iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sis wants a Hypotenuse for Christmas!!

Started by Andy White, December 19, 2016, 12:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy White

Hi Fellas,
It.s been awhile since I was on here. Various medical and other life deals have been going on. Now my sister has had her bathroom remodeled, and she wants me to build a vanity for her. The contractors built her a neo-angled glass walled shower, and she wants the vanity for the other corner. Nothing simple for her! Laid out and cut base and top panels, and framed up all the framing. Cut and installed back and small side panels. She is wanting to use some of the 100+ year old yellow pine from the wall she had removed for the remodel. When our dad bought this house in 1961, he marveled at all the heart pine used in the house. It was built in 1902. So now for the face panels and doors. I am thinking of shaker style raised panels and doors made from the shiplap pine she has. I don't know how she intends to finish it, but I will post pictures of the complete unit before and after finish is installed.   

I can't get her a hippopotamus, so I got her this hypotenuse!! Merry Christmas Sis!!!!! :christmas: :christmas: :christmas: smiley_bouncing_pinky smiley_bounce smiley_smash  Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

69bronco

Your a good brother! Glad your feeling better.

Bill Gaiche

Yes on the good brother. I am sure it will turn out great as usual Andy. bg

Andries

Andy:
There were many women with you at the 2015 Pigroast.
I can'trecall if your sister was there . . .
Your family was a very classy group of Texas at that event, and your sis will no doubt appreciate all of those complicated multiples of compound mitres.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Jeff

I read that twice as My Sister wants a Hippopotamus for Christmas
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Brad_bb

It looks like you used a Yellow pine plywood for your sides and back.  How do you intend to finish this?  This type of plywood can be one of the toughest to finish well.  It tends to blotch very badly even with just oil or clear.   If you've never seen it, watch this video of Charles Neil talking about blotch control.  At 16:25 he talks about and demonstrates that type of plywood.
https://youtu.be/IfCYMdrP8rM
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Andy White

Brad-bb,
The plywood backs will be against the wall, and the small sides and front will be covered by the raised panels. The inside will probably be painted or stained .            Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Magicman

Andy, it is so good to see you come up for air.   :)

Knowing you, the vanity will be superb and Martha will be pleased.  She has a good Brother.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brad_bb

Andy, even painting the inside can be tough as you have to prevent bleed through.  Is advise using either Blotch control, clear shellac, or a good primer(which contains shellac to seal the surface), before painting.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

petefrom bearswamp

Jeff where in the world do you come up with this stuff?
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

thecfarm

I think I just read about her in the paper.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Andy White

Started the vanity project again after Christmas, and have made a little more progress. Measured and cut that old Pine for all rails and stiles for all the panels and doors. Set up both router tables with tongue and groove bits , and formed all the edges and ends. Next was edge gluing panels for all the frame compartments. Used a 1" rabbet bit on the large table to raise the panels  . Sis wanted rustic, so I made them Shaker style. All square edges and no curves or coves. Have everything completed now except for sizing and raising the two door panels. This old Pine is showing about 25 rings per inch, and really pitchey! The shop smells really fresh now. Will finish the case and doors this week, and deliver it to her. More later.       Andy 8) 8)

All this Pine looks like it has been stained already. I guess if I were over 100 years old, I:d look like that too!!!

Magicman

Looking good Andy.  That Pine looks like the wall paneling on the original portion of our Cabin walls.

Well, it actually is the same stuff, old growth Pine.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Martha White Nelson

I laid eyes on my hypotenuse today, and I love it!  Of course, it is way more than I ever expected from 100 year old wood.  Andy added the raised panel and glued everything to perfection.  Guess what?!!  One old board short, so I went out to the pile, and sure enough, I found one more piece about three feet long.  Hope it's enough! I truly have an awesome brother, and I wouldn't trade him for anything!
Martha

Magicman

Quote from: Martha White Nelson on December 27, 2016, 08:08:53 PMI truly have an awesome brother, and I wouldn't trade him for anything!
I agree and he is also an awesome friend.   :)

Martha White Nelson

I agree with you, Lynn.  He is truly an awesome friend, also.  He is such a craftsman to boot!!  I just told him if he could, just to make the vanity rustic looking.  He told me that it would be a piece of furniture when he finished it.  He can take a sows ear and make a silk purse out of it, I swear!  The old ship lap was full of nail holes, knot holes, and wallpaper tacks.  He told me he just cut around them!  Hope his blade is OK.  I'm expecting the delivery any time this morning and getting excited, can't wait!!!!  We will post pictures when it gets here.
Hope you and Pat had a wonderful Christmas with your family.  And, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

Martha

Martha White Nelson

Well, Andy and Nancy brought the vanity this morning shortly after my post.  He also brought our friend, Gerald to help with the install.  It is all, and more than I expected.  It is beautiful, and so much better than the vanities I looked at in the "big name stores".  Thank you, Andy, for your awesome work, thank you, Nancy, for enduring him through this project, and thank you, Gerald for all your help!  Love you all!!

The top will look like the wall behind the vanity when it is done.  Next step, rent the wet saw, and get myself to work!!!

Martha

Andy White

Mart.
I will try to assemble a medicine cabinet and mirror to fit above the top. Also have enough of the old pine to build you a towel bar for the right side wall.   That thing is a lot bigger than I thought.     Andy

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Looks better than any Hippopotamus that I have ever seen.   :D

Martha White Nelson

I finally completed the vanity top, hooked the plumbing up, and now it works!!  I am happy with the way it turned out.  Andy turned old boards into a great piece of furniture.  I know it will last another 100 years, or more! Thank you again, Andy for this beautiful gift!

Martha

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Thats beautiful Martha. Really something not just to be proud of but to brag about too.
Tell the old man he did a good job.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Martha White Nelson

Thank you!  It did turn out well, and I'm happy Andy felt like doing it for me. I wanted "rustic", and that's what he did with the old boards!  Love it!
Martha

Thank You Sponsors!