iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making rough sawn texture on planed wood with the mill

Started by Brad_bb, December 17, 2016, 03:32:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

So when doing some heavy timbered stairs recently, Ben at Moresun Custom Woodworking Textured the thick white oak treads.  Came out looking great, but I had to come up with the boards for the landing.  He had told me how he did the texturing, so I tried it on my band mill and it came out just like his.
Here are the stairs.

Here's a vid of how it's done.
https://youtu.be/yX_mXkwUskM

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

WLC

Really neat. I like how the finished product looks.  I assume they were sanded back down some to knock the rough edges off.  I watched the video, but had to watch with the sound down so may have missed it, but why a new sharp blade and not a dull blade if you are bending a tooth down?
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

Brad_bb

Well, I tried the first time with a blade that needed changing.  The marks didn't come out sharp and consistent.  I'm assuming you need the sharp edges on the tip.  I then used a new band and worked great.

It does not take much sanding on the white oak.  You're basically just removing the slivers created by the scored grooves.  The process doesn't rough up the whole face, just the groove that is cut.  So the sanding is real quick.

WLC

Thanks Brad, Gonna file this away in the memory bank of tricks to try.  I like the look that it gives.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

paul case

The EZ boardwalk sawmills make marks like that when the board is against the backstops.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Larch

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Brad_bb

Thanks.  The texture of the marks on the treads are far nicer than just plain planed wood.  This stair design was based on a barn that was converted to a restaurant in Indianapolis.  Here are their stairs that lead from the downstairs store up to the restaurant.

fishfighter

Looks good. Did you charge for the blade? :D Looks like a metal hit. :D

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

4x4American

Instead of making three passes, why not just bend 3 teeth down?

The stairs look great btw
Boy, back in my day..

thecfarm

Not that it matters inside so much,but outside would keep the steps from being so slick with rain on them.
I like the look and the design of the stairs. Good job. They have that beefy look.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Brad_bb

4x4American, No, I did not make 3 passes on a stair tread, ONLY 1 pass.  I showed you three different times on 3 different boards.  You need only bend 1 tooth.  More than one and I think it will look messy with way too many marks.

4x4American

Ahh, I see, I see said the blind man to his deaf son as he whizzed into the wind, it's all coming back to me...
Boy, back in my day..

brianb88

Measure twice, cut once

azmtnman

smiley_thumbsup
You make a living with your mill, right?
I think it's cool to see people making a living with more basic equipment--working for themselves instead of some banker.
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

Brad_bb

azmtnman, nope.  So far I've only milled wood for myself.    I'm building/planning to build and making materials for that.  After I'm done, I'll mill and sell as I feel like.

Thank You Sponsors!