iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cleaning stihl filters with gas?

Started by gman98, December 21, 2016, 06:16:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman98

With the cylinder style stihl air filters like what is on the 362's hold up to being cleaned with gas, or will they deteriorate?

Thanks
Forest technician and part time equipment operator.  Looking to get set up with some logging equipment of my own.

jwade

i blow mine out, from the inside with low presure air. it works very well for me

Ada Shaker

Any reason for wanting to clean with gas????, like oily residue or excessive gunk that just wont blow off????
Most chainsaw parts will hold up to being splashed with gas intended for use with the saw, otherwise we'd be in trouble,  :D.
But your best to blow with a little air and a light tap.
If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

joe_indi

Once the element is soaked (with fuel or water) passage of air is restricted. This is similar to the element of the HD2 filter.
You will find it extremely difficult to blow dry then once they are soaked.
to clean them I soak them with fuel then soapy water. I rinse them with water.
I then use an hot air gun at Low carefully to dry the element partially, to the point air can just about flow through.
After that I blow air through till the element dries completely

lumberjack48

I popped the filter apart, then i took a can of starting fluid and sprayed from the inside out of the filter. After spraying both sides, i'd wave then in the air for about one minute to dry them. The filter comes out like new, i cleaned my filters this way for over 50 yrs, with no issues  :new_year:   
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Texas-Jim

I clean them with carb cleaner then blow them out.
What we do in life echoes through eternity.

Gearbox

A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Ox

Yep, carb cleaner or ether work about the same as a solvent.  Both dry quick and clean, too.  For this matter, I bet acetone would work well too.  Powerful solvent and dries quick and clean as well.  In fact, I bet carb cleaner has acetone in it.  It's got that smell and quick cooling on your skin like it does.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

HolmenTree

Care has to be taken depending what type of filter material you have.
The Stihl flock covered filters were recommended  not to be cleaned with gas or strong solvents.

The adhesive that holds the flock to the screen covering could be softened . Then when high air pressure is blown against it the material can disintegrate.
If you're not sure detergent and warm water will clean any chainsaw air filter.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

chet

I know a guy that sneeks them in his wifes washer when he does a load of his work clothes.  ;D  Works great.
I hope my wife don't see this.  :D :D :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

JohnW

Quote from: Chet on January 05, 2017, 08:08:09 PM
I know a guy that sneeks them in his wifes washer when he does a load of his work clothes.  ;D  Works great.
I hope my wife don't see this.  :D :D :D
Sounds like a guy with a short time to live

Al_Smith

:D I can top that .I know of a fellow who washes dirty parts from chainsaws in the dish washer .You're a braver man than I Gunga Din .

Czech_Made

I put wooden stock parts of my SMLE through dishwasher, came out nice and clean  ;D

ZeroJunk

Quote from: Al_Smith on January 06, 2017, 06:06:32 AM
:D I can top that .I know of a fellow who washes dirty parts from chainsaws in the dish washer .You're a braver man than I Gunga Din .

I wash every cylinder in the dish washer once I get the transfer out of it. Usually case halves as well.

Don't put anything with an old metal tag in there because it will take all the paint off the tag, powdered dish detergent anyway.

Ox

If I tried that, I'm sure I'd have to be protecting certain sensitive areas of my anatomy.  Especially since I have an old parts washer with kerosene in it out in the shop.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

ZeroJunk

My wife has watched me do it and for whatever reason it did not seem to bother her.

But, they are really clean before I put them in there. Not like it is the initial cleaning. Just blasting out anything I may have missed.

btulloh

Don't use acetone even if you think it might get rid of built up pitch.

(don't ask me how I know this)
HM126

HolmenTree

Years ago I was schooled by my wife the dishwasher etiquette  :D

But this what I dig out from under my work bench to clean chain saw parts. I sandblast with ground up walnut shells ...cleans like crazy.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Al_Smith

It's pretty simple,just dump the greasy parts in a bucket full of kerosene and let them pickle for a couple days .If you are really fussy about it a bucket full of hot water with Dawn dish washing soap will get-er done .--I'm not real fussy --- ;D

coxy

Quote from: Al_Smith on January 06, 2017, 06:06:32 AM
I can top that I don't even know how to turn the dish washer or clothes washer on  :o I have to be real nice to my bride  I use either to clean my filters to

eat a peach

I use a cleaner called AWESOME , buy  it at Dollar General 1.00 a bottle! It is a
tremendous degreaser. flocked filters ,it just cuts grease,dirt,oil ,anything. It will
lighten the plastic if you leave it on. I just spray ,let sit for a couple of minutes
and rinse. Really cheap too 1.00 small spray bottle.3.00 for a large(around a gal)
refill.
Stihl 084 AVE
MS 460
MS 200T
MS290
MS260
HT175 POLESAW
MS250
21O,021,MS170
HUSQVARNA  2101XP
385XP,372XP,272XP,268,266,280S,281XP
288XP,257,261,55,346XP, 242XP,140S,41,350