iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ALMOST HAD A BOILER OVERFLOW .

Started by Gearbox, December 13, 2016, 07:51:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gearbox

12 below this morning . Went out about 8 to check the boiler and it was steaming out of the vent . Checked the temp OH OH 206 and boiling in the cross tubes . Kicked up the heat in the shop and went to find out why . Well one of the solenoid's had hung up and not closed over the blower . A little 3 n 1 oil and back working fine I hope . Didn't even have to add water .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

dave_dj1

Sounds like the gods are shining on you. I'm glad it wasn't catastrophic.

Roger2561

Quote from: Gearbox on December 13, 2016, 07:51:20 PM
12 below this morning . Went out about 8 to check the boiler and it was steaming out of the vent . Checked the temp OH OH 206 and boiling in the cross tubes . Kicked up the heat in the shop and went to find out why . Well one of the solenoid's had hung up and not closed over the blower . A little 3 n 1 oil and back working fine I hope . Didn't even have to add water .

I had the very same problem this past Saturday.  I was getting ready to leave for a Boston Pops Christmas concert and decided to put enough wood in the Central Boiler E-Classic 1400 until I returned to add enough for the rest of the night.  When I approached the OWB I saw that the digit display showed a "HI" temp reading, meaning the water was over 200 degrees.  Looking around I saw smoke coming from the chimney.  Air was getting in somehow.  I decided to open the chamber where the primary air intake elbow was located.  The solenoid being held open by a piece of creosote.  After removing it, the OWB has been operating flawlessly.  I guess I got lucky.  Roger
Roger

doctorb

Thanks for those stories, guys.  Haven't had that one yet, but now I know what to look for.....
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Upstateguy650

Quote from: Gearbox on December 13, 2016, 07:51:20 PM

What kind of OWB do you have?   Havent had a HI temp yet.  Ive seen it flicker once or twice when the temp read in the mid 180's.  My firestar 1 may be glitchy.  Who knows.  But after a burn cycle ill notice some light smoke come out of the chimney for a bit.  Top solenoid doesnt appear to be stuck open at all by creosote.  Possibly residual smoke escaping?  E2300 here btw.  It usually hovers around 187 after a good burn cycle.  Only times i see it about that is when im loading it up she will hit the set temp or 1 degree over sometimes.  Bypass door appears to be opening and closing all the way too.   

Gearbox

It is a Crown Royal . All stainless steel has been a great stove .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Upstateguy650

I like those.  Unfortunately where I am there arent any dealers but CB.  Heatmaster has a few i believe just north of the border in Canada.  I do like their G-Series. 

thecfarm

I almost had a couple. Once the clean out for the ashes came loose and was letting air in. The other time the fan flapper had some clinkers in it and kept it open just a little.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Corley5

Quote from: Gearbox on December 16, 2016, 08:11:42 PM
It is a Crown Royal . All stainless steel has been a great stove .

You must have got a good one.  The one I had was stainless welded with mild steel wire.  Long story.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Gearbox

Since they reorganized everything is done in house .  I have been in the plant a number of times . I wish I had some of the tools they use like the computer water table cutter . CNC plasma and way more welders than they need they should give one to me .

Corley5

I've got a Heat Master SS now.  That's the deal we came to for replacing the Crown Royal that was literally coming apart at the seams.  The Crown Royal people blamed the manufacturer in Winnipeg and they blamed Crown Royal.  I feel they were both at fault.  Turf Master built the stove to Northland's spec's and should have seen fit to use the right welding wire.  Northland's specs should have been correct.  A judge ruled in Northland's favor.
  I really like the design and performance of the stoves.  The rocker grates and ash pan were what sold me on them.  No issues with my Heat Master after close to ten years.   

Gearbox

They call the company Greenteck mfg . Take a look at there web site .

glassman_48

corley5,
How long ago did you have your crown royal?  I am talking with crown royal right now about becoming a dealer.  Owner said they had some issues a few years ago and got them worked out.  Trying to be careful with a new product like this. 

Corley5

Gearbox

Glassman Keith and Ryan are great guys . Customer service is great . My stove was used and they still helped with anything I needed .

glassman_48

corley5, and gearbox,
Thanks, I met Keith at the Paul Bunyan show in Ohio this year, he spent a lot of time with me. His products were recommended by Brute force firewood processor owner.  His sales rep also showed up at my glass shop a month later and spent time with me.  I like their products, and customer service seems extra good but wont know until I get a problem :)

davewittwer

Had a rough morning yesterday.  Woke up to -27, peaked out the window and there was steam rolling out of the bung on top of my Central Boiler CL 5036, NOT GOOD.  Threw on my boots and a coat and ran outside.  Temp read out was at 212 with an awful roar coming from the boiler. I had loaded the firebox heavy the night before in preparation for the bitter temps and there was still some wood in the firebox making me think it had just hit the 212 mark when I got out there. Opened the damper cover and got the solenoid to close.  Ran back in the house, kicked up radiant and the forced air, started running the hot water in the tub and the washing machine.  Anything I could think of to pull heat out of the system and then started adding water back that had been lost.  Ended up putting about 20 gallons back in using buckets from the house and got the temp dropped back down. 

I have had issues with this solenoid sticking and have been cleaning with WD40 now and then to keep it running.  I think today I will head to the dealer and pick up a new one and a test kit.  Have to get the water chemicals back to right.  I don't think any damage was done as I caught it early but not the way i wanted to spend a cold cold morning.

Gearbox

Well done Dave . We need a Hi Temp alarm wired into the house . Good project for tech guys on here .

davewittwer

Gearbox,

A hi-temp alarm would be great.  I know some of the newer models have wifi capabilities but I don't know about my older classic.

Cass007

I couldn't live without the e-link for my CB 2400. I check it religiously twice a day and it is beyond helpful in figuring out what is happening with the unit at all times. You get to know the burn time and burn temp from day to day and kind of match it up with the outside temp and I can have a fairly accurate idea of how much wood is left in the box or how much time I have until it needs to be fed.

Becoming more Hillbilly with every passing year.

Kbeitz

A Hi Temp alarm would be very easy to put on your units.
Buy a small central processer and install a thermocouple
And hook on a bell. only six wires.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!