iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2017 will be it for me.

Started by petefrom bearswamp, December 25, 2016, 09:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

Have told my wife that the mill will be for sale on October 10th 2017, the day after my 80th.
Plan to just tend to my woodlots, fish and hunt as long as I am able.
Not sure about visiting the forum, but if not will sorely miss everybody.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

Congratulations!!

I sometimes wonder about when/if I will ever retire.  smiley_headscratch Maybe when the time comes I will know the answer.  smiley_idea
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Busy Beaver Lumber

Congrats on your planned retirement. I sure hope I can still cut wood when I am 80 :laugh:
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

WV Sawmiller

Pete,

Good luck on your plans. I always defined retirement as switching from doing what you had to do to what you want to do. At 80 if you'd rather hunt and fish and tend the woodlots than saw lumber more power to you. You might want to keep the mill around a few more months to see if your new plan is really more to your liking. If having the mill means you have to fend off more potential clients than it is worth either hide it or sell it. I hope it all works out well.

Dad always said we have things backwards. People work when they are young and in good health then retire when they are to old to enjoy the time off. He said we should retire when young then we we get old they should work us to death.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

bandmiller2

Its a wise man that knows when to "hang up his guns".  Us old timers are loathed to quit but there will come a time, alas milling is a young mans game but we love to hang on. I will hang on a few more years "puttermilling. Enjoy your time in the woods, each fall is precious. You will always look at the forests with the eyes of a sawyer, especially sitting in a deer stand. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

SawyerBrown

Good for you, pete.  Do what you enjoy, for as long as you can, then do something else you enjoy as you are able.  Oct 10 it is -- wives never (let us) forget!

Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

thecfarm

There you will enjoy it.
WV Sawmiller. I say the same about college. Sometimes it's hard to know what you want to do 20 years from now when you have only lived 18 years. And you can't really count the first 10 years either.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Downstream

Congrats on the "new career" of fishing/hunting.  How long have you been milling and was it business/hobby?

interesting thecfarm is that i just turned 55 this week and have had my mill for about a year.  i have had a good "career" in engineering and mfg but tired of not being able operate all week the way i want to.  what I love about milling and rustic furniture building is i do/build what i want, the way i want and if somebody wants to buy it great if not then I had fun and learned anyway.

question im pondering is to look for another company that allows me to operate a little more the way I want or try out doing the wood/furniture full time.  It seems if I find the right crowd the furniture goes quickly, but big difference between hobby mode vs business mode.  obviously if i shift into business mode probably need to upgrade/add some equipment.  my oldest daughter will graduate college in May so financially timing is good.

My kids do give me a hard time about hounding them about figuring out what they want to do while I have not necessarily figured that out myself.  :D

EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

21incher

Congratulations. You will soon have time to catch up on the honey do list. ;D
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

WV Sawmiller

cfarm,

A lot of truth in what you say about college. I know I was a much better student at 30-35 than I was at 18-20. In college I thought the professor knew everything and I was afraid to ask questions and look dumb. At 30 I was an officer in USMC and if attending a class and I did not understand the instructor I'd stop him on the spot and make him repeat it or explain differently till I did. At that point I figured I was a professional and needed the information he was supposed to provide and if he did not present it such that I could I figured I and the USMC were getting ripped off and I would not tolerate that. It was amazing how often after class others would come up and say "I'm sure glad you asked him about that because I did not understand either" but they were reluctant to ask out of embarrassment and peer pressure.

My wife was a teacher and when she had kids lacking direction she often advised them to try the military. Even if not the career they wanted it would teach them life skills like getting along with people, how to prioritize and organize. If nothing else that might at least learn one job they did not want to do then when they got out they could go on to college or work at something they did like. I like the Scandinavian idea of young men serving a year in the military or civil service. They learn these skills as well as being a force in readiness for their country during times of emergency.

