iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Water in mixed gas?

Started by gman98, December 15, 2016, 01:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman98

So the other day I was cutting in the snow.  I had my gas cab sitting on the tailgate of my truck with the spout out.  Without thinking, I packed everything up and put the spout back into the cab with melted snow all over the spout.  Will that amount of water in a one gallon can of mixed gas make a difference?

Thanks
Forest technician and part time equipment operator.  Looking to get set up with some logging equipment of my own.

John Mc

If it's ethanol gas (E10) small amounts of water will mix in to the gas. Too much, and the water-ethanol will separate from the gas and settle out if you let it sit for a while (you can see it if you pour it into a clear container). Water will generally settle right out of straight gas (what little does not will pass right through the engine without a problem). You can see that in a clear container as well: it looks like a bubble that sinks instead of floating.

If you are careful, you can pour off most of the good gas (or grain the water off the bottom if you have a container that will do that). Then just get rid of that bit of water contaminated gas.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

bluthum

I'd just be guessing if I answered your question but if you want to seperate the water out let it freeze then decant the fuel into another container. You could strain out the ice or just watch to see it doesn't go out with the fuel.

DDW_OR

i think the water will be on the bottom of the gas can.
I like bluthum's idea to freeze
may have to add some additive like HEET® to deal with the leftover water in the gas.

second option is to get a filter that blocks water, like Goldenrod
i used a 5 gallon bucket with a pump in the lid, then to a Goldenrod water-block filter, then to an empty 5 gallon gas can.

can post photos and parts list if interested.
"let the machines do the work"

John Mc

Quote from: DDW_OR on December 15, 2016, 01:41:59 PM
i think the water will be on the bottom of the gas can.
Yes, water sinks in gas.

QuoteI like bluthum's idea to freeze

If the gas had ethanol in it, much of that is probably now mixed with the water sitting on the bottom. The ethanol acts as an anti-freeze, so you'll have to get it really cold to freeze it.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

gman98

Would I be best off to dump out the can and mix a fresh batch?

Thanks
Forest technician and part time equipment operator.  Looking to get set up with some logging equipment of my own.

John Mc

You should be able to carefully pour off most of the good stuff, and just ditch the last bit.

Remember also, what looks like a lot of snow doesn't generally amount to that much water. When the temperature is around 30˚F, one inch of liquid precipitation will fall as 10 inches of snow. It may have been a bit compacted on your spout, but it still probably looked much worse than it was.

Can you see a little "bubble" of water on the bottom of your tank if you look down in with a flashlight?

gman98

I will look later on.  It was melted snow, just drops of water on the spout.

Thanks

DDW_OR

one gallon of gas + oil = about $3
is it worth it?

"let the machines do the work"

barton174

Quote from: DDW_OR on December 15, 2016, 03:52:16 PM
one gallon of gas + oil = about $3
is it worth it?

Exactly! Debating trying to save $5 for something that may or may not destroy a several hundred dollar saw. I don't even chance it.

Mike
Jonsered 490 - Stock
Echo CS-330MX4 - Mufmod + tuned
Husky 371XP - '99 model, Ported + Mufmod + tuned
Husky 550XP - Stock
Jonsered 2166 - "farmer jones"
Husky 365XT - "farmer Jones"
Husky 555 - Stock for now

DelawhereJoe

I think i recall seeing in the camping section of walmart with the camp stoves a small filter funnel that would separate out water from the coleman fuel.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Ox

They make funnels that strain water and dirt out of the fuel using a mesh membrane of some sort.  It works awesome!  It's like magic.  Worth every penny, around $30 if I remember right.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

barton174

I'd be a little worried those filters would also filter the oil out of the fuel, depending on the oil...

Mike
Jonsered 490 - Stock
Echo CS-330MX4 - Mufmod + tuned
Husky 371XP - '99 model, Ported + Mufmod + tuned
Husky 550XP - Stock
Jonsered 2166 - "farmer jones"
Husky 365XT - "farmer Jones"
Husky 555 - Stock for now

gman98

Shined a light in the tank of gas today.  Didn't see any ice, but there was white specks floating all through it.  I don't know if they were that color because of the led light or what.  What's you guys opinions?

Thanks

luvmexfood

Get some wood and mix some of the gas with either some diesel fuel or old motor oil. Pour it on the wood and light it. After the fire is going good break out the marshmallows  :D. In other words, if you use it you will do so wondering if it is damaging your saw. Peace of mind for less than 3 bucks plus the cost of a bag of marshmallows.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Thank You Sponsors!