iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pielated woodpecker

Started by warren46, December 20, 2016, 06:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

warren46

I went out to my truck after lunch today and heard someone pounding on a large red oak next to the drive way.  I looked up to see a woodpecker about the size of a crow pounding away on the trunk about forty feet up on the tree.  The bird did quite a bit of damage making a hole about 8" X 4" that must be 4" deep.

Any one know of a way to discourage the bird?
Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

whiskers

many irons in the fire.........

JBlain

My experience is they very seldom attack trees without some underlying quality issues like decay inside.  They test tap a lot and when they hear insects,  they make the classic 4 in oblong hole.  Makes great den trees. 
Josh

thecfarm

As posted must be bugs in that tree.

I have a picture of one. I see the damage they do,but rarely see the bird.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

21incher

I had one of them also. It moved on after it got all the bugs in the wood. :)

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Gearbox

We have a family of them . They feed on the wood pecker block right on the edge of the deck . The only damage I see here is to dead trees . In the spring they will pound on metal to attract a mate .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Den Socling

They are fairly common up here but not this time of year. I'd also recommend to just let them do their thing - hunt bugs. If you find a comfortable spot to watch one in action, it's pretty interesting. Rotten wood flies!

JBlain

It is great watching them work.  Last huntin season, I watched 4 of them eating grapes off a wild grape vine in a big hickory.

Josh

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Den Socling

They should be. They look like pterodactyls!

pineywoods

I read somewhere that their favorite food is the big black carpenter ants we find in pith cracks...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Kbeitz

We had problems at Grizzly Tools with them eating the Bear.
I used sticky traps to discourage them .

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Den Socling

MikeON

This pine log had bugs in it.  Didn't take long for the woodpecker to find them.

Woodmizer LT40HD Super.  WM Single Blade Edger,  John Deere 4310 tractor, M35A2C Deuce and a Half truck

drobertson

Pretty sure we have two separate breeding pairs, they are busy all through fall and early winter, a blast to watch them circle and chase around the trunks,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ljohnsaw

We have a smaller woodpecker out here that plays havoc with the cabins around where I'm building.  Main reason I'm going with Hardie-plank siding ;)

They bore holes in the siding to make nests in the walls.  My neighbors re-sided their place (with Hardie).  Besides the contractor's workers being attacked by yellow jackets, they found some dead wood peckers.  Over the years, previous owners would nail up some sheet metal over holes.  Some wood peckers were trapped in the process.  There were two mummified ones.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Den Socling

"Sure was... Muncy store..."

I loved that store! The greatest on earth for tools and it broke my heart when I saw it closed.  :(

It's hard to believe a woodpecker would go after the treated wood in that bear.

Also, I see they must be up here in the winter. I just don't spend enough time outside to see them.

Savannahdan

I also enjoy watching them chase each other around a tree.  Several years ago had 4 or so flying together around our live oak trees.  I also get the occasional Red Cockaded Woodpecker which next in longleaf pine.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Rural

We have the Pilated, RedBellied, Hairy & Downy woodpeckers here and all but the Pilated come to the suet feeder regularly. They dont seem to damage heathy trees and only rarely go at our board and batten siding presumably because insects are wintering in behind, the pilated sure does a number on dead or dieing basswood though!

Kbeitz

I have no idea what kind we have but some of the larger ones is
I bet 24" from beak to tail.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Bruno of NH

The woodpecker's keep me working all summer at my condo repair contract .
They hammer the 1x8 pine shiplap going at the carpenter ants.
We have them all big,medium and small
They went crazy this year
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

petefrom bearswamp

We have all of the species noted by Rural, but have never seen the Pileated at the suet feeder, or for that matter in the winter here.
Pileated are my favorites.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WV Sawmiller

we have many pileated woodpeckers here on my place and in the area. Locally I think they are called Wood hens. They are one of my favorite birds. They will occasionally light on the ground and hunt in fallen trees and roots. I agree they are not likey doing any damage to healthy trees and they make great dens for many other animals.

In college I did a research paper on the Ivory Billed woodpecker which was thought to be extinct till a few years ago when a bird or two was spotted in a swamp in Arkansas. During the course of the research I found one of the last places Ivory Bills were thought to exist was in Pumpkin Swamp in Dixie County Fla. When I was a kid I remember hunting in Pumpkin Swamp with my grandfather who lived there. Grandpa told us "Them big wood peckers are good eating if you get a shot at one but they aren't near as common as they used to be." So during my research I learned my grandfather and his hunting buddies may have been responsible for the demise of the Ivory billed wood pecker.

Anyway, enjoy your Pileated woodpeckers. We have them, little downy woodpeckers, a few Yellowhammers (Great Northern Flickers) and Redbellied woodpeckers I see from my deer stands and I love them all.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

warren46

The group seems to agree that the peliated wood peckers generally do not attack healthy trees.  This particular red oak is about 60 to 70 feet tall.  There are no dead branches of other signs of decline.  This bird seems to be an exception.  I do not want to lose this tree but nature will run its course.

Warren
Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

Thank You Sponsors!