iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Brace Pockets - Drilling Strategy

Started by Rougespear, December 20, 2016, 10:45:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rougespear

When drilling brace pockets, I see some maintaining the 45-degree angle while others just bore the entire mortise to full depth.  Rationale on the latter strategy is the grain has already been severed below, as well as it negating the possibility of a brace not seating in the mortise fully because of a conflict along the 45-degree slope.

What's the strategy?
Custom built Cook's-style hydraulic bandmill.

Dave Shepard

I bore everything full depth unless replicating a scribe rule mortise in restoration.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Rougespear

Dan_Shade

Can you explain what a brace pocket is?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Dan_Shade on December 22, 2016, 11:40:20 AM
Can you explain what a brace pocket is?

A mortise where the brace end tenon goes into. It is commonly called a pocket instead of a mortise.

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Ljohnsaw

Jim,
Nice drawing.  Was this used to explain a problem to someone?  I'm just trying to figure out the gap shown at the blue arrow.  Is that just to point out that a gap there is a, relatively, non-issue?  I get the 5½ line as the "inner" timber and the dotted line on the brace at the red arrow as the true measure point.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Rougespear

From what I have read, the gap at the top is a product of square rule joinery.  The brace pocket is cut large enough to accommodate the widest of brace stock (e.g. 6 3/16" when expecting a nominal 6"), leaving a slight gap with the smaller brace members.  Correct me if I'm wrong...

Jim_Rogers

Yes, there needs to be a place for the variability of the brace timber width. The legs of the triangle as well as the hypotenuse are fixed lines and can't be changed. So the variability has to be on the inside of the triangle.
We make the pocket and the housing larger by at least 1/4" then the length of the brace shoulder so that if the brace timber is oversized as it is rough sawn, then there is some way to compensate for the extra width.
If the stock is wider the brace shoulder length will be longer and if the pocket and housing are cut to the drawing size then the brace will not fit. Doing it longer eliminates the risk of the brace not fitting.

You can size your brace stock and make the pockets perfect if you wish but that is a lot of extra work.

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!