iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black willow

Started by DanG, December 20, 2016, 01:53:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

Does black willow make decent firewood?  I seem to have unintentionally created a small forest of the stuff next to my house. I borrowed some dirt from elsewhere on my property to fill in the hole where I dug out a large pecan stump a few years ago. They have started rubbing on the house, so they gotta go. Just wondering if it has any bad habits in the fireplace.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

WDH

Very light wood.  A bit less dense than yellow poplar.  It will burn up fast and probably not make many coals.  Would definitely provide some warmth and heat. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DanG

Thanks.  I would have hated cutting and stacking all of it just to find out it stinks or pops.  ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

WDH

I have never burned any myself, so it just might stink and pop. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

gspren

I burnt some "weeping willow" in my owb a few years back, don't know if that's comparable to Black Willow or not. In my opinion it was much less heat than the Tulip Poplar we have and I won't bother with any more Willow, it just wasn't worth the time to cut/split/stack from here on it can rot.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

hedgerow

In our area any willow goes straight to the bush pile. Not worth the time cutting and splitting for firewood.

bill m

Weeping willow stinks when you burn it.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

DanG

Thanks guys. I think I'll just drag it off to the rot pile and let nature deal with it.  ;)

WDH

It burns with no coals.  It probably pops and spits.  It stinks.  However, I hear that it makes good caskets  :)

Magicman

And pretty lumber.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DanG

Wow!  The only thing I'm sure of is that these 3"-4" saplings ain't gonna ever look like that!  :D :D

LeeB

I would be really curious to know how those boards dried. What little I cut never did stop moving. Still have a piece of it and after more than 10 years it still changes shape with every change of the weather.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

DelawhereJoe

Don't they use willow for basket making, you could start your own willow tree farm and sell them to basket makers.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Magicman

Lee, that was all used as wall paneling.  On that sawing trip I saw what I had sawn on the previous trip.  The paneled walls looked very nice. 

He stickered it for a few months and then nailed it up.

I saw quite a bit of Black Willow

And it has all been used as wall paneling.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Roxie

DanG!  I'm very disappointed you'd let any wood go to waste, when you knew dern well all ya gotta do is call yer local Tomato Stakes Forester. 

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,24747.msg353455.html#msg353455

Say when

Thank You Sponsors!