iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stair tread and riser sizing

Started by canopy, December 23, 2016, 08:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canopy

I would like to make some 5' wide stairs with 4' span between supports which are block walls. The plan is to notch the tread into the riser so the front and back of the tread are supported all the way across. Below are pictures of the idea. What size stock is sufficient for this (1-1/2" is shown)? Is the notch shown (3/8" deep and placed 3/4" up the riser) ideal? Rise is 7-7/8" per step and total height 9'.

Ljohnsaw

Depends on the wood.  Are you talking oak or pine?  I would be driven more by aesthetics than minimums.  For that span, I would do a minimum of 2" of either wood.  Are you/have you notched the blocks as shown?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

canopy

No work has started on the blocks and I haven't ordered the wood yet. It will be teak which is more comparable to oak. I could go 2", 3" or more thick without any problem. But 12" wide stock in any thickness could be incredibly hard to find and expensive so I would like to build the treads by gluing several narrower boards with splines keying them together if that would be ok.

Heartwood

Add triangular glue blocks underneath every 12" between the tread and riser, and screw the riser from behind into the tread every 12", and glue the dadoes, and you'll be fine with 1-1/2".

Thank You Sponsors!