iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Mighty Mite finally lives!!!

Started by GareyD, November 27, 2004, 03:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GareyD

Well it has only taken about a month with all the rain we've been having....But, today...I finally got to make sum Sardust   ;D ;D ;D

The first log on the new (to me) saw...15" top end x 12' SYP
Cut a couple of 4x4 and sum 2x4's for the saw shed I need to put over me and the saw...started raining just as I finished the log  :(

I guess if I had worked at it a little harder...I might have gotten a little more outta 'dis 'un  :D :D :D

Plus now I got me a start on one o 'dem slab piles for the woodstove and the chipper and the burn pile and... :D

"Preciate all the help y'all have given me so far.

Now if it will only quit rainin' mebbe I can figure out how to operate this complicated 'chinery!!!

GareyD
The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends, if they're okay, then it's you.

Tom

I don't know anything about MightyMites but it sure looks a lot like DanG's Mobile Dimension.   This is going to be interesting.  There's a bunch of us that will be learning along with your.  :)

VA-Sawyer

GareyD,
I'm a little confused. Is the MM a circular saw? How big is the blade. I can't see it clearly in the photos. Tell us more, like specs on max log capacity, or mill length and weight. Is it mobile or just portable ?  Tell us about the engine.... brand, horsepower etc.
OK...so I'm a lot confused,  ::)  but I really do want to learn more about other peoples saws.  Keep the pictures and info coming.
VA-Sawyer

GareyD

QuoteI don't know anything about MightyMites but it sure looks a lot like DanG's Mobile Dimension.   This is going to be interesting.  There's a bunch of us that will be learning along with your.  :)

Tom...
The MM is a lot like DanG's Mobile Dimension...or is it that DanG's Mobile Dimension is a lot like mine??? ::)...I called the factory with the serial #'s...they told me the mill was bought April 14, 1978...wonder if the feller needed to burn sum cash before tax time??? :D :D :D

QuoteI'm a little confused. Is the MM a circular saw? How big is the blade. I can't see it clearly in the photos. Tell us more, like specs on max log capacity, or mill length and weight. Is it mobile or just portable ?  Tell us about the engine.... brand, horsepower etc.

VA-Sawyer...
It is a dimensional mill...cuts and returns with finished lumber with every pass of the saw head...has a 30" horizontal blade with 12 removable teeth and a 13" horizontal edger with 4 removable teeth...can use 2 edger blades at a time for double production...maximum board is 4 1/4" x 12 1/2"...the book sez it'll take up to a 19 foot log...but ya' better getter placed right...only leaves about 2" on either end to play with  :o

The head and blades are hyd. driven by a 53 hp. industrial VW power plant (I really like this part...I can rebuild V-dub engines in my sleep!!)...the last owner punched/built it out to 60 HP  :o :o

The circa 1978 manual that came with it sez it is a portable mill...breaks down to about 20 pieces (I know this cause I put 'em all back together), but, I wouldn't want to move it on a regular basis  ;)

Now if it will only quit rainin' fer a couple daze, I' gonna make me a great big sardust pile.. :) :) :)

GareyD
The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends, if they're okay, then it's you.

Fla._Deadheader

We got one a dem wee-bubyahs. When we start it, the little feller that lives in the bottom, goes, peck-peck-peck-peck. ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

GareyD

QuoteWe got one a dem wee-bubyahs. When we start it, the little feller that lives in the bottom, goes, peck-peck-peck-peck. ::)

Have ya' counted yer yard chickens lately...if ya' come up missin' one, I'll bet it's either roostin in yer V-Dub...or in that fancy new go to meetin' hat ya' been sportin'  :D :D ;D :D :D ;D :D :D

customsawyer

GareyD
Great to see you up and running never hurts to have another sawyer in the state.
If you think you have learned anything from us on the forum just wait tell that mill takes you to school. :D
There is nothing like learning hands on.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

UNCLEBUCK

Congrats GareyD ! I hope you keep the pictures coming . Very good job !  Good luck on building your sawshed. I think the first couple weeks sawing is the most exciting time ever.
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

DanG

Congrats on getting that baby up and running, Garey! 8) 8)  You sound like you mighta nicked yer finger and got some sawdust in yer blood, eh. ;D  Looks like yer MM and my MD must be cousins. They both grew up in the same neigborhood at the same time. :)  I've not had the chance to lay neither eye nor hand to a MM, but I'll be coming up to N Ga in a couple of months. I'll just invite myself over to your place and have a look-see, if you don't mind. ;D ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Danny_S

I tot a Mighty Mite was one of dem dere hinky-dinky bandsaw thingys that ye run wit a big'n old chainsaw.... but I was wrong one other time........
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

D._Frederick

MM has models of this style saw that has over 100 hp diesel engines that can saw 20,000 bdft per day if they have all the equipment. Some big sawmill use this style mill to break-down over size logs.

VA-Sawyer

Now I'm even more confused. After looking at the pictures for a while I thought I could see the guard for the blade on the left side of the photo. Problem is the guard appears to be for a vertical blade.  Do circular mills refer to blades or shafts when they discuss verticle or horizontal ? Is there a site with video of a MM or a MD running ?  I'm curious as heck about this and frustrated that I just can't seem to get my brain wrapped around it  :(
If you run the double edger, does that mean that you get two  boards back ? I think I'll go do something simple like trigonometry.
VA-Sawyer

Fla._Deadheader

Va_Sawyer, let me give this a shot. All Circle mills run the blade Vertical. A Swing blade will switch the blade vertical to Horizontal, for different cuts.

The Horizontal edger blade(s) on an MD or an MM will cut into the side of the log or cant, while the large Vertical blade cuts into the log from the top-side.

Yes, a twin edger blade CAN produce 2 boards or 1 board and 1 slab edge, at the same time.

Technically, the MM with a single edger blade, (you CAN run an MD this way also), will have to trim the top off the log before getting a 4 sided board. The MD does not have to trim the top first, although you can, if you want to.  There is a larger edger blade for the MD that will, in effect, make the MD the same mill as the MM. The larger edger blade will not work as a pair with the MD, to my knowledge. ;)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Ianab

Hi VA

I think Garey made a typo, the saw will have a large Vertical blade and one or 2 smaller horizontal (edger blades). What you are looking at in the pic will be the large vertical blade and it's guard.

It's not so hard once ya see one work ;)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

GareyD

Yee-Har-r-r-r-, man this sar can really crank out sum sardust...started this morning at 8:30...sharpened the chain sar...fueled the tractor...then proceeded to drop sum trees around the mill that was growing in the wrong places since I put de mill down 'dar on the hillside...limbed dem trees and cut em up to 12 footers....stacked sum o' dem on the mill and crunked her up...started out pretty slow, tryin to get the hang of it...finally seemed to get the rythym goin and was a sarwin and off loadin on the tractor forks and cantin and rollin' and doggin' and just in general havin' the time o' my life   ;D  ;D  ;D

Sure was glad my almost Son In Law come by just before 3:00 and hepped me stack and stick 'dem boards...we was done by 4:00, counted up and had 615 bd ft....didn't think that was too bad for a first day  ;)  ;)  ;)  "Course now I'm settin' here soakin' some sore muscles in alchohol and doin' it right...I'm soakin' 'em from the inside  :D  :D  :D

DanG...Yer always welcome around here...PM and I'll send address, directions and phone #'s...plus ya comin by will save me postage on dem grits and meal I promised ya... :D

Va_Sawyer...Sorry If I muddled yer thinkin up by puttin 2 horizontal blades and not puttin a vertical in my other post...didn't do it intentional  :-[

Fla_Deadheader and Ianab...Thanks fer helping to clear up my previous messed up...sumtimes mah fingers get movin' faster'n my brain...the sad thing is I only type with 2 fingers  :D  :D  :D

GareyD

DanG

Wow, Garey! 615 is a pretty good figger, since it included dropping the trees and all the other work that is involved! 8) 8)  Sounds like you had a great, exciting day.

I'm glad you ain't fergot about them grits & meal, 'cause I sure ain't! ;D  Do you produce that stuff yerself?  If so, you just gotta share some info on that operation. :P
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Swede

Think I have to STOP reading Forestry Forum, got a new headache right now.  

I  "only"  need an angular gear......two pillow block bearings....2 movable circular blades on an axle..... ::) 2 levels..... ::) and put it all together. Then I have a 2 blade edger behind the band. Please, stop me before I go into that! :o

It´s 9 o´clock in the morning here, think I´ve better go to bed again. Can´t get anything good out of a day beginning like this......I think  ???

I DO like that Mighty Mite!  :)  :)

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

VA-Sawyer

FDH,
Thanks for the info. That makes a little more sense to me. You are correct of course when you say that it is a lot easier once you see something actually running. I may have to do like Dang and just invite myself down there to see it. Might even take old clothes so I can 'help'. :D

GaryD,
I'm glad you are having fun with the mill. If you get time after soaking your sore muscles, how about a few more pictures.

VA-Sawyer

Stephen_Wiley

To those of you back east who may be wondering about the differences in the MM and the MD.

I ran both in the early 80's, it would be a fair statement to compare them in design only as MD which was made first sold the basic mill design rights to MM.  That is where to the chagrin of MD the ball stops.

MM took the design and improved the steel, fastners, etc. Than began to seek a larger market worldwide with a faster stronger built mill using the MD initial basic design.

The mill pictured above is similar to one of MM earlier models. We had two of them and a couple of MD on site. The MM consistently out performed the MD but as I already said that was due to increased hp, stableness, etc.

Now you can fit the entire track of a MD inside the center of a MM track.  

Both factories are in the Portland Area.
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Thank You Sponsors!