iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rebuilding a Belsaw M-14

Started by Dieseltim, December 25, 2016, 04:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Joe, not my post about welding spider gears, I don't do that. I have on occasion locked one side axle which, as you stated, is the proper way. There are so many things that can be done with a differential, I have seen dandy log loaders using one side brake as a clutch. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Kbeitz

I take the smaller ones out of old garden tractors to use as
steering reverses.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Gearbox

Simple turn the rear end over and you reverse the rotation lock up the spiders cut one axel off and you have a angle drive  .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Dieseltim

Gearbox you are right on. That is exactly what I'm planning to do. Once the axle is locked I will see which side rotates in the direction I want, then connect that up to the end of the arbor on the mill. The rear axle rotates both sides forward, so if you flip the axle housing over then they both rotate the other direction. What was up, is now down so to speak.  Lol

Dieseltim

s the weather is getting better and the fact that it was a full moon last night, I got more done than I usually do.

Dieseltim

borrowed a miller bobcat welder/ generator from a buddy of mine this afternoon, so if the weather will clear off again, I'll start welding the frame together.

Darrel

Good to see some progress!  That steel looks to be quite strong.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Dieseltim

Yes, Darrel. It is 6x 12" 3/8 thick. Each beam is close to 2000 lbs. Its all my tractor can do to pickup one beam. Good thing we have a boom truck that can pickup 11,000 lbs and the dozer. Once it is all welded together it will be 66 ft long. What you see so far is only half of the length.

Gearbox

Just reading and thinking . 3.90 gears should work if you turn the engine 2000 it will be 512 RPM . 3.73 would be 536 RPM . 3.55 =563 RPM . 3.23 = 619 RPM.
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Dieseltim

Ok thanks Gearbox. I wonder what rear axle ratio came in a Mercedes 5cylinder turbo diesel D300 with an automatic transmission. I guess I'll have to do some research. I'm thinking they like to run in the higher rpm compared to a truck engine like a 4BT. Higher rpm might be smoother but might burn more fuel.

Gearbox

If you have the truck see how far it is around the tire and devide by 5280 ft. times 60 to get rpm's at 60 mph . If the engine has a overdrive you will need to figure in direct . I think I would shoot for 550 or 560 RPM at the saw to give you a little pull down to get full fuel and turbo spool .

Dieseltim

Ok according to the Mercedes sites, an 83 300d has a rear ratio of 3.46 . I don't think the automatic transmission had overdrive back then but even if it does I can probably lock it out.

Gearbox

That figures out to 576 at 2000 . I think they ran those a lot faster (3000 ?) . Can you use cruise for speed set . If you need more power just shift down 1 gear . Still should run 60 MPH .

Dieseltim

Dieseltim

Coming along a little more each day.

Dieseltim

I think that should be straight enough.

Darrel

Looks nice and straight to me.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Don P

I've been thinking of welding up a "crane" over the carriage at the infeed end. a post with an overhead arm that I can hang a winch from, the cable would have a hook from a cant hook so it can be wrapped around big logs to flip them. That's looking heck for stout.

bandmiller2

Forgive me for saying this but its a lot of overkill for a light duty Belsaw. You could mount a heavy mill on that base. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Dieseltim

Yes Bandmiller2,

It is overkill for most any sawmill, but I already had the steel.... so why not.

I am thinking I would like to put a 60 " blade on it so I'll see how large diameter I can saw with what I have for a while. Then maybe upgrade it later.

Gearbox

Be careful putting a large saw on a belsaw unless you change to a bigger mandrel {ARBOR}. Watch the video on the amish sawing a big log .

Dieseltim

Thanks Gearbox,

If and when I upgrade to a bigger blade, I was planning to upgrade the arbor to 2-3" shaft.

Dieseltim

Probably not my best welds, but no one is x-raying these so I think they will be just fine for a sawmill frame.

Dieseltim

Think that these welds are good enough?  Two passes should be good.

Gearbox

That must be wire . Not enough puddle marks for stick .

Thank You Sponsors!