iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

barnwood builders

Started by dean herring, December 25, 2016, 12:54:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dean herring

Was tossing around the idea of doing  something like the barnwood builders do,but on a
MUCH MUCH smaller scale. More on the line of maybe building  smaller portable cabins for camps or just reclaiming it to save it from just rotting away and loosing more of our history so I am looking for some old structures , older the better. Anywhere within say a few hours drive from Dubach La.Thank you  Merry Christmas
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

pineywoods

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

tareece

Todd Reece
Lover of many things. Experienced in most... expert in few

dean herring

Have found a small dogtrot structure its about 100 miles from here. Just found out about it today.
Owner says its 200 yrs old. I can't tell how big it is but the logs look to be in great shape. It looks like there has been a bigger tin roof structure built over the whole thing. A tree fell on the roof but don't know how long ago. They say the entire thing is cypress. We are trying to get a set time to go look to see if its worth the trouble.
So my question is how much is it worth?
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

nativewolf

Well, on CL you'll see everything from take it down the wood is yours to $20k or so for large standing barn frames in mid atlantic region.  Several companies in OH, PA, VT etc that do this already.  In those markets you have hundreds of thousands of old frames, less termites, great frames. 

I've looked into this myself and I'd be leery of paying more than $4k for almost anything just because you can get a good frame for that if you wait.  Now, that said...there are a few special ones out there.  Really old stuff, pure chestnut, that type of thing, saw one that was solid walnut in southern Ohio.  Then you might pay a bit more. 

I'm a bit dismayed at how they just chainsaw up the joints though.  Lots of good reading on the web on pulling pegs, drilling them out etc. 

Just don't overpay and look hard.  The other problem is that in LA and other parts of the south is that the war between the states sort of gutted a lot of barn structures. 

Good luck, it would be fun!
Liking Walnut

Thank You Sponsors!