iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rebuilding a Belsaw M-14

Started by Dieseltim, December 25, 2016, 04:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

My timberking M-14 is red, the belsaw has been blasted and somewhat repainted in red, the tag has some original red highlights on it. I don't think you'd be wrong in red.

I remember one of Noble's funny stories about some neighbors who hooked up an automatic to their mill and ran it in drive. They thought it was doing great when it would downshift in cut  :D.

Dieseltim

Well guys it looks like this one was a Kubota orange color.  What do you think?

loggah

Basically this orange primer color thats on my mill,it had always been under cover most of its life untill i got it a few years ago.

Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Dieseltim

Wow looks great. I  re-read your build thread just last night.

So, orange apparently was used on them at one time. Good to know. I was leaning to Kubota orange as I already have a Kubota tractor. Lol

Sure wish I had the longer carriage I only have a 10 ft one for now. I'm hoping to get a second one that I can link together with mine when I need to saw longer logs.

Kbeitz

That looks like pallet racking orange.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Dieseltim

Poor old frame is just about to fall apart.

Trapper John

Tim, I was wondering how you will run the cable with those full height cross members.  I think you will have to use two pulleys at each end, one above the other so you can clear those cross members.   

Dieseltim

Trapper,

I plan to use a trailer axle for the hubs and install rims for pulleys.

BigZ La

Keep up the good work, I'm getting plenty of ideas here. Thanks

Dieseltim

Anyone else ever thought about modifying the log dogs to get a bigger log under them? As i measured from the point down I only had 20" , but if you turn the dogs over you can gain almost 7 more inches. So, just cut a few teeth in the top side and put a removable pin in the backside, and now if I ever need it I'll pull them out and flip them over and have an extra 6+ inches of space under the dog, for those bigger ones.

Darrel

Now when you get the bigger saw blade, you'll be all set.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Dieseltim

Ok paint colors have been selected. Orange with black for details. Got to love Rustolium.

Dieseltim

Got most of the carriage painted. I don't really think it will stay that way long once I start putting logs on it, but it should keep it from rusting more.

Darrel

That heavy frame almost makes the carriage look insignificant.
1992 LT40HD

Dieseltim

Well not really any pics of today's progress, spent most all day with a laser level and a shovel. In the end, I think it is within 1/4" from one end to the other. At 66ft long I think this is pretty good. 8)

bandmiller2

Tim, whats really important is front to rear track as any inconsistency would cause the log to shift slightly and rub the saw plate. Keep up the good work mate. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Dieseltim

Frank,

I'll see what it looks like tomorrow. We have had rain all day today. Maybe 1-2 inches. If it's going to settle any it should have by then. I'm estimating that this thing is almost 8000 lbs. Each of the 4 parts is about all my Kubota tractor wanted to pick up. I know she is starting to get old but it was rated at 2000 lb lift on the front bucket and curl of 2800 lbs. I also know that our bucket truck is rated at 11000 lbs right at the truck, but it will not lift the whole frame.

So, if weight matters much in this project. I should be good. Lol

I had it level at all 6 places, meaning both ends and the middle of both rails with my laser level. It was beeping at all 6 points saying they were the same.

We tampered all the pads before setting it with the boom truck. Then checked it with the laser and moved it off the pads to adjust it till I was happy that all 6 places were as close as we could get them.

Dieseltim

All 6 feet are welded to the legs. Each foot is 12" wide, with the total of 40 square foot for this beast to sit on. That comes out to about 200 psf.  8)

Another job over engineered again.  :P

Trapper John

Tim, I am thinking that sturdy frame will simplify any leveling or plumbing issues.  How are you going to mount the track, directly on your frame with shims or with some kind of rail system?

Dieseltim

I was planning to pull a string from one end to the other and see how flat it really is, then if I don't need much for shims I will weld it right to the top of the frame.

I keep reminding myself that this was originally just a wooden frame that moved every time the humidity and temperature changed.

Trapper John

Tim, I am curious how your system will work over time as I was thinking of a similar system.  You probably don't have much frost in Georgia but you have rain and you are not on piers.  Probably work fine with the low ground pressure and the strength of the frame.  If it settles it will probably settle as a unit. 

Dieseltim

Trapper,

I'm planning to cover the feet with red clay dirt after a few months of setting, just to make sure it doesn't move. But, I can tell you that the frame is so stiff, that from side to side it will lift a leg before it twist.

The only way it seems to have any give is from end to end, it did have some sag in the middle before I leveled it.

As far as frost and freezing is concerned, in Ga. where we are, we have a 6" rule here. Most winters we only get a heavy frost. Only about every 10 years will we get a hard freeze. Same for snow.

Dieseltim

Making progress. Getting everything fitted up and working out any problems.

Darrel

Looks like it is getting close to being functional, not to mention that there also is a whole lot of cool factor going on there. 
1992 LT40HD

Dieseltim

Ok, got the bearings for the main arbor mounted.

Thank You Sponsors!