use the KB loader to move and stack the cants.  It takes some time from sawing, but it is the only way that I can move a 8x10x16' red oak cant!  I will start setting up my permanant location in two weeks and I have some ideas to move the cants without using a KB loader that I hope will save me some time.

Arthur

Quote from: DanG on February 06, 2005, 11:56:32 AM
I've had a chance to watch the swingers swing quite a bit, and the biggest problem I see with them has nothing to do with the saw itself.  Setting the log on temporary bunks, held only by gravity, is fine in remote locations, where you're going to be moving around a lot. But, in Cosmo's case, he'll be sawing in a fixed location with plenty of time and reason to set up a better log holding system.  Face it guys, the notched beam is a half-fast solution to a very simple problem. You shouldn't have to worry about knocking the log out of alignment while just removing a cant.

DanG

next time im over I will show you one advantage of temp wood dogs.  I and many users of the EcoSaw normally end up with sap wood and bark left on the ground.

To do this we are quite often cutting into the blocks supporting the log.  If they where metal you would loose all your tip (teeth).

This is one of the reasons we can get 70%plus in recovery of good solid logs.  A good operator will only leave behind sawdust, sap and bark.   

My personal best recovery was 79% on a 1.5m diameter log.

arthur

doublecut

There is another mill that is out that swings as well.The Ecosaw. For tapered logs it works quite nicely as it runs on a paralepllogram system which allows to set set for taper both on the horizontal as well as the verticle. It is quite a unique machine.I ran the first one in moultrie Georgia. We cut the burlies piece of oak i had ever seen.The square blade design is really aggressive and takes less power to run. But I thought it may be too aggressive and make a rougher cut with only 4 teeth but did not come out that way. The all stainless steel construction made for a very durable mill . Just not sure about the metric settings but i thought a guy could change that pretty easy. I work in inches and feet. The other noticable thing was the option of inserted blades.This is where the operator can change out the teeth in the saw in the field with out moving the saw.Which can be quite help full if there is alot of metal in the wood. I'm not sure if the other swingers have the inserted option as well.Can someone comment on that?
doublecut

doublecut

There is a  portable bunk system / dogging sytem that sets up in minutes that can be adapted to any swinger now. Very simple system and durable. It makes it nice to cut down to a 11/2 slab and get what you can from the log. And that 's what it is all about. I've been around the swing mills for some time now and thought that was one thing they were missing in small logs.In my opinion.
doublecut

Ianab

QuoteThe other noticable thing was the option of inserted blades.This is where the operator can change out the teeth in the saw in the field with out moving the saw.Which can be quite help full if there is alot of metal in the wood. I'm not sure if the other swingers have the inserted option as well.Can someone comment on that?

An insert blade is also availabe for the Peterson but has a slightly wider kerf because of the inserts. I think tt cuts a bit slower because of the wider kerf. It's usually recomended for the guys in really remote areas that dont have access to a local sawdoctor for normal retipping services.

Cheers

Ian

Thank You Sponsors!