iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Great day with new mill yesterday

Started by Momatt, December 23, 2016, 10:36:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Momatt

I bought a EZ-Boardwalk 40 last week.  Finally took it to the farm yesterday.  First victory, pulled right through my narrow gate without having to pull a post.  Dozer fired up after sitting outside for months and 28 degree temperatures, used it to lift the trailer up to remove the mill easily and saflely.  Got the new mill set up on blocks and leveled very easy and the extension bolted on.  Had a couple cedar logs already cut that I milled into 1 by 6's for the porch roof for my wife.  Forgot to lower blade guard and sawed the log clamp (good to break it in right).  Since I had only brought one band with me I walked around inventorying potential wood.  Turns out I have way more black walnut than I realized.  Just around the edges of my fields along the creek I have about 25 with 25 foot or so of straight log that measure 50 to 80 inches circumference at breast height.   I have tons of red cedars with circumference of about 40 inches with 12 to 16 foot logs.  I also have a lot of sycamore with 30 foot clear logs about 60 to 80 inch circumference and little taper that I think I will use for siding and framing lumber.  I am in the process of building a 25 by 20 small shed for the tractor and dozer and then will start on a small cabin.  I can't explain how much I enjoy making a cut that would take 10 minutes of hard work sucking exhaust with a chainsaw mill in about 25 seconds effortlessly. 

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Fil-Dill

Congrats on your new mill. Hope you enjoy it. Just an FYI on the Honda engine. I have had a couple times where the electric fuel shutoff plunger would stick in closed position after sitting a few weeks. I am not sure if it is the ethanol in gas or what, but I started using some fuel additive and it seems to help. I also have found gas with no alcohol now, so not sure which has helped, or both.
EZ boardwalk 40

ChugiakTinkerer

Congrats on the new mill, and you have my sympathy on cutting the log stop.

:christmas:
Woodland Mills HM130

PC-Urban-Sawyer

The sycamore would be better quartersawn and used for furniture... otherwise it tends to twist and warp a lot.

Herb

Chuck White

Congratulations and good luck with the new mill, and welcome to the Forestry Forum, Matt!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

jimparamedic

That is great. Enjoy the new saw. Quarter sawn Sycamore is very beautiful.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!