iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I wonder what a mink hide is worth

Started by WV Sawmiller, December 07, 2016, 09:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

I made a quick trip to town with the wife today and spotted a dead mink on the road. Being the shameless person I am I turned around and checked and he looked to be in good shape so I picked him up and skinned him when I got home. I am sending a deer hide and coyote hide to my hide buyer in the next few days so figured I'd throw it in. We'll see if it was worth the time and effort. It is a real pretty skin with a deep chocolate color with a small white spot on his chest and chin. Sure would take a lot to make a coat as this was a young male and about the size of a gray squirrel.

Did you know that a mink stinks? During the process I cut into the scent gland at the anus. I can see where trappers might collect it to put on their traps. Reminded me of the time many years ago when I skinned an otter I had killed in NW Fla. I gave the hide a jerk to pull it away from the anus and got sprayed by the gland contents. I spit and gagged and like to lost my cookies. Not only that, for weeks after that when I would go in the woods all kinds of animals would try to get real friendly with me.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

DDW_OR

Did you know that a mink stinks?

mink, otter, martin, ferret, are all in the SKUNK family. just some are more distant relatives.
"let the machines do the work"

rjwoelk

Look up North America Fur auction.
I think you are too early for a good pelt, when I was trapping we were into dec till late feb.

Made back to ontario with my load, was a wonderfull drivenup through va then pa.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: DDW_OR on December 07, 2016, 09:37:35 PM
Did you know that a mink stinks?

mink, otter, martin, ferret, are all in the SKUNK family. just some are more distant relatives.

Yes. I knew that they were all related and some are worse than others as to odor.
Quote from: rjwoelk on December 07, 2016, 09:41:03 PM
Look up North America Fur auction.
I think you are too early for a good pelt, when I was trapping we were into dec till late feb.

Made back to ontario with my load, was a wonderfull drivenup through va then pa.

Glad you had a good trip. Still looking forward to meeting some time.

I realize the fur may not be as prime as others but I assure you this one's fur was as prime as it was going to get. Sort of like my ash trees - this was a salvage operation. I'd rather see him in some ladies coat than a greasy spot on the road.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

trapper

stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

WV Sawmiller

Thx trapper. I was hoping more. I would not trap them for that but if a hawk or eagle accidently drops one in my lap or the car ahead of me hits another one I'll go ahead and skin it. Not much different that skinning a squirrel except for the smell and I try to be a little more careful skinning them.
Howard Green

coxy

they are saying muskrats are going to be high this year

trapper

My buyer who has routes in several states is paying $3.50 tops for muskrat.  That is maybe 1 in 50.  average is $1-$2.  He didn't start buying until December.  He normally comes once a week.  This year once a month.  He pays $5 for a deer hide or trade for a nice pair of leather gloves.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Den Socling

Too many PETA idiots for the fur industry.

LeeB

Speaking of skunks, is there an all black skunk? I saw the other day what looked like a skunk but it was all black.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: LeeB on December 10, 2016, 12:32:37 PM
Speaking of skunks, is there an all black skunk? I saw the other day what looked like a skunk but it was all black.

Lee,

Sounds like a color phase. I have seen nearly all white skunks so stands to reason would be an occasional all black one. Did you get a good enough look at it to make sure it wasn't just a black fox squirrel? They are pretty common and in some areas they are nearly all black.
Howard Green

LeeB

It was out at night. I saw it in the road as we were driving in to home. Def not a squirrel. Way to big for that. Looked just like a skunk but all black and maybe a little longer fur. Walked like a skunk too. There is an abundance of skunks in the area around where our new house is. Could be just a genetic fluke.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ox

I've seen an all black skunk once, too.  Just one of those things...
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

gspren

Quote from: trapper on December 10, 2016, 10:02:20 AM
My buyer who has routes in several states is paying $3.50 tops for muskrat.  That is maybe 1 in 50.  average is $1-$2.  He didn't start buying until December.  He normally comes once a week.  This year once a month.  He pays $5 for a deer hide or trade for a nice pair of leather gloves.

I got a bit more than that 50 years ago without even skinning them, just dropped them at a local buyer.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

WV Sawmiller

Well, we will find out in the morning. My wife has a dental appointment over near where the hide buyer lives so she will drop them off to him on the way to her appointment and we will see if a deer, coyote and mink are worth skinning. Well, the deer hide had to come off extra so the only extra work was storing and transport.
Howard Green

Logger RK

A Trapper friend of mine was telling me today that fur prices pretty low this year. He was saying a coyote probably $15 on average. Guess we'll see what they go for over that way tomorrow  ::)

WV Sawmiller

Yeah, my buyer had said about $15 for a coyote hide and mine is a very small coyote (23 lbs) so I won't be surprised if even less.

He told me not to even bother with coon hides as not worth the effort to skin one.
Howard Green

Logger RK

My Friend usually Traps coyote & beaver in the winter,but he's not sure if it'll be worth it this year. I told him it's better then watching Tv all winter. He works construction all summer & layed off in winters. Plus my youngest Son started trapping with him late last winter. So I'm hoping he does so,my Son can learn from him. I did a little beaver trapping many years ago,but Logging took over full time. I think my Friend has not Trapped since he started over probably 40 years ago. I think trapping with my Son will be good for both of them. My Son's in his later 20's & my friend is later 50's. So wisdom of the older with energy of the younger may work out good

WV Sawmiller

Logger,

Your friend must be a lot better skinner than I am if he's trapping beaver. That is the hardest animal I ever skinned. I had to cut the hide away from the meat every step of the way. I don't know if you can use the compressed air trick to separate the hide and meat.

My wife just called and said the guy paid $6 for the mink. He said because it was a male it was worth more. The coyote pup was $10 & the deer hide (175 lb buck) was only $4. He pays the same for all deer hides normally without even looking at them to see how carefully or carelessly they were skinned.

Anyway I am glad it will be used rather than just totally wasted.
Howard Green

Ox

Why is fur so cheap?  Is there any fur that pays well to make it worth a man's while?
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

coxy

when I trap if I can recover 1/2-3/4 of what I spent I feel I did good for me its not to much the money end its about being out trying to out smart the things your after and being out doing what I like  8) 8)

Logger RK

When I trapped with a different buddy back in the day,I believe we got around 50 beaver that winter & I did most of the skinning. My buddy did a few also though.It didn't seem to difficult back then to me,but I do believe my buddy put a few holes in a couple.But being raised on a farm I'd helped butcher animals since I could hold a knife. That was the second winter I trapped,the first winter Marty taught me about beaver trapping.

coxy

beavers are stupid if you get one in a 330 the others will climb/walk over the dead one the one year we was getting 95 a pelt for the rugs I don't think there that bad to skin its neat how they are a circle after there skinned

Logger RK

I believe around here in 1978 the average price for a beaver was $20. Also back then legal drinking age around here was 18. So if Me & my buddy only got one for the week we were set to go to The Pub that weekend. 3 beers each & play pool all night. We were living The High Life back then. We had a old horse we'd take every once in awhile to check traps,usually if it was a clear night. The colder the better we figured. Usually build a small Bon fire & bring a nipping jug. The horse always knew the way home,which was good sometimes.  8)

coxy

Thank You Sponsors!