iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got a mill today

Started by Momatt, December 14, 2016, 09:30:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Momatt

I went to ez boardwalk today to look at thier mills.  I ran the jr they had set up as a demo.  It peeled boards off a log cant pretty handily.  Considered buying one, but ended up goin with a model 40.  I had them swap the engine out from a 24 horse to a 28, got the trailer package and a four foot extension and pulled it home.  I am excited to finally own a proper sawmill.  I got a grandberg Alaskan for my 394xp husky quite a few years ago.  I liked the wood and made a lot of furniture but it was no fun at all.  I think I will enjoy running this mill.  I have a barn and a cabin to build at my farm, itching to get started. 

Klicker

2006 LT 40 HD

paul case

Congratulations on the new purchase.

Where in MO are you Matt?

I had one of those EZmdl40  and LOVED it. Sawed out a house and made a living with it for 3 years!

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

ChugiakTinkerer

Woodland Mills HM130

Momatt

Paul, my farm is near fulton, central mo. 

redbeard

congrats on your new venture!
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

mad murdock

Congratulations on the new mill!! Early Christmas present this year 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

sawmilljoe

Congratulations an early Christmas present.

47sawdust

Good going,nothing like that first sawmill and I believe you made a good choice.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

fishfighter

Congrats and watch those back stops. :D

paul case

I am over here in the north east corner of Oklahoma. I bet you are some closer to EZ boardwalk HQ than I am. I had them bring my mill with them to the Ozark Fall Farmfest in Springfield, MO so I could pick it up there. I had seen 2 others in operation before I ordered mine, one just 5 miles from home! I would have bought the fair demonstrator model for a bit less but he already had it sold, even before the show. :-\

In my opinion and experience, those boardwalk mills are built heavy and put up with the strain of heavy logs real well. I see years and hours of trouble free service in your future!

PC
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

thecfarm

There will be no thinking about how much you will enjoy it!!!  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

scully

Like trading in a club for a light saber ! Welcome . May your lumber piles be huge !
I bleed orange  .

dean herring

Congratulations on your new mill
We need pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

justallan1

Congrats on the new mill, I have the Jr and really like it.
You mentioned that you pulled it home, how did it handle going down the road. Although totally unfounded, my mill being top heavy is the one thing that concerns me. Quite possibly I'm just over cautious.

Momatt

Thanks All.  I am excited.  It pulled very nice.  I was concerned about those little wheels and took it easy, but before I knew it I was driving 65 and it was following like a shadow. I bought the magnet lights for $50. 

I was dealing with Stanton's Son.  He does most of the final assembly of the mills and was a nice kid.  They swapped the motor for me while I waited from a 660 to a 690 Honda and so I got to hang out in the factory for a hour or so and watch them work.  I was going to take some pictures of the factory to share, but I don't know how to post a picture and wasn't sure they appreciate that.  You hear them being talked about as Amish, but I don't think they are.  They had a full modern shop with a big hydraulic shear and hydraulic bandsaw and wire welders.  The young men who are the workers were wearing overalls and had the Abe Lincoln looking beards but were using electric stuff.  I think they were speaking a foreign language to eachother but could have been I spent too much time shooting guns and around diesel engines and cant hear anyway.  Seem like good people.  There are some neat features like the clutch lube and throttle engage with one throw of one lever.  Extra things are welded to the log bunks to use as fulcrums for your cant hook for sliding the cant against the stops.  One of the bunks is moveable if you have a short log.  Has a winch log loader/turner.  I am impressed with the bearing used.  Carlton did a nice job carefully dialing in the three engine speeds with a tachometer to the factory specs.   

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: scully on December 15, 2016, 08:58:05 AM
Like trading in a club for a light saber ! Welcome . May your lumber piles be huge !
May the Forest be with you!
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

paul case

Now you have one up on me. I have never been to their place.
I think they may be Mennonite, but I am not sure. I dealt with the previous owner, Ed Zimmerman. Maybe he branded this mill with his initials? He also farmed, so we had a lot in common right off the bat. I even took logs to a show near me a time or 2 for him. Good people.

I loaded mine on the back of my 1 ton pickup with the deweze style bale loader on my 1 ton pickup and hauled it home from springfield hanging by the bale bed arms extended out the back. We planned to do this so Ed welded extra bolt downs on the track so we could haul it with the head all the way to one end of the track(all on the pickup bed). I am glad to hear that you made the trip well and had no trouble with the mill setup.

Look my gallery over and you may find some pics of me using vice grips to keep some short logs on end from sliding off the bunks(one of them being the moveable bunk) while cutting cookies for Bill.

Feel free to look over my gallery. I have lots of pics of my mill and the mods I made to it. Click on the Icons under my name that says profile then go down that page to visit my gallery and that should take you there.

PC
pc

Chuck White

Congratulations on the new mill, Matt!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Fil-Dill

They are Mennonite. Edwards dad started a welding shop. Edward moved to the north and was in dairy. Built the first mill to fix up dairy barn and then sold. Business took off from there. If I am not mistaken, Edward has taken over EZ jr model and son has taken over 40 size. I bought my jr from him and made a deal with him to demo at swap meet close to home and then I picked it up there. He threw in some blades for letting him demo first. Later I traded up to 40 size at his place of business. His son-in-law sharpens my blades for me and also works in shop with them.
EZ boardwalk 40

Thank You Sponsors!