iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Four and a half years in...

Started by Sheepkeeper, December 10, 2016, 08:50:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheepkeeper

I sawed a backstop  :( . Was sawing some short logs for a customer, you know, the hard to hold kind. The tip of the backstop was clear of the end of the log and I knew that it was real close to blade height so I was planning to stop as soon as the blade exited the log. Didn't stop fast enough and ziiinnnngggg ..... facepalm! Oh well, it was bound to happen sooner or later. Got that one under my belt, let's see what else I can cut into  :D .

The hurry-er I go the behind-er I get.

4x4American

You must not have been very hungry  :D
Boy, back in my day..

WLC

Wow, You did good if it took you four and a half years.  I think I did that on one of the first few logs I sawed. :D
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

Magicman

Well DanG!  At least you did wait 4½ years before you decided to shine it up.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Darrel

It was the first time my son was running the mill for a customer and wouldn't you know it, he hit the back stop. I laughed.

Well you know the old saying about pride going before a fall. . . . .

We changed the blade then it was my turn. What an aweful racket!   8) 8) 8)
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

kelLOGg

Slow learner - or maybe fast - got me beat. They say you only do that once but I have proved them wrong many times.  ;)
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Sixacresand

I bet I didn't go 4 1/2 minutes before I hit something.  :D
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

redprospector

You're not supposed to hit those?  :D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

scully

I hold the world record for sawing backstops . Some of the time it was me being dumb . other times it was trying to hold something I shouldn't have sawed anyway .   
I bleed orange  .

WLC

I even went as far as trying to saw my log turner claw with mine.  Just changed to a new blade and the first cut I made I tried my best to saw the turner claw in two.  I had loaded the log with the tractor and used the log turner to position the log for the first cut.  I got it positioned and for some reason in my mind thought I had it clamped instead of held in place with the turner, so I didn't move the turner back down and out of the way.  Started sawing and then ZING, ruined a completely new blade.  Hope I don't do that again.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

WV Sawmiller

Now all you need to do is forget and leave the leveling roller up and saw a few wedges.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WDH

I am sure that nobody else has ever done that  ::).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bluejay27

I left my helper with a razor tip blade. He sawed half way through the dog, and not just the tip, dead in the middle. Now he runs that mill, what is wrong with me >_<
'98 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD42 Super, '08 LT40HDG28, '15 LT70HDD55-RW, '93 Clark GPX25 Forklift, '99 Ford F550

fat olde elf

I remember you at the Pig Roast.  4 1/2 years is a long time. We are all on a learning curve. After 13 years I still hit things.  Not unlike Kellog, my friend...
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

GAB

This thread sure brings back memories of last week.
I have the rollers on my hydraulic operated log stops and last week trying to saw some small, hard to hold, cedar I shined the bolt holding the first roller not once but twice.  Now I've hit the bolt head 5 times since Feb of '05.  If I ever want to remove that bolt I may need to consider using the sawzall.
Also, last week the spring that keeps the toggle switch for the up and down of the head gave me the high five.
My suggestion to some of you folks is to invest in a few of those (spares) as there are two on the mill.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

paul case

Quote from: GAB on December 13, 2016, 08:07:07 AM
Also, last week the spring that keeps the toggle switch for the up and down of the head gave me the high five.
My suggestion to some of you folks is to invest in a few of those (spares) as there are two on the mill.
Gerald
I may need you to draw me a picture of that spring. I thought I had been ''high fived'' by everything that could get you on a woodmizer LT40. Maybe I have been hit hard enough that I can no longer remember?

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Larch

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on December 11, 2016, 06:56:08 PM
  Now all you need to do is forget and leave the leveling roller up and saw a few wedges.

Just a couple of weeks ago I did that for the first time.  Was sawing two 11 x 23 out of two gorgeous logs.  Got the first one done and was feeling really good -- these were incredible logs.  Then on the second one I left the back roller up on the third face.  Had to make them both 8 x 23. 

How the heck did I not notice that the log was inclined 3" off the deck of the mill?  I've hit the backstops more than once -- but sawing a wedge?  Ouch.   

GAB

Quote from: paul case on December 13, 2016, 08:17:18 AM
Quote from: GAB on December 13, 2016, 08:07:07 AM
Gerald
I may need you to draw me a picture of that spring. I thought I had been ''high fived'' by everything that could get you on a woodmizer LT40. Maybe I have been hit hard enough that I can no longer remember?

Mr. Case:
I saw your question this morning and spent time going through my W-M books trying to find a diagram with it and couldn't.
The part number of the coil spring is P12570 and there are two of them.  They hold the control head side handles centered.  When the spring fails the handle no longer stays centered and can move with very little effort probably 60 to 90 degrees with no resistance.  Note: 60 to 90 degrees is an uncalibrated eyeball estimate.
I ordered 3 of them - one to replace the broken one and a spare for each side.
As a side note I hope your fingers are not like the ends of fork handles and that your patience level is high.  It is a miserable little spring to replace (my opinion).
If you or anyone else needs additional information let me know.
Gerald

PC
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

GAB

Quote from: Larch on December 13, 2016, 02:53:50 PM
Quote from: WV Sawmiller on December 11, 2016, 06:56:08 PM

Just a couple of weeks ago I did that for the first time.  Was sawing two 11 x 23 out of two gorgeous logs.  Got the first one done and was feeling really good -- these were incredible logs.  Then on the second one I left the back roller up on the third face.  Had to make them both 8 x 23. 

How the heck did I not notice that the log was inclined 3" off the deck of the mill?  I've hit the backstops more than once -- but sawing a wedge?  Ouch.

I like having the small end towards the hitch end of the mill as I am more likely to see the toe roller up.
The other way around I've made quite a few wedges myself.
I have yet to see the door them 16' wedges go with.
Gerald

paul case

O I C

So you were replacing the spring. My mind was trying to figure out how you could get hurt by something outside the box.

BTW  no pictures. It didn't happen. Forum rules.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Brucer

Standard practice for me is ...

- Finish sawing a face.
- Push both toeboard levers down at once. Hold till the relief valve squeals.
- Turn the log.
- Carry on.

After 10 years owning a hydraulic mill, I just do it. Don't remember what got me into this habit :D :D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

OlJarhead

I'd like to say I haven't done that........ :D
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Darrel

Quote from: OlJarhead on December 21, 2016, 01:28:50 PM

Then just go ahead and say it. I for one won't be offended!
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

OlJarhead

Quote from: Darrel on December 21, 2016, 01:50:04 PM
Quote from: OlJarhead on December 21, 2016, 01:28:50 PM

Then just go ahead and say it. I for one won't be offended!

Oh but I have! lol -- the side supports (two of them, different events), the log clamp (barely but I did) and I'm probably forgetting one....and that in the first few months! (note I also hit the side support and clamp on my LT10 once a piece)....
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Brucer

I guess you thought the LT40 was different :D :D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Dan_Shade

I hit my 2 plane clamp cylinder with the debarker.

I got to buy a new cylinder...
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Thank You Sponsors!