iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

GOT IN A LITTLE MUD!!

Started by thatchipperguy, December 08, 2016, 09:52:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thatchipperguy

DeerMeadowFarm

Just when you think you're having a bad day at work....

When I bought my first truck, my father told me "Just remember, 4WD doesn't keep you from getting stuck; it just get's you stuck in worse places." I guess the same can be said for big equipment!

Jeff

Could have been much worse John!   

Many years ago when I worked for Oneal and Co in Clare, we were logging on Hatton road, just up the hill from old state.  It was the same kind of conditions after a brief winter time warmup. We had left the truck/trailer loaded with a load of hardwood pulp on the landing at the end of the day. Unbeknownst to us, just after we all left, the driver had his wife take him to the woods so he could haul it to Packaging Corp that night. Well, he buried it, just like your chip trailer. The problem was, he figured he would just leave it and leave with his wife and come back in the morning when we were there to get him out.  He had not listed to the weather. Behind the snow was a cold front and the night time temps dropped to well below zero.  When we got there, the thing was encased in frozen like concrete mud.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

timberking

Wow!    How many axles under the trailer and what kind of payload?  Our chip vans would not stand up. That is why we go to the woodyard in winter.  That driver has plenty of faith to stick it back there.  Unless you edited, congrats on keeping your cool.

Ed_K

X2 on your keeping your cool, I was impressed, Rita noticed you even laughed at one point.
Ed K

ehp

its super soft here right now as well and were just starting to get snow so hopefully cold weather to stiffen the roads up so the log trucks can draw , no way they can draw here now

sawguy21

Now that is STUCK. ;D If it freezes, you won't be going anywhere till spring.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Wudman

Next question......How did you get the chipper out of there?  Reminds me of a tract I cut on a service contract early in my career.  It was a Carolina bay (pocosin) in Hoke County, NC.  It had been an unusually dry summer and we had constructed a haul road out into the middle of the bay.  We had a system come through and it dropped about 8 inches of rain over a two day period.  I went to the tract on Monday morning and met my logger walking up the haul road.  He was stuck trying to drive in to the deck site.  I pulled my come along out of the tool box and we managed to get him moving.  I walked on into the deck and my heart sank.  The loader had sunk about 4 feet on the peat soils.  Water was standing everywhere.  A loaded truck was sitting on dragline mats on the landing, but he had to come out somehow.  We spent a couple of days hauling sand in to try and stabilize the road.  When that truck came off the mats, he looked about like the one in the video.  We had a skidder in front, one hooked into the front of the trailer on each side by cable, and an 850 John Deere LGP dozer pushing.  Things were going pretty good until we got to the first major curve in the road.  One of the skidders tied to the trailer got behind.  They drug him around sideways and just about turned him over before the kid free spooled the winch.  Life was interesting for a minute.  Anyway, got him on up to solid ground and turned attention to the loader.  We had to dig it out with the dozer.  There was some solid sand down under the peat.  We laid in a bunch of logging mats and the loader actually came to the hill easier than the truck.  I don't miss Carolina bays at all.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Peter Drouin

Good, you got the truck out. But, I'm glad it's not my field.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thatchipperguy

If your wonder how we got the Chipper out there just go to my youtube channel called That Chipper Guy!!! We had the chipper stuck last week going into that job, down a different road. It got cold finally and it's starting to freeze up!!

lopet

That reminds me about one of my own disasters dealing with black muck, which took about a day as well and then another day  to get the rescue unit out.  ;D  Well , we got everything out without braking anything, but I had no time for taking pictures, I was just too worried !!!
There was no one around to blame other than myself.

Glad you got er out and hats off for taking the time filming it.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Ken

That is stuck.  I don't feel so bad now.  Had 3 different trucks stuck at the jobsite today but paled in comparison to your situation.  This is a hard time of year for access.  Hope you didn't hurt too much gear.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

newoodguy78

Wow that puts new meaning in the word stuck. Certainly one hard earned load of chips,glad you got it out and excellent job keeping your cool.

ehp

now we got snow on top of the mud here , going to have to freeze everything so the log trucks can come next week to draw

barbender

Yes, this snow on too of mud situation seems widespread, and is making access difficult. I haven't worked for 2 weeks, many others in northern MN are in the same situation. Even the summer ground is in bad shape, there's just no where for guys to go. Usually you can find a different job to go to until things freeze or dry up, but all this moisture with temps hovering just above freezing has made a mess of everything.
Too many irons in the fire

gspren

You need a couple M88 tank retrievers on hand.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Logger RK

ATV's work pretty good to pack down areas when a cold spell is coming. If there's to much snow for them,then a snowmobile even. Around these parts it don't take much snow on the swamp grass to insulate it from freezing. But a little packing works wonders. I knew a older guy that had to move his bird feeder because the squirrel trail caused his water line buried 6 feet down to freeze one winter. Which it looks like me and The Boys will be ATVing today with the 5 above temp we have. 8)

Thank You Sponsors!