Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Don P

Can't be mine, I don't see a lost chicken looking at a pile in envy  :D

Dieseltim

I went on Friday and picked up the steel that I needed to make the track with for the carriage to ride on. 1 x 1 angle x 1/4 thick , and 2 x 3 angle x 1/4 thick.

Dieseltim

Got some help from my Dad today, so we got lots done. Several of the cross braces installed. The main frame is now done.

Dieseltim

Hoping to use this Mercedes 5cylinder turbo diesel engine. The OM 617 engines were known to be pretty good, and really reliable.

BigZ La

Can't wait to see this in operation. I've got a circular on my wish to do list  :laugh:

Gearbox

Ok you may have to find a belt driven governor off a combine or some kind of picker . The older Gleaner ran a chevy v8 with a belt driven governor . the linkage may be a pain but with your welding skills you can do it .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

BUGGUTZ

Do you plan to run in first gear to get the desired RPM? I have been wanting to use a Cummins auto I have but havent figured it out yet.
Everyone has to be somewhere.

Dieseltim

Buggutz,

I do plan to try and run the auto transmission, but I'm hoping to run it in second gear so as to keep the rpm of the engine around 2600-3000. To stay more in the power/torque band of this engine. By using the OEM rear diff I have from the car. I will have a 3.46 : 1 reduction.

So, if I'm shooting for a blade speed of 540 RPM, then 3rd gear might be too slow for the engine, and 1st might have the engine turning too fast. I really will not know till I have it all together.

Dieseltim

Ok, Gearbox. How about this one? Got it from a friend that removed it from a Ford 300 that was on a de-iceing truck from the airport. It is a Hoof products unit. I think it should work for what I need.

Gearbox

That's the one . You will need to keep it full of oil . Like I said you will figure out the linkage . Good to have collector friends .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

BUGGUTZ

Same governor I run. Still dont quite have it keeping me in good power but it mounts up easy.
Everyone has to be somewhere.

Dieseltim

Ok can anyone tell me which way is up? On this govenor. I see the oil fill and drain. But the oil volume will be different depending on how it is mounted. The only thing I have found is the it requires engine oil. The manual says to use engine oil but nothing heavier than  20 weigh.

Gearbox

Like in the pic the levers go up .

Dieseltim

http://www.pittauto.com/customer/piauel/pdf/ford/194-205%20Governors.pdf

Not sure if they will let me post a link to an old site about these belt drive governors. But if it's not allowed I will be happy to sent it by pm. It is a very good pdf about how to install and adjust them.

Dieseltim

So, do you think 6ft wide and 3ft deep is big enough for a sawdust removal pit?

Dieseltim

Ok got the frame moved into place, and it is only out of level about 1 1/2" from end to end and 1" side to side. Not bad for leveling with a dozer and just eyeballing it. I put the laser level on it just for fun. Once I have the feet on the legs, I'll get it dead on. I'm adding 6x12 tubing for it to sit on so it will have a nice big footprint.

Darrel

Doin good!  30 years ago, I saw so many mills pulled apart and sold for scrap or just let sit and rust. It is good to see them being rebuilt and put back in service
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Dieseltim

Darrel,

Funny thing is if this one had of had a steel frame, I'm pretty sure that it would have been sold for scrap metal by my buddy's step son to pay for more pot. But it was a wood frame and was rotten where it was not under the shed that only covered the husk. So, even though he died 12 years ago, I'm still rebuilding it as a tribute to him. With several of my own upgrades. Lol

Hopefully it will last my lifetime and maybe even get moved and rebuilt again after I'm gone. Lol

Darrel

When I was a little kid, my dad built a mill on a wooden frame. I have no idea where it might be today, but man I'd love to have it. I always think of Dad while sawing.  I guess you could say that every board I saw is a tribute to him.

And that frame you're building should last several lifetimes.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

richhiway

Does that old MB have a lock up torque converter? It may not lock up in second gear and that would generate a lot of heat. I had a old 240 and I remember the transmission was "mushy".

Be interesting to see how it works. Looks like a great project.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Dieseltim

No I don't think the auto has a lock up converter. But, it ran that way in the car for many years. Lots of these 300 D are still on the road. I'll see what happens when I get there.

Dieseltim

Progress report. Got the feet under the legs on both ends. So, now to get it centered over the sawdust pit and leveled. Then I can start to lay the tracks.

Dieseltim

Would anyone happen to know what color Belsaw painted these when they were new? What little paint that is left looks like a burnt orange color. I thought it would be nice to give it a fresh coat of paint that is all one matching color with maybe a few accent colors to match. I don't want to paint it black as the summers here in Ga. get close to 100 f sometimes. And, it might be a year or more before it has a roof over head to protect both of us from the heat. Lol

Gearbox

I thought they were red but not sure . let others weigh in. What ever you decide to paint  it will be yours and will look good .

Thank You Sponsors!