how do you eat your mashed potatoes

Started by coxy, December 20, 2016, 07:10:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

I like them with butter,salt gravy  :D 8) 8)

Raider Bill

Depends...

bare bones mashed gets butter or gravy but never both.

we make what we call kitchen sink mashed that has sour cream, cream cheese, butter, bacon, garlic, parsley and a few other things mixed in. They stand alone, nothing needed.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Magicman

Well not just mashed, but I love my taters 'bout any way that they can be fixed.   They are the "other" white meat  food.  ;D

With green beans and pulled pork

With eggs toast and jam

With catfish and fix'ins

Yup, again

In beef stew

In hambone soup

Pan fried with catfish

Yup, taters seem to go with catfish.   ;D   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

I'm with the MM and think taters are good most any way.

I like plenty of ketchup on my fries/round/nuggets, gravy on my mashed potatoes and the ones cooked with a deer or beef roast, butter on a baked potatoes (actually my least favorite way to eat potatoes), and diced in pot pie and soup.

When I am dining in culturally deprived regions I have even found home fries or hash browns as a marginally acceptable side dish for breakfast but you do need to add ketchup.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ljohnsaw

Whenever possible, Mashed Potatoes are topped with green peas!  That way the peas don't roll off the fork :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

sandsawmill14

x2 those little peas are good but hard to keep up with and the mashed potatoes do help :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Magicman

So you are using your mashed taters as glue??   :o

Actually baked potato is also my least favorite unless it is a baked Sweet Potato.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Magicman on December 20, 2016, 09:55:41 AM
So you are using your mashed taters as glue??   :o

Actually baked potato is also my least favorite unless it is a baked Sweet Potato.   ;)

You bet!  My mashed potatoes (my family calls them award winning ;) ) and peas that are just done enough so they pop when you bite them - mmmmmmm.

The question was "how do you eat your mashed potatoes", so I answered that.  But, I too, prefer baked Sweet Potatoes, followed by regular baked and then fries.  Hash browns are good but are rarely done correctly, not that I can do any better - I tried ONCE :D
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Farmerjw

My wife makes mashed potatoes with thick slices of Velveeta cheese on top of it (in a square glass dish).  Otherwise if corn on the table, like said with peas, cover with corn. 
Premier Bovine Scatologist

Dave Shepard

With a big chunk of meatloaf and some gravy on top.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ox

If there's whole kernel corn, I mix that in with mashed taters and add butter and salt.  If not that, then peas mixed in.  If not either it's either butter and salt or gravy with pepper, but not both. 

Now I'm hungry.  :embarassed:
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

69bronco

With gravy, any leftovers get turned into tater pancakes fried in bacon fat!

coxy

didn't mean to close out the grits post     well ya kind a did  :D :D 8) 8) 8) 8)

sawguy21

Mashed potatoes with lots of gravy, butter runs a close second. Our favorite spuds are the Idaho reds, cut in half, drizzled with olive oil and seasoning salt then baked.  8) We don't peel them. I also really really REALLY like them sliced thin and fried in lots of butter, garlic and onion.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

DanG

What's this? Nobody is putting sugar in their mashed potatoes?  I thought surely everybody would be eating them nekkid with no seasoning, like you all seem to think I should eat my grits. ::) :snowball: :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Texas Ranger

Just like smashed taters, Dang is stirring the pot!!!! smiley_clapping smiley_clapping
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

sandsawmill14

now that these 2 threads are going got me to thinking i have never had grits with mashed potatoes :-\  maybe mm has tried them together and can enlighten us ??? if not i will cook up some and try it strictly for research of course ;D :D :D :D

Jeff

Quote from: coxy on December 20, 2016, 07:10:14 AM

Hardy har-har.  Okay, there is one now. ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sandsawmill14

Quote from: Jeff on December 20, 2016, 03:54:07 PM
Quote from: coxy on December 20, 2016, 07:10:14 AM

Hardy har-har.  Okay, there is one now. ;)

jeff i feel sorry for you having to put up with all us grit eaters ;D and even worse the ones who dont ;D :D :D :D :D

coxy

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on December 20, 2016, 03:44:52 PM
now that these 2 threads are going got me to thinking i have never had grits with mashed potatoes :-\  maybe mm has tried them together and can enlighten us ??? if not i will cook up some and try it strictly for research of course ;D :D :D :D
come one now why did you have to say grits cant we talk about a food with out someone( mostly me :) :))  putting them dang grits with it  :D :D :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) 8) :-X :-X jeff I had to do it

WV Sawmiller

I think the people using MT as glue to hold their peas on are mostly British Trained (No offense - I love the Brits, Aussie, and Canucks they trained) because they are holding their forks upside down.  :) I think proper eating etiquette was the real reason for the war for American independence in 1776 (Just like northern visitors wearing Bermuda shorts, sandals with black socks caused the American dispute starting in 1860 with many names).

We had oven grilled steak and tater tots and boiled corn on the cob for dinner tonight as a quick and easy meal.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

DanG

OKAY, I MOVED IT. ADMIN

(˙ʎlǝʇɐᴉɹdoɹddɐuᴉ pǝʇɐɔol sᴉ ʇᴉ ɟᴉ sᴉɥʇ ǝʌoɯ oʇ ǝǝɹɟ lǝǝɟ 'suᴉɯp∀) ˙sʇᴉɹƃ puɐ ʇsɐoʇ 'sƃƃǝ 'uoɔɐq ƃuᴉʌɐɥ ǝq ll,I
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

thecfarm

I could go for months without eating mashed potatoes.
I know we are not talking french fries,but I really like them. Like them cooked all the way through too. Go to a fair and they always want to serve them things to me half raw. Cook them things,I don't mind the wait.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

21incher

Ain't nothing like fresh dug muck grown potatoes we have where I live. Sweet as can be when first picked before the sugar starts to change to starch. They make the best fries and mashed taters ever. ;D
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: thecfarm on December 20, 2016, 07:46:22 PM
I could go for months without eating mashed potatoes.
I know we are not talking french fries,but I really like them. Like them cooked all the way through too. Go to a fair and they always want to serve them things to me half raw. Cook them things,I don't mind the wait.

We got Chic-fil-A last year.  Their billboards are the 3-D cows painting the bill board to read "Eat mor chikin"  Anyhow, they were mailing out coupons for free food.  My son and I went and were very disappointed in the french fries.  Pale and almost raw in the middle.  OK, new crew, doesn't know the equipment.  When a few months later (with another coupon) and same thing.  Blaaaheeck!  Won't be going back 'cause the Chikin wasn't that good either.
John Sawicky