iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Beginner Questions

Started by BlaBla, November 28, 2004, 03:02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlaBla

I'm going to be cutting small logs (up to about 10'') into pieces of firewood. I don't have any sawbucks to hold these off the ground. How can I buck logs on the ground without hitting the ground? How do professionals buck sawlogs on the ground?

Also I'm not sure if my chainsaw is oiling correctly. I held it over a light stump and wasn't sure if oil was falling onto the stump. Should the oil coming off the saw be VERY visible? There is a light layer of oil between the chain and the bar.

If it's not oiling correctly, how can I fix this? How much $$? ::) it's a Stihl 011 AVQ
Thanks

Ianab

Hi Blabla

The newer saws dont seem to throw as much oil as the older ones, it's not allways obvious. One thing to check is that the oil IS actually being used from the oil tank. It should use more than 1/2 the oil during each tank of gas. So long as the oil is being pumped out of the tank and not leaking out the bottom of the saw it's reasonable to assume it's going onto the bar and doing it's job.
If the oil isn't being used up then first thing to check is that the oil channel in the bar and bar mount on the saw is all clean. They can fill up with compacted sawdust and block the oil flow.
After that.. well somethings broken or clogged up inside... check the easy things first  ;)

One trick you can use with the small logs on the ground is to cut 90% of the way through each cut, then roll the log over 180 deg and cut the last inch from the top. You might need to make a couple of carefull cuts to break the log into managable pieces, but that should help keep the tip of your saw out of the dirt. Having something like a "logrite' log handling stick makes life easier as well.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

pallis

You can take some of your cut logs, and lay the logs you're cutting over them.  After you make a few cuts,  shut the saw off; lift up the chain, and make sure you are getting oil on the teeth and in the bar groove.  I try to adjust the oiler to the point where I have a little oil left when the fuel runs out, using as much oil as possible, but not enough to run the oil out while there is still fuel in the tank.  Every cord or two, turn the bar over.  Make sure your bar is clean, and fitting flush and tight against the oil groove.  I don't know how other people do it, but this works for me.

SasquatchMan

I like to run my saw above a piece of plywood, or a fresh cut log end, just to see if there is oil being sprayed off the bottom of the tip of the bar.  Just hold the saw above something clean, and rev it up.  You won't get a puddle, but you should see a definite line of oiliness directly under the bar.

Out in the woods, I cut about 4/5ths of the log, then roll it.  The other way to do it is to throw logs in the truck and have a partner hold them while you buck toward the truck.  Don't be silly and try to cut real short logs with your buddy's hands close to your chain.  
Senior Member?  That's funny.

Thank You Sponsors!