iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

In case you didn't know about old man's beard

Started by SwampDonkey, December 22, 2016, 04:58:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

For years if you had an old hunting camp that needed snow removed like below, and you were in spruce-balsam fir woods where white tail deer might yard up, you would notice lots of deer activity around old windfalls. The deer would strip the dead limbs of a lichen called old man's beard.

My grandfather cleaning one of his hunting camp roofs on Serpentine Lake. That's some snow. ;D

Not only were the old guides, good hunters, they were the best biologists to. Most never wrote books, but they could tell the best stories and probably advertised in hunting magazines. ;D

A link to a few words on natural food plots in northern Michigan.

http://www.compoundbows.com/pages/food-plots/whitetail-food-plots/whitetail-food-plot-leaves-lichens-and-needles
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Grizzly

We don't have a lot of that around in our area, but this looks exactly like the stuff we used for fire starter when fishing on the Churchill River. We needed shore lunch and after gathering a bit of wood we collected up a couple of hatfulls of this stuff and with just the touch of a match we had fire. Same stuff I wonder?

Our deer have good access to grains and grass and we seldom see them browsing on trees. Meats very different from what I harvested in the mountains of BC too.

When I first read the subject I thought you'd be writing about several of the members on here............ :D
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Autocar

It would of been alot of fun to share a camp with those fellows and hear all the storys. Growing up I always enjoyed listening to them telling there tales.
Bill

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

I had forgotten about that thread, but I knew that the topic had come up at some time.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

fishpharmer

Just learned something new! Thanks again forestryforum! 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Thank You Sponsors!