21incher,

You never catch up on the honey-do list. Its like dipping a bucket of water out of the lake and pouring it back in on the other side. The more you complete the more time the wife has to think of other, more difficult projects for you to do.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Quebecnewf

Sawing until 80 is pretty good I say. I am 57 now and if I can get to 80 and still be sawing when I want to I will be more than happy. Stiff like my back is now some days I'm not so sure.

Our logging season will start when we return home in about a week and a half. Very ready to get in the woods now after all this Christmas holiday making.

Merry Christmas to all!!!

Quebecnewf

WDH

Pete,

I hope I get the same chance to make that decision that you did.  Now, you can become a high paid Consultant  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Chuck White

Pete, congrats on your upcoming 2nd retirement!

Hope you'll still come up here to hunt, not just up at your woodlot!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

drobertson

Sounds like you have a great plan! Keep the mill! For a lil while! You may as well check in from time to time, if for nothing else but give some fishing reports! Seriously too!
Happy New year!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Savannahdan

I also hope to be doing some sawmilling at 80.  I always planned to do a lot of fishing when I retired and that hasn't happened yet.  Guess I need to dust off the fishing gear and head down the road.  Good luck.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Texas Ranger

Quote from: WDH on December 25, 2016, 06:16:20 PM
Pete,

I hope I get the same chance to make that decision that you did.  Now, you can become a high paid Consultant  ;D.

Right.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Andries

Congratulations Peter.
Good the hear that you're in charge of what, where and how you're gonna do things.
I've always enjoyed your posts here on the Forum and hope that you'll continue with them for many years to come!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Andries on December 26, 2016, 10:55:40 AM
Congratulations Peter.
Good the hear that you're in charge of what, where and how you're gonna do things.
I've always enjoyed your posts here on the Forum and hope that you'll continue with them for many years to come!

I don't think so.  ::) Andries, are you married? :D

Pete (and MM), you are an inspiration to me.  Hope I can puttermill as long.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

stihltoomany

I hope I am just still alive so that I can retire when I'm 80. Congratulations on the long productive life.
Way too many saws, mostly STIHL
Bobcat S650, Bobcat 331 excavator Bobcat A770
and other dirt toys
Looking for hyd bandsaw mill, Timberking used maybe? NOT anymore!
WoodMizer LT40 super

tareece

Pete.. u got some bigtime fans here... so u better not be a stranger!
  Congrats on the retirement and like so many have said... i hope like all getout that i can do what you r doing at the tender age of 80!!!!
    Happy fishin!!!!

Todd Reece
Lover of many things. Experienced in most... expert in few

Percy

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on December 25, 2016, 09:37:09 AM
Have told my wife that the mill will be for sale on October 10th 2017, the day after my 80th.
Plan to just tend to my woodlots, fish and hunt as long as I am able.
Not sure about visiting the forum, but if not will sorely miss everybody.
Well my guzzintas says you have close to 10 months of milling left. Pretty awesome for a 79 year old. I'm hoping to be you in about 16-17 years. Growing old has its advantages as you have demonstrated. Wish I knew you better👍
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

trapper

You can keep us updated on your hunting and fishing adventures in the outdoor board.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Bruno of NH

Please stay with us on the FF
Hope I can still mill when I'm 80 :)
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

fat olde elf

Hey Pete !  Thanks for sharing your Plan.  I will be 80 on June 22, 2017, a few days  ahead of you. I admire the fact that you have a plan.  I guess I have a plan of sorts. My plan is to keep living one day at a time.  I started that plan 38 years ago and I can't wait until tomorrow.  One of the reasons for continuing to saw is the fact that I can saw all year long by living in the middle of North Carolina.  Another reason is the Forestry Forum and all the great folks here.  I know that you will keep in touch. Don't sell your WM too fast.........Happy New Year !!!!
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

petefrom bearswamp

I really appreciate all the kind comments.
Wife says she will believe it when the mill is out the gate and down the road.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!