iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hauling roof steel

Started by Jeff, December 14, 2016, 12:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I'm going to use pole barn steel on the ceiling in my pole barn. I plan on using 20' sheets.  I have a 14ft flatbed. Do you guys think it will be okay to haul without damage, a stack of 20 sheets on my trailer considering there will be a 6' overhang?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Grizzly

If it's profiled roofing steel it should come on it's own pallet which would support it just fine for transport. Without that pallet I'd buy a couple of 2x4's to lay underneath as support.

Lyle
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Czech_Made

Any chance you can have it hang 3 feet on each end?

Could the store deliver?

We were getting 14 footers for our club and the store delivered it for 15 bucks, well worth it.

Raider Bill

Lot of weight hanging off the back. How far do you have to haul it?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Bricklayer51

Jeff last nite I got a full bunk of 1/2 inch osb for 469.00 78 sheets he still had two left it was on cl northern mi materials.

Chuck White

Quote from: Czech_Made on December 14, 2016, 12:25:32 PM
Any chance you can have it hang 3 feet on each end?

Could the store deliver?

We were getting 14 footers for our club and the store delivered it for 15 bucks, well worth it.

I agree, if you can slide the steel forward 3 feet, it will make a huge difference!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jeff

Quote from: Bricklayer51 on December 14, 2016, 02:07:42 PM
Jeff last nite I got a full bunk of 1/2 inch osb for 469.00 78 sheets he still had two left it was on cl northern mi materials.

Steel screws and channel will run a little over $750   Prefinished, light, easy to install on a ten foot ceiling. Reflects light well and easy to clean.  I think a much better choice than OSB. 

I have to haul it about 20 miles. I could probably let it hang over the front of the trailer since its only 3 foot wide.

dlucas0304

I just hauled some 12 footers in a 6.5 foot truck bed, with the tailgate down.  Left about 3.5' hanging out the rear end and it was only 5 or 6 sheets. 

I slide 2x6's (10 footers) underneath it to give some rigidity, and the yard had bound all the sheets together anyhow.  Rode fine for about 15 miles at ~40 mph average.

Give it some support and take it easy and they'll ride fine with a little hang-over.
Just a land-owner looking to be my own forester.

Kbeitz

Just don't let that trailer get to fishtailing...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Corley5

Did you ask about delivery ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

gspren

I'll loan you a 20' trailer but it's about 700+ mile drive to come and get it. :D
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

thecfarm

I made a frame in a 8 foot truck bed. I needed 12½ foot steel. I used 2 small trees,4 inches across and nailed a 2x4 on each end. I tied the frame in,I think,than I tied the steel roofing to the frame. I was afraid if I hit a bump that steel might bounce and bend. Seem like I had about 16 sheets.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

whiskers

around here you'd need a flag. three vice grip clamps spaced across either end of the stack will add to the rigidity, one could hold the flag. concrete blocks to increase tongue weight if needed. tail heavy trailers can self unload. i know a fellow that lost a load of 2xs on a 4 lane, fortunately no damage, he was just embarrassed. some steel workers helped me reload it correctly. i hate being late.
many irons in the fire.........

Bill Gaiche

How about putting a couple of long 2x4's underneath and let them support the overhang. bg

Josef

Hi Jeff,

having hauled many thousands of tons of steel siding and roofing I would not hesitate to haul 20 sheets of 29 ga roofing 20 feet long on a 14 ft trailer. Don't forget lights or flags as required.

20 ft sheets weigh about 45 lbs each, 20 sheets total 900 lbs
make sure the supplier bands the lift tightly to stiffen it with the bands about 4 feet apart.
make sure you add a ratchet strap across the end to secure it from shifting backward when hitting the gas, and jam it against a solid stop at the front of the trailer to stop it from shifting forward when hitting the brakes. Steel siding can be slick as owl poop once the inertia is overcome.

I have white tin ceilings in all my heated shop buildings, love the bright reflective surface, ease of installing  and the insurance break for adding a fire block for my wood trusses.

Installation tips, borrow or rent a drywall jack, strap a couple of 16 ft 2x4's on it with a 3 ft piece bridged across each end to counteract the sag and its a one man installation job. Be sure to clamp the sheet to the 2x4's near the lift to keep it from sliding off the lift when you least expect it. If you're splicing sheets use the first sheet to support the end of the second by sliding the end of the second above the first. And before you secure the sheets with more than a few fasteners sight down them over the splice to make sure they're aligned sufficiently. Amazing how your eyes are drawn to misaligned ceiling sheets after the job is done. Always pick up the sheets by bowing them lengthwise like a trough and one person can handle 20 footers easily.

Wish I was closer, I'd be happy to lend a hand.

Joe

In my house I'm the boss, I know this because my wife said so, I only hope she doesn't change her mind!

New to me Timber Harvester that I'm learning to operate, been building a home built mill for a while, should be ready to make sawdust with it someday if I ever quit "modifying" the design.

whiskers

will you be insulating above the tin, if not will there be a condensation problem?
many irons in the fire.........

Jeff

My barn has residential trusses and is sheeted with osb with steel roofing.  Fully vented soffit and ridge vent. Using 6" rolled faced on ceiling. Walls have 1.5 inch rigid.

Den Socling

I agree with some others. I have hauled loads (26' vac kiln heating plates) before I had the right trailer. The overhang lifting the tongue can make everything squirrelly. Also agree with whiskers. The third section of my steel building was put up by a contractor. It's fully insulated but condensation was still like rain. They had to come back and seal it perfectly to keep warm moist air off the steel roof.

caveman

If you are worried about the tail wagging the dog because of a lack of tongue weight, you may carry some ballast with you to add to the front of the trailer (tractor weights, blocks, water tank, etc.).  As for the overhang, there have been many suggestions that should work well. 
Caveman

paul case

I used steel roofing for the ceiling in 2 houses that I built. I like it cause it is easy and fast. Holds up that 2 ft of blow in insulation fine.

For installation we made some T 's out of 1x4 or 1x6 just the right height to hold the metal to the ceiling joists. our first was all 8' sheets so they were real easy to hold up and the second had 22' pieces and they were still easily held up by only 2 T's.If it had been a tall ceiling I think 3 people could easily put up 20' long sheets with only 1 ladder.

I think you will have no trouble hauling them on a shorter trailer but if it is low to the ground, watch going through them low spots as you dont want to drag that new metal on the ground very much. Serious sparkage at high speeds.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

jwilly3879

Have them strap it to a couple of 20' 2x12's

jollyrogers100

Quote from: Josef on December 14, 2016, 10:02:46 PM

Installation tips, borrow or rent a drywall jack, strap a couple of 16 ft 2x4's on it with a 3 ft piece bridged across each end to counteract the sag and its a one man installation job. Be sure to clamp the sheet to the 2x4's near the lift to keep it from sliding off the lift when you least expect it. If you're splicing sheets use the first sheet to support the end of the second by sliding the end of the second above the first. And before you secure the sheets with more than a few fasteners sight down them over the splice to make sure they're aligned sufficiently. Amazing how your eyes are drawn to misaligned ceiling sheets after the job is done. Always pick up the sheets by bowing them lengthwise like a trough and one person can handle 20 footers easily.

Drywall jack is a great idea.  I'll need to remember that.
Energy King 480EK, 1967 Ford 4000, 12 Ft flat bed trailer, Husqvarna 455 Rancher And a Farm and Fleet 3pt splitter

Jeff

Quote from: jwilly3879 on December 15, 2016, 09:41:48 AM
Have them strap it to a couple of 20' 2x12's
I could rent a longer trailer cheaper.

jwilly3879

The yard always lent me the 2x12's I returned them after the tin was installed.

isawlogs

Strap the tin together put it in the trailer and bring it home, as long as it is strapped together it won't buckle on you.  :)  If you are worried about fishtailling, keep it undeer 50MPH and it won't.  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

LeeB

I brought home 9 sheets of 24' on a 16' trailer a couple of weeks ago. I just put a ratchet strap around the end and tightened until it bowed up, giving it a little strength that way. Hooked another strap to the front of the trailer and to the back end of the steel to help it keep from sagging and also to keep it from sliding out the back. Made without any problems.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Jeff

Magicman

Yes you did.  Roll it up like cigarette paper to prevent it from crinkling when you handle it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Tammy and I unloaded it a sheet at a time and it is now in the barn ready to go.

Magicman

You gots a good woman there.   smiley_thumbsup 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

trapper

Like your new picture much better than the grumpy santa.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!