iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Echo CS352

Started by JohnG28, December 17, 2016, 09:56:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnG28

Hi everyone, and happy holidays. I'm looking for some reviews on the Echo CS 352 from anyone who may have one. Looking for a saw for my dad for Christmas. He wants something small, light and easy to start/reliable. Also looking to get a good bang for my buck, which is what got me looking at the Echo. I haven't owned any of their OPE, but have followed the good reviews on a lot of their products here and elsewhere, so figured I'd see if anyone has much experience with this model? He won't use it all that much, mostly just for the occasional branch here or there around the yard or some campfire logs around the camp up north. He's not a really saw guy and hasn't run a saw much in a long time and if the job was big or difficult he knows I have the saws and experience to take care of them. I like that the 352 has a purge primer, a feature he likes on his leaf blower and snowblower for quick starting without yanking the rope 100 times. I know it's just a cheaper clamshell design, but I doubt this will see more than an hour or two and year of use, so I'm not terribly worried about it being overused for its intended purpose. I'd be interested in any issues people have had with them, if any. Also, I understand that Echos tend to come tuned pretty lean. Would it be a good idea to pull the caps and retune out of the box or just open up the H side as much as possible with limiters and run it as is? The 5 year warranty is pretty nice, so I don't really want to kill that if I don't have to. Any other info is greatly appreciated as well! Thanks everyone!  :)
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

HolmenTree

I can't decide that for you. But what a really nice Christmas gift is a new saw in it's own carry case with a spare chain and a toque or ball cap.

These things are usually thrown in for free with some of the big name saw companies.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

ladylake

I have a couple of those that I use around the mill for cutting up slabs and trimming boards, start great, light and good power with tuning and opening up the muff.  For sure pull the limiter caps and tune right, I bought a couple off Ebay that were so lean they wouldn't even rev up, also on the high start way rich then gradually back in until it cuts the fastest in bigger wood.  Without the muff opened up not the best power but they really cut for 33cc with a muff modd.  Don't worry about them being a clamshell , easy to work on and built fairy well for a really light saw. Most important to keep them running good is the gas, either get non ethanol  or maybe for limited use that canned gas, you could run ethanol gas if you used it at least weekly and had it tuned for ethanol. teve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

DDW_OR

we have the echo 310, works great, $180, Dry Weight is the same as the Echo CS352
the 310 is my go-to saw
"let the machines do the work"

Massey Man

I have 2 Echo's...a 45cc and a 50cc.... little bigger than the model your looking at.
One of those is about 10 years old...never had any trouble with them.
I own a 36 acres woodlot that I maintain and cut around 15 face cords of wood for heating.
Very good reliable saws...you made a good choice !

JohnG28

Thanks for the replies and info guys. Picked one up tonight. Had to at least pry into the box and get a feel for it. This thing is light as could be! If it cuts even halfway decent it should be a nice little saw for dad, he won't have any crazy expectations of it so I think it will work well around the yard when he needs it. Gonna wrap it back up in the box for now and tune it after Christmas when I can get a chance to run it. I do really want to give it a test out back before I wrap it up, but I don't suppose a saw full of chips would be so nice under the tree!  :D Thanks again, happy holidays!
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

ladylake

Be careful John, if you muff modd that saw you might steal it from your Dad   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

DDW_OR

Your dad will also be anxious to try it out, so have some test logs ready
"let the machines do the work"

Savannahdan

I also have the Echo 310 and love it.  It has done what I've asked of it.  For the bigger or heavier stuff I fire up the Makita DCS 7901.  I would think your Dad would enjoy it.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Fishnuts2

I think you've made a good choice too.  I have a 352 and two 310's and they all start easily and perform well for their size.  I have mine with the mufflers modded, but I think the best thing to do is pulling the caps on the carb and making sure it is tuned properly.  As mentioned before they tend to come from the factory really lean.  You don't have to actually ruin the caps to get them off, and once you get it set they can be popped back on.

Also, you shouldn't yank on the starter cord, just a steady, deliberate pull will get them going.  That is an advantage for your Dad too.

Oh, and one more thing to add.  Get him a couple of quarts of TruFuel or the Echo canned premix at 40-1.  If he only uses the saw occasionally this is the only way to go.  A quart of that stuff in a 352 will cut a truck full of wood easily, so it doesn't take much.

Merry Christmas!

HolmenTree

I agree on the canned premixed fuel. Great value for the homeowner cutter.
Even after the can is opened the fuel still has a 2 year shelf life.
I don't know if that holds true for the Echo fuel, but that's what my Stihl and Husqvarna brand claim.

I got this Husqvarna blower here that would only run on Stihl or Husqvarna mix when it's below 30°below.

JohnG28

We have ethanol free high test gas available here and I have instilled the importance of using it into his head over the last few years.  After some issues with our boat and an old line trimmer he had due to ethanol in the gas he has gone to ethanol free for all of his OPE and the boat.  He has that same leaf blower you have there HT and uses it pretty regularly and mixes his own gas for it, no issues since switching to the ethanol free gas.  I also got him using the blue Stabil to help keep gas fresh too.  As for the saw, does this model has a catalytic muffler?  I was trying to figure that before I think of doing a muffler mod, don't really want to get into that nasty stuff if I can help it.  I have a feeling that once I tune this saw right and set it up for him that it'll be all he wants and then some though, so a MM may be overkill anyway.  Going to keep the limit caps intact when I get to pulling them, will tune it right then pop them back in so that it won't have any appearance of tampering and keep the warranty intact, hopefully.  Thanks again for the info, looking forward to giving this little guy a try!  :)

HolmenTree

John, for what your Dad needs that saw for I wouldn't  bother with the muffler mod.
  Muffler mod saw only burns more fuel quicker and takes longer to warm up.and making them cold blooded beween  restarts.
Neighbors won't appreciate the noise either.

On the subject of carb limiter caps. Leave them be, I have no experience with Echo but I can't see where the factory would  not leave enough adjustment to richened them up.

ladylake

I have a lot of experience with 352 Echo saws
It is a must to pull the limiter caps and tune right, most come lean due to the EPA, not Echo
On the CS352 a good muff modd will increase cutting speed about 30% as they come with a clogged up muff compared to some other brands which use strato charging to keep emission down, again due to the EPA
Muff modded or not Echo saws sip fuel and are the best starting saw made when tuned right, if you leave the limiter caps on and the low is lean they can be a bear to start cold as with any saw.
Yes they make more noise muff modded, I wear muffs all the time but if you have close neighbors consider that. If your sawing with other people and they complain they really need to wear muffs when running any saw.
Again, the factory sends them out burn up lean withy the adjusters turned out tight against the limiter caps, make sure to pull them and tune right.  You might by with the factory settings if your at high elevation 5000 ft or more which requires less fuel.  Steve

Carson-saws

Echos are nice indeed.  Use them as "ground saws" and never hesitate gettin the job done.
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

HolmenTree

Quote from: ladylake on December 21, 2016, 04:59:00 AM

Again, the factory sends them out burn up lean withy the adjusters turned out tight against the limiter caps, make sure to pull them and tune right.   Steve
Come on Steve are we missing something here?
Are you telling us Echo stays in business by sending out EPA regulated leaned out saws to only burn up...... and still offer a 5 year warranty?

DelawhereJoe

All they have to say is mix was off and its not there problem....not a manufacturer defect.....theres ways around everything.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

HolmenTree

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on December 21, 2016, 02:14:10 PM
All they have to say is mix was off and its not there problem....not a manufacturer defect.....theres ways around everything.
Doesn't make sense Joe :)
I think if all these burnt up saws coming back to the dealer only to be refused.... and Echo still stays in business to sell more? :D

DelawhereJoe

Thats why they sell them at the home depot you just go buy another one...you can even get the cs-800p with a 24" bar from them online. They used to sell it with up to a 36" but they stopped selling those.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

ladylake

Quote from: HolmenTree on December 21, 2016, 01:48:49 PM
Quote from: ladylake on December 21, 2016, 04:59:00 AM

Again, the factory sends them out burn up lean withy the adjusters turned out tight against the limiter caps, make sure to pull them and tune right.   Steve
Come on Steve are we missing something here?
Are you telling us Echo stays in business by sending out EPA regulated leaned out saws to only burn up...... and still offer a 5 year warranty?

I've bought  several off Ebay with scored pistons that still had the limiter caps on opened up far as they would go.  If you do some checking lean tuning is not a Echo only problem, the new auto tune saws are having over heating problems in warm weather thanks to borderline lean tuning to keep the EPA happy.  I think Echo is counting on dealers or anyone that buys a Echo saw to retune them for fuel, altitude and temperature, .  but the big box store ones sold to some one with no knowledge are the ones that get burnt up in the first long hard cut and some get by as they never make a long hard cut.   No matter with tuning and a muff mod they run great. Steve

CR888

I have bought a few new echo saws and they have not been really lean from the factory. I know many claim this but it has not been my experience. Yes I do remove limters to allow more flexibility with tuning but my CS-550p (bought out of US) I actually leaned it out after removing limiters as it would four stroke right the way through a cut. My Yamabiko made Makita 231t's (I have 2) are fixed jet barrel slide carbs that I would love to lean out a little, the are well tuned but slightly on the rich side. I think when folks read stuff it becomes gospel fast and is not always completely true or the whole story. The 562xp's suffer heat soil issues indeed but this is not related what so ever to EPA approved carbs. They are not dangerously at all. The heat soak problems are to do with design not component failure or EPA influence. The EPA gets blamed for a lot, but without them the modern saw would not evolve as fast and in the way it has. No one thanks them for strato tech, fuel efficient saws with more power do they...

ladylake

The CS550 is Echo's only strato saw and not liked by many.
You can bet if the 562 had a little more fuel in the hot weather they wouldn't heat up as much..   Steve

CR888

The heat soak issue begins when the saw is shut down. Keeping them running or only shutting them down briefly for refueling is the key. While running the fuel/cooling system keeps them at very safe operating temperature. I know the 550p ain't the most popular echo saw, I just bought it as it was BNIB at a very cheap price. The problem the saw has is its bulk/power to weight. Despite being a pro saw its the size/weight of a 70cc saw with a 55cc displacement. The 'possible' good news is as its a 5series echo, I am pretty sure its the same saw as the 590 with a smaller P/C. I've yet to 100% confirm this but possibly a 590 or 620 cylinder could be a direct bolt on. I've had it 3 years & only run 3 tanks through it, I have plenty of better work saw options like ported MS261, stock 550xp/555, dolmar 6400, Solo 681 & many more so until its performance can match its size its hard to take to work when other saws surround it. I will say its well made, runs well, is smooth and decent power for 55cc, just too big for 55cc. Its a 1k saw where I come from, but so is the 590.

Thank You Sponsors!