iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bad fuel

Started by 4430jd, December 12, 2016, 07:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4430jd

Just got back from my Stilh dealer. Had to replace the carburetor @ a cost of $48.00. He sales aviation fuel @ $6.50 a gal.. I did the all the labor. The leaf blower is 10 years old. Is it cheaper just to replace carburetor on buy the fuel? The dealer had a 5gal. bucket  full of bad carburetors. My chain saws will be next to go.

sawguy21

Is he selling av-gas or canned premix? At $48.00 the dealer can't afford to spend time rebuilding but there is no need to buy av-gas. 94 octane pump gas with quality mix oil like Stihl works well.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

John Mc

There are loads of stations in PA that sell ethanol-free auto gas. Try this link are any of them near you?

Ethanol-free autogas is all I burn in my saws, and I've had not problems. As a pilot, I have convenient access to aviation gas, but I won't burn it in my saws. I'm not really interested in breathing the exhaust from an engine burning leaded gas. (That's kind of a steep price for Avgas anyway. Most of the airports in my area are $5.50/gal or less. Several in my area are at $4.50 or less.)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

thecfarm

I have no idea how many small motors I have. I buy them walmart cheapie lawn mowers and call them my mini bush hogs. Not too far from the truth either. Anyways,I use them and shut them off with maybe a half tank of gas. Next year,I dump out what is there and dump in new gas. I buy the highest grade of gas I can. Never had much problems with carbs. Wife has one of those cheap weed eater trimmer. It's light,so she like it. That thing is 5-6-7 years old. Next summer I will dump out the old gas and dump in some new high octane mixed fuel and it will start right up. Maybe I have dumb luck. But maybe the high octane does it too. I sure don't know. I mean to empty the tanks out,but than I think I will use it the next day.  ::) Next day does not come sometimes.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!