iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Show us your Wood Pile

Started by Mark M, November 26, 2004, 09:55:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark M

Here is a picture showing part of mine. The whole thing is about 60 feet long. At this end it is 5 rows wide and 3 at the other.

Phorester

I'm guessing about 10 cords. Is that close? Is this one winter's supply?

Jeff

Mark, do you have green shorts on in that profile picture, or yellow with pink "POLKA" dots? :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Mark M

Jeff - I only have one pair and that's the one's with the polka dots. (I wear them all the time) :)

Phorester - I don't know exactly, we are going to measure it to find out. I think there is more because I hauled 3 truck loads with my grain truck and the box should hold just about 3 cords. Those 3 loads are in 3 partial rows, 2 of which are showing. I hoping it will be enough for this winter but da thurdy-room house is really using a lot of wood and so far it hasn't been cold.

I'm going try combining the pictures so you can see the whole pile in one picture. I really like wood piles, gives me great satisfaction being able to see the work we have done.

Timberwerks

I wish I had a didital camera. I think I have at least 20 cords here now. Anyone want to help me split? ;)

Dale

Engineer

I'd need a really wide-angle lens to get all of my woodpiles in one photo.  Actually it would have to be an aerial photo.  I've got thirty-something cords stacked up in 'regular' firewood and slabwood, and the regular firewood piles weave like a big snake down through the woods.  One pile I measured at 140 feet long, another is about 65 feet, and there's a couple more smaller piles, 20-30 feet, and the slabwood is about 50 feet long, nine feet high and averages three feet wide.  We piled it as we cut it, and it's kinda funny to see this five-foot-high firewood wall - like the Great Wall of China - heading off into the trees.  I'll only be able to burn about 12 cords a year, so I'll have to find a home for much of it before next year.

SwampDonkey

I've got 10 cords inside in the basement and 4 cords outside for next winter. Feels alot nicer than fuel oil for heat, and much cheaper. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

rebocardo

I do not know how much wood I have, but, just from one tree I got 4+ cords of split white oak sitting in my driveway, 4x4x32. I turned much of that tree into lumber. I love big GA white oaks :-D

I am due to take down three more oaks in the next couple of days. So, I would guess I am at 10+ cords and counting soon to be 15. I have a 36" oak from last year I have not even split yet. Bad thing is it has started to grow a lot of mushrooms. My problem is I have run out of plastic covering again. At $26 for a 10 x 100 foot roll it gets expensive.

SwampDonkey

That tarpolon is alot cheaper than you can buy it here. We used to go into Maine to flee markets in the summer and we could get tarps 16x20 for $12 and at home thay want about $40 bucks. Same tarp.

cheers

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Timberwerks

White Oak sounds nice. I was hoping to get some Oak here but so far no luck. I have plenty of Maple, Ash and Elm. A while back I helped a friend with a lot clearing that had a lot of smaller Walnuts that I wanted but the builder kept all of those for his own. They weren't large enough for worth while milling but perfect for firewood :(

Dale

pappy

rebocardo,

Lumber wraps from the local lumber/hardware store work great,and they're free for the taking. 8)

Made to take a beating when the lumber is in transit. I use them mostly to cove my lumber piles but have found many other uses for them, like covering my fire wood piles. The next best thing would be the wrappings from the ATV or snowmobile crates, they ain't quite as tough but they work, and watch out for the staples. :o

Plus ya never know what else ya might find in dat dumpster.  :D  :D  :D  :D

Plastic just crumbles when it gets cold.  :(
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Tobacco Plug

Temite,
Are the lumber wraps you speak of made of Tyvek?  If not, do any of you think that Tyvek would make a good cover for firewood?  It should be pretty water resistant and should also be able to stand up to the weather better than plastic.  I don't know, this is just my theory.
As for my firewood piles, well I have a couple of mounds where I split it.  My Taylor waterstove burns dry, semi-dry, and green wood, so I didn't bother with stacking it in neat piles.  I just go up to the pile with the loader on the tractor and get a scoop or two every few days as needed.  So far this fall, we've not used much wood.  Weather has been mild.
How's everybody doing out in cyberspace?

pappy

Lewis,

I'm not to certain what the wraps are made of but Tyvek is made to breath.  The lumber wraps are water proof.  Another good cover is the protective covers used when modular homes are transported, the inside is like rubber, Really heavy duty.

"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Haytrader

Having mostly mild winters  means the covered patio holds all the firewood we need.
But occasionally I need something to cover things with. Right across the street there are 15 of those big curved greenhouses. I would say they are 50' x 150' each. They have two layers of heavy plastic each and they replace them every two years. When ever I see them redoing one, I retreive thier waste. Spread it out and fold it for future use. Works great.
Haytrader

OneWithWood

You are looking close to ready for winter there Mark.  We usually run through about 20 cord from October through March.  I have a picture of about 10 cord stacked up from last winter that I will attempt to find and post here.  This year I have managed to get about 3 cord cut and stacked.  Fortunately the weather has been real mild.  We fired the boiler up for the first time on T-day.  Guess what my highest priority is now?  :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

OneWithWood

One With Wood

Tom

What kind of cord is 4x4x32, Rebo?  I figure a cord as 4'x4'x8'.

Is that a way of showing a full cord as a face cord?

SwampDonkey

Its one of them there 4 cord, cords. :D :D Read it agin ;)

rebocardo

> Lumber wraps from the local lumber/hardware store work great

You know, there are three Home Depots in the city where I live. I think I will drop by and see what I can scrounge.

sprucebunny

OneWWood --Thats alot of wood to go thru each season.You must be a.)in great shape b.) busy loading stoves.
I'm not usually nosey but either your heating alot of sq. ft. or something VERY drafty  ???
I'm taking a couple of years off from wood heat after having nothing but for twenty years.(No furnace = no winter vacations!)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

OneWithWood

sb, yep that is a lot of wood.  As far as being in great shape goes I can't admit to that ::)  I just cut, split and stack.  My wife loads the furnace.

The primary cause of the high wood use is heating unisulated greenhouses full of tropical plants that like it above 40°F.
One With Wood

Thank You Sponsors!