iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Side loader log trucks

Started by ohiowoodchuck, December 22, 2016, 09:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohiowoodchuck

I know this has been talked about before and I researched everything I could find, but I was wondering if anybody still runs one of these. I got myself in a small dilemma. I got away to get my logs out of the woods but I'm kinds stuck at trying to get them loaded. I got a buddy who has a front loader on a 100hp John Deere and another friend with a case backhoe with forks. My problem is I hate relying on somebody else to do something for me. I was hoping somebody on here was still running one and could give me measurements. I know it's old school but there just isn't any money on the budget right now for something with a front end loader. I got a 20,000lb gooseneck which I'm making removal standards for as we speak.
Education is the best defense against the media.

barbender

Another option from bygone days is a cable jammer loader. I've thought about building one for the front of my GN trailer for the same reasons as you listed. I would need to figure out a way to power it with a gas motor.
Too many irons in the fire

longtime lurker

I still ramp load at times... stuff that's too big for the loader to handle, or when there's not enough logs to justify shifting the extra machine in. Can be a bit tough on the truck suspension but it works.

What's a cable jammer?
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

snowstorm

are you talking about the timber tosser? one version of them was built close by. there was a reason they were not used long

warren46

I suggest that you consider a loading arch for the back of your trailer.  You can then load from the back of the trailer.  There are several posts describing a loading arch on the forum.  Just search "loading arch."
Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

ohiowoodchuck

I'm hoping someone here still runs one and can give me measurements and some pictures. I can find a old road worthy f600 for a song around here. I'm not trying to make a fortune, just haul a little here and there.

flyboy16101

I par-buckle logs onto a trailer not the fastest way but it gets the job done. I just use 2 pieces of 2x4 steel tubing with a flange on end to set on the rub rail and a winch with a long power cord that I modified the base on to hook on the rub rail on the opposite side. best part is everything is removable so its never in the way when I haul equipment. I probably am pressing my luck but i use the stake pockets for side stakes instead of having actual log bunks.
Wood-mizer Lt35, International 504 w/ loader, Hough HA Payloader, Stihl Ms290, Ms660, LogRite Cant Hook

Autocar

Just my opinion but instead buying more license plates and insurance invest in a 843 or bigger Bobcat. I use mine to stack logs instead of backing my truck all over the landing to get loaded. Ive moved or stacked every log I have cut sence  I bought mine. Ohio logger has a Bobcat with tracks and he loads semi log trailers and with no problem. With my 843 you have to be careful on 400 ft logs and bigger but it is the cats meow.
Bill

ohiowoodchuck

Quote from: Autocar on December 23, 2016, 04:05:25 PM
Just my opinion but instead buying more license plates and insurance invest in a 843 or bigger Bobcat. I use mine to stack logs instead of backing my truck all over the landing to get loaded. Ive moved or stacked every log I have cut sence  I bought mine. Ohio logger has a Bobcat with tracks and he loads semi log trailers and with no problem. With my 843 you have to be careful on 400 ft logs and bigger but it is the cats meow.
I would like to do that but I don't hav a extra 20k laying around right now.

Autocar

Go to govdeals.com and there's a few deals on there. Ive bought a few things there you bid on the equipment. I saw one here a year ago setting at a farm and it looked like the engine had caught on fire machine it self looked good you may try that angle and get a repareable machine
Bill

nativewolf

Instead of govdeals I would suggest going to RB Auction site (rbauction.com).  You can buy both a skid steer and trailer for not too much.  You have to be able to pay but here is where RB is great (my opinion and I don't have anything to do for them) is that you can research what equipment has sold for in the past.  So you can look at the price of an item, by brand, auction location, equipment manufacture time range, price range, date of auction, etc.  They keep data for 2-3 years so you can also see how things trend.  I wanted to get a telehandler and thought maybe prices would keep falling but I blew it and it is clear that prices of used telehandlers recovered a bit.

Anyway, I'd strongly suggest looking at the site and then attending an auction (they start back up in February and will run almost every week for the year- some will be far too far away.
Liking Walnut

jdeere540a

Sorry I can't help with a timber tosser but I was wondering if anyone still used them and how they worked to. When I started I had a f600 I used to make a brow on the landing l the old timers. Glad I have a truck with loader now lol but I like to hear about different old school methods.

Puffergas

Knew a mill man that used a pig pole and winch on the front of his doodlebug. He liked that over his hydraulic log arm. What ya use in the woods?
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

barbender

barbender

Jammers are just a fixed mast with a jib attached that can pivot side to side. There is a pto powered hoist that runs the cable. Some were factory made, others were shop built with the hoist built from a car differential. One side had a spool attached for the cable, the other side you used the brakes, when you applied the brakes the diff would send the power to the other side and wind in the cable. I've seen them on everything from small crawlers and tractors up to tandem axle trucks.

ronnie tucker

I use a side loader every day. there are still a lot of them in use here in tn.they work  good when using real horsepower with hoofs. they are some around to buy if you want one.

pineywoods

There's pics in my gallery and posts in the logging forum showing how to build your own. Around here, they were called sidewinders.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

ohiowoodchuck

Quote from: ronnie tucker on December 29, 2016, 07:44:15 AM
I use a side loader every day. there are still a lot of them in use here in tn.they work  good when using real horsepower with hoofs. they are some around to buy if you want one.
Where would a feller look at down in the Tennessee area.

bigblue12v

Quote from: ohiowoodchuck on December 29, 2016, 11:17:13 PM
Quote from: ronnie tucker on December 29, 2016, 07:44:15 AM
Where would a feller look at down in the Tennessee area.

Mississippi too far? Found one on Facebook for a thousand down there. You'd have to send him a PM. He didn't list a phone number. I can't post pic of screen shot of ad apparently I'm not allowed to use the gallery here. You can PM me your number on here and I can text it to you.
Lots of junk not enough time.. full time mechanic part time logger, firewood junkie, outside boiler owner, meat smoker enthusiast, fabricator, dad, husband

Thank You Sponsors!