iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 359 won't idle

Started by caveman, December 17, 2016, 06:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

I have a Husqvarna 359 that a friend gave me several years ago.  It has been a great saw but it has recently gotten where it will not idle and floods easily on the restart.  What steps should I take to get this saw back into operational form?  It is frustrating to have a saw that stalls when the throttle is released.  Otherwise, this saw performs well for what it is.  Thanks.
Caveman

sawguy21

Does it have the plastic clamp on the intake boot? If so, replace it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

caveman

Thanks Sawguy, I will try to make time to check it tomorrow. So far I have only adjusted the carburetor but it just idles a few seconds and dies then is reluctant to start right back up.
Caveman

Crow99

In a saw that's several years old, especially one that has sat for a while, it is likely that the metering diaphragm in the carburetor has stiffened up and perhaps expanded or stretched a little too. What happens is that it doesn't spring back and instead stays in contact with the fuel needle lever. This means that the gas flows constantly... too much at idle and floods when you try to start.
Get a kit and rebuild the carbueretor. 359's became notorious for problems with their Walbro carbs several years ago, but this sounds more like just a standard carbueretor problem that can happen with anything as it ages.  I've encountered this a couple of times, and a new metering diaphragm seems to cure it.

caveman

I still have not gotten time to look at it since posting.  A carburetor rebuild kit would be a cheap place to start.  I rebuilt a 350's carburetor a few years ago at work and it has run well ever since.  Maybe tomorrow I will have time to look at it and even order a kit.
Thanks
Caveman

NCFarmboy

K24-HDA is kit for carb.  Also drill 1/8" hole in cover that has 4 screws in it.  The kit and the hole is the repair for 99% of these carbs.  It's rarely the acc. pump.
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

caveman

Thanks for the advice on the carburetor rebuild and part number.  I have a few more questions.
1.  Are the rebuild kits from China okay- they are several dollars less than the ones from UK?
2.  Is the Zama carb a direct replacement for the Walbro, they can be bought for less than $20.
3.  Would it be better to rebuild the Walbro or replace with Zama?

Caveman

Crow99

I would visit the local Husqvarna dealer for the parts.  You've got a saw that would cost maybe $600  to replace with a new equivalent,  and cheaping out on parts to save a very few bucks just makes no sense at all to me.

caveman

The local Husqvarna dealer works mainly on golf carts and lawn mowers.  Crow, I'm not cheap, I'm frugal.  I do not mind spending the money to buy the parts to make it run. 

With help/guidance from the folks on the forum I should be able to replace the carb or rebuild it.  We have been nursing this saw along for awhile now.  A year or so ago I was going to replace it with a new 372 but most of what I have heard about them says they are not the same animal as the older 372's. 

Basically, should I buy a rebuild kit for the Walbro or replace it with a Zama?  From what I have read tonight, the Zama should be a direct replacement.  The new carb, intake boot and metal clamp can be delivered to my door for about $30.

Thanks for suggestions/guidance.
Caveman

dougand3

I'd just get a Zama clone carb and put on the saw. Direct fit. I've used 50+ clone (aftermarket) carbs and only had 1 that I couldn't get tuned in.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

Crow99

Ok, I stand corrected. My local dealer happens to be very good about saws and has the parts.  I should realize they aren't all like that.

caveman

Thank you men.  I order a Zama this morning, the intake plastic piece and a new clamp.  They should arrive next week.  If it straightens out the way it idles and still runs well in the cut I will be pleased.

Crow, on your advice I did locate another Husqvarna dealer on the other side of town.  I may check him out sometime when I am over that way.  I would rather drop a hammer on my big toe than drive across town most days.
Caveman

caveman

Quote from: sawguy21 on December 17, 2016, 07:36:44 PM
Does it have the plastic clamp on the intake boot? If so, replace it.
It does have the plastic clamp and I ordered a metal clamp and also a new intake boot.  I did not see an easy way to install this part so we put the Zama carb on and cut with it.  It did idle much better.  Do you have to pull the cylinder to install the intake?

Caveman

NCFarmboy

Pull the cyl. lot easier than fighting it.  You can reuse cyl gasket.  I do all the time.
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

caveman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-enIsldqko
The first video is with the Walboro carb.
The second video is with the new Zama carb.  It started easily and idled well.  I think that I will pull the cylinder off and replace the intake boot and use the metal clamp. 

Is there anything in particular that I should do before besides cleaning the outside well?  If you noticed the clothes the kids who were walking up near the end of the second video it will give an idea of the recent weather, 87° and humid but it is supposed to dip down into the 30°'s Saturday a.m.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyFseXLP6gI

Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!