iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to me c4

Started by furltech, December 19, 2016, 06:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

furltech

Bought myself a new piece of gear today picked up a c4 with a 172 gas engine it seems like a nice little machine dont know much about them, was out looking for a 230 and ran across this and it was in such sweet shape i decided to go another way  8)

tantoy

I did not know c4 came with gas engine but I am new to the Garrett/treefarmer world. Pictures please!
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

millcreek40

I had one 15-20 years ago. It was a great firewood machine. Always started no Matter how cold it was. Had a gearomatic 9 winch. I did break the winch a few times .  Good luck with it
Two 240A Timberjacks, Mack log truck, Multitek 2040 wood processor.

furltech

I will work on the pictures and i hope even with the age of the machine there are still some parts around.Does anyone else know if they came with other winches besides the 9 mine has the 9 but i understand parts for them might be getting tough to get .

Ramicorn

You must have bought it off Wayne did ya?

furltech

I did we just got it home last night .It is a nice little skidder i think .

Ramicorn

He's a real good fella and and pretty fussy about keeping things he owns maintained.

furltech

well she made it through the first day  :D

furltech

On another note it came with the owners and parts manual if anyone ever needs some pages copied

bushmechanic

That's good to know furltech because I picked up a old C4 this summer with plans of making a forwarder out of it. I think you'll like the machine but not the engine :D

47sawdust

bushmechanic,
What are the problems with that engine?I see they were made in both gas and diesel.If a person were to repower,what would you suggest?I'm looking for a small(C4 or Timberjack205)for personal firewood use.The tired iron may be more than I want to tackle ,though.
Thanks,Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

bushmechanic

We never got any good out of those engines, seemed to always have crankshaft problems. My theory is that the basepan's were too shallow and in our rough terrain the engine was starving for oil. The only engine that seemed to stand up here were the 53 series Detroit, they had a deep basepan. Now if I was to repower I would look for a nice Cummins B series 3.9 liter or a John Deere 4045.   

47sawdust

bushmechanic,
Thanks for your reply, your knowledge and experience are appreciated.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

bushmechanic

Were still waiting for the pic's furltech 8)

furltech

Yes right i will get on that ,been busy trying the old girl out and trying to saw enough stuff on the mill in the evenings to fill an order for lobster trap wood.

JustinW_NZ

If you ever scan the parts/owners manual im keen to get my fingers on it if possible?

and welcome to the C4 club!

Drop a pic in if you can so we can see what you got.

Cheers
Justin

My c4 with ford diesel...

Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

furltech

I am trying to talk the wife into scanning the manual some way but am meeting with resistance 8) i will work on it for you though .We run if for three or four days so far, well actually my operator did. i am the chopper, did everything it was supposed to do, so far.I like how easy it starts in the morning .

terry f

My Garrett 15 has the gas engine, great if you're not in a hurry, but still spins the tires when overloaded.

KGTC4D

Davco in Farmington Maine has most anything you want for a Gearmatic 9 or Tree Farmer in general

livemusic

Quote from: furltech on December 31, 2016, 08:57:01 AM
I am trying to talk the wife into scanning the manual some way but am meeting with resistance 8) i will work on it for you though .We run if for three or four days so far, well actually my operator did. i am the chopper, did everything it was supposed to do, so far.I like how easy it starts in the morning .

Do you have a smartphone such as iPhone? Or a tablet such as iPad? There is a scanning app that works great called Tinyscanner. I have tried several scanner apps and this one works the best so far. I can't recall if it cost anything but if so, it wasn't much. They probably make this same app for Android phones.

Also, you might have to cut the spine of the manual so that the individual pages are loose. It wouldn't be as good as leaving it intact as far as using the paper manual, but you could always fasten it somehow and then you would have the .pdf file if you scanned it. Furthermore, this manual may be online anyway if you do a search.
~~~
Bill

furltech

I have both the iphone and ipad i will look into that i really dont want to cut the book apart though.

Farmin logger

I have some parts for the #9 winch and some other C 4 parts

furltech

I would  be interested in your parts farmin where are you located

furltech

bushmechanic

I saw that on kijiji and thought that was in some shape for the year of it. Should be a good machine.

mad murdock

Very nice skidder!  My Garrett 15A has the 172 diesel version of that engine. I have the engine manual if you ever need any info on that. The 172 manual covers both the gas and diesel. I wish I had the 9 winchdrum.  I have the 8A.  Great machines! 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Farmin logger

Furltech, sorry for the slow response. I am located in The Middle Musquodoboit area.

furltech

Well i am not that far away at all. Just the other side of scotsburn.

furltech

ya she is in some shape, so far any damage was caused by me bent one of the roof risers a little and flattened a tire just regular stuff.It is sweet to have a machine fire right up on a cold morning.  8)

chester_tree _farmah

Nice. What type of fairlied is that?
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

bushmechanic

Looks like to me that that machine has her own fairlead but it has been setup for piggybacking wood.

gump

good eye bush! don't see that harvesting method used much anymore! lol.

furltech

yup she was geared up to piggy back but we modified it a little

larry1

Nice looking old girl ! I operated the same machine in the 60's with that gas Ford engine. It had plenty of power and always started real good !  --have fun !

Thank You Sponsors